Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 110

User Info Menu

This month’s winner is ‘There Will Never Be Another You’

I’m stepping in for wiz {Howie} who unfortunately is having computer difficulties. I’m sure he’ll be back next month at the regularly scheduled time.

I’ve decided to post a little early since we’ve had Stella for two months now. Perhaps some of you are ready for a change. So, without further ado……

Lead Sheet----------> https://app.box.com/s/1vnxfbzfi4vw68y1he9yrp1fa62v34wi

Backing Track (95 bpm) ------> https://app.box.com/s/irp6h17316xyre1k78wfkqlb9rd5bcqq

Backing Track (140 bpm) ------> https://app.box.com/s/gzyapoqogrdcsml8fb03d7r41h89jssy

Have fun!

Last edited by Dana; 02-12-2016 at 05:49 PM.
    Check out my new book, Essential Skills for the Guitarist on Amazon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm at the tail end of a 6 month stay abroad, I'll see if I can get it together to post a new one before the month is up when I finally get my favorite guitar back under my fingers. In the meantime, here's an 8 year old clip of mine from a similar thread on a different newsgroup

User Info Menu

pkirk, beautiful playing as always, and great tone on the Tele! Looking forward to the new version.

Sounds like the bar is being raised here, so let me bring it down a few notches

Here's an old video I did in 2007

Here's a quick take I did today with the same guitar:

Paul

User Info Menu

This one looks pretty easy, I could almost read it after some (serious) practice. Guess I'll join for this month.

BTW, good takes till now, everybody.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

So this is rather scary for me. Having heard every clip posted so far, all of which go beyond what I am capable of, I decided to post something anyhow. I was actually testing out my recording set up, reviewed this clip, and decided that I'd post it. It does not represent my best playing, but it presents some of my better moments and identifies areas where I struggle. I'm pretty good at the basic chord-melody style playing. Improvising lines is a struggle. When i stop playing chords, I get a little confused where I am in the tune. I get ideas, start a line, make a mistake… you know how it goes I'm sure.

So I wanted to post a real "slice of life" for me at this point in my jazz journey. I hope to learn a lot, and perhaps other beginning/intermediate players will get the courage to post their efforts. We never learn anything without putting our stuff out there, warts and all.

- Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Lawson, nice job - glad you posted it. I thought the chordal stuff was good and sounded confident . I can see where you started to hesitate a little on some of the single line stuff, but I think that’s a matter of getting the form of the tune to a point where you can naturally feel 2, 4, and 8 beat phrases. I used to take a 2 to 4-bar section of a tune and practice blowing single lines over the changes using straight eighth notes over and over till I could nail it, then move on to the next section. Eventually, the counting became more instinctive and I could add some syncopation without getting lost in the form.

Paul

User Info Menu

Lawson
    it sounds real good to me. you've got lots of good stuff, especially the chord soloing.

One thing about this comment

It does not represent my best playing, but it presents some of my better moments and identifies areas where I struggle. I'm pretty good at the basic chord-melody style playing. Improvising lines is a struggle.
    in my opinion, for every musician, the range between his worst moments and his best moments is not that wide, and the goal is to increase one's *average*. It is painful to hear yourself on a recording knowing that in practice you have done much better, but those of us who live outside your head probably get a fairly accurate view of where you are on the jazz path from any clip you post.

What I like is to hear is how people who participate progress as time goes on, and in particular how they approach certain things. I get ideas from all the clips posted.

User Info Menu

Thanks you all. Good encouragement and advice. I also decided to post because I don't want to be one of those guys who is all talk and no playing, all hat and no cattle. By posting, you know where I'm at, and I can't give speeches about music when I haven't got the chops to bear it out. I know I read the comments of those who post their playing very differently from those by non-posters.

My basic goals are to have my chordal playing move up a level to more interesting harmonies, and yes, to give birth to a decent line-playing ability. In all the years I've worked with jazz, I still don't know the fingerboard the way I should, and have trouble implementing things like chord-tones, arpeggios, etc.

So I'm hopeful that being active here will expose me to some good advice.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    My basic goals are to have my chordal playing move up a level to more interesting harmonies

OK, since you asked: try to incorporate some melodic minor sounds. A good place to start on this tune is to use C melodic minor on the F7.

User Info Menu

Here's my first bash at it. Playing on me tod for this one. There is, I'm afraid, an Explanation. I start playing at 1:27.

Last edited by christianm77; 02-04-2016 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

So I wanted to post a real "slice of life" for me at this point in my jazz journey. I hope to learn a lot, and perhaps other beginning/intermediate players will get the courage to post their efforts. We never learn anything without putting our stuff out there, warts and all.
    That's what it is for anyone who plays music....

It can be difficult for us musicians to accept that the playing on recording or video is actually how we play. It's never quite right haha....

Well done for posting! Nice one...

User Info Menu

lawson-stone do you listen to a lot of Barney Kessell? really enjoyed it.
    Christian class act everyone really nice, I listened to them all thanks, for the entertainment.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
    OK, since you asked: try to incorporate some melodic minor sounds. A good place to start on this tune is to use C melodic minor on the F7.
    Thanks for that. I need to bone up on the melodic minor. Do you mean the scale that changes going down from how it went up, or the "jazz" melodic minor, basically major scale with b3?
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post
    lawson-stone do you listen to a lot of Barney Kessell? really enjoyed it.
    Christian class act everyone really nice, I listened to them all thanks, for the entertainment.
    At one time I listened to tons of Kessel, and I can usually spot him after about 4 notes on a recording. I'd say next to Joe Pass and Jim Hall, Kessel has been among the players I've listened to the most.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Here's my first bash at it. Playing on me tod for this one. There is, I'm afraid, an Explanation. I start playing at 1:27.

Nice.

The fisheye lens thing makes your right had seem twice the size of your left.....

User Info Menu

Nice.

The fisheye lens thing makes your right had seem twice the size of your left.....
    No it's actually like that and it's very rude to point it out.

This is what happens when you spend to much time playing.... errr.... gypsy jazz rhythm guitar!

User Info Menu

... My basic goals are to have my chordal playing move up a level to more interesting harmonies, and yes, to give birth to a decent line-playing ability. In all the years I've worked with jazz, I still don't know the fingerboard the way I should, and have trouble implementing things like chord-tones, arpeggios, etc.

I think you should not insist on complication. I think you should insist on your feel of swing, because you have it. When you pick up the tune where you know it, it's really flowing. Play anything (in tune) with that feel and it will sound great. No need searching for complication. It will inevitably come and just in time, when you become able to play it.

What Pkirk said seem like very good place to start. Think I should try it myself sometimes.
    Last edited by Vladan; 02-04-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. I need to bone up on the melodic minor. Do you mean the scale that changes going down from how it went up, or the "jazz" melodic minor, basically major scale with b3?
    I just mean 1 b3 5 7 (not b7). what else you add is up to you, the usual starting point is to play with the scale 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7 both ascending and descending. but really I mean use the sound of a b3 and a (maj) 7

User Info Menu

I just mean 1 b3 5 7 (not b7). what else you add is up to you, the usual starting point is to play with the scale 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7 both ascending and descending. but really I mean use the sound of a b3 and a (maj) 7
    That has been a really hard sound for me to get into my head. I have a lot of trouble just thinking "Hey yeah, that b3 Maj7 goes here..."

What has helped in the past, (sadly), is that I've taken an idea and gone to the lick books and learned 3-4 licks built on the scale or mode, and then pretty much forced them into tunes until I got the hang of it.

Might have to do that on this one. I imagine there is a much more spiritually pure way to learn this, but nailing down a couple licks sometimes can implant the sound.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Here's one from me, comments welcome and appreciated!

User Info Menu

In the meantime, here's an 8 year old clip of mine...
    Paul, I have no idea why you insist on wasting away in academia when you could be raking in those sweet, sweet jazz dollars.

Good stuff, everyone! I have to say, it's so awesome to see this series revitalised. (That's Kiwi for 'revitalized'.) It was a bit of a dark time there for a while.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

Nice, fuzzthebee and destinytot

I'm at the tail end of a 6 month stay abroad, I'll see if I can get it together to post a new one before the month is up when I finally get my favorite guitar back under my fingers. In the meantime, here's an 8 year old clip of mine from a similar thread on a different newsgroup

love the tele, tone and playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    sweet, sweet jazz dollars.
    Hmmm

User Info Menu

PKirk - All I can say is it should be illegal to get that sweet jazz tone out of a Fender Tele! Nice playing.

User Info Menu

Nice, fuzzthebee and destinytot

Yeah that's a great tone....

See Telecasters rule!!! :-)

Having the right player helps too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit View Post
    PKirk - All I can say is it should be illegal to get that sweet jazz tone out of a Fender Tele! Nice playing.
    See I told you...teles can get the job done too

User Info Menu

Ok, here my first post in this Practical Standards thread.

I decided to use the provided backing track, the 140 bpm one.
    That is not easy at all on 140!
    I also decided not to be in temptation to hide myself behind triplets or 16th notes, just good ol' 8th's.

All comments are welcome.

HAns

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim View Post
    Ok, here my first post in this Practical Standards thread.

I decided to use the provided backing track, the 140 bpm one.
    That is not easy at all on 140!
    I also decided not to be in temptation to hide myself behind triplets or 16th notes, just good ol' 8th's.

All comments are welcome.

HAns
    That's nice. I like the tone, and you also not only avoid jumping to fast playing, you don't immediately jump to the high registers. The middle-range voice of the guitar sounds very warm. Listening to your solo, I realized I have the technical ability to play that, but I would not have thought of the lines you thought of. So much is in the mind's ear.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind comment Lawson!

User Info Menu

No it's actually like that and it's very rude to point it out.

This is what happens when you spend to much time playing.... errr.... gypsy jazz rhythm guitar!
    Hmmm, I think you just inadvertently revealed one of those professional 'secrets'...

User Info Menu

Paul, I have no idea why you insist on wasting away in academia when you could be raking in those sweet, sweet jazz dollars.

Good stuff, everyone! I have to say, it's so awesome to see this series revitalised. (That's Kiwi for 'revitalized'.) It was a bit of a dark time there for a while.
    Academia? Did someone say Academia?

Paul, what part of Academia do you inhabit?
    - Lawson

destinytot Guest
    Good Lord! Singing? SINGING? You mean... these are not just chord progressions designed to be hands of cards played by the Universe to see what the musician will lay on the table in response? Not just occasions for us to improvise?

They have... words?

Nice job! Your voice was nice for this. Solo was nice too.

Is that guitar new? A Benson?
    Lol! Not a Benson - an Ibanez AG95. (I wanted something with a small body and a shorter scale at the time.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Lol! Not a Benson - an Ibanez AG95. (I wanted something with a small body and a shorter scale at the time.)
    Well it sounds nice. I hate to make comparisons with your vocal, because invariably I pick the vocalist the person actually doesn't want to sound like, but your singing gave me a kind of Johnny Mathis or Nat Cole moment there.

Some of these jazz standards, from the very start, had melodies matched to words. The show tunes, for example. Others, though, like "Misty," were written solely as instrumentals and later someone wrote words for them. I have always wondered whether or not learning the words really mattered. Since I sing (a little) I have periodically learned them, but probably I should learn more.

On the other hand, some tunes I'd rather forget the words, if you know what I mean.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Paul, I have no idea why you insist on wasting away in academia when you could be raking in those sweet, sweet jazz dollars.*
    Hmmm

*jazz dollars are not recognized as legal tender.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

*jazz dollars are not recognized as legal tender.
    Ha ha. Jehu, you are a riot! Love the revisionist "*" in your Christianm77 quote as well.

Nice touch! The Internet is yours for the day, sir.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-08-2016 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Here'sy contribution for this month. Went "sorta bossa." And my guitar matches my shirt.

Enough folks have done the melody, so I'm going "jam of the week" style, one chorus improv, short and sweet.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-05-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    your singing reminds me of george benson.
    Man, you sound great on this one.

also, Lawson, glad you posted. I hear the Kessel for sure, you sound good. The notes are all there, just relax and the time will come more naturally.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

So many nice takes on this tune gents!

Here's a short solo version:

Paul

User Info Menu

With so many good posts in already, why don't we go ahead and vote on a next tune to keep momentum going?

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    your singing reminds me of george benson.
    Thanks - and I wish..!
    (Not sure, but I think George Benson has a tenor voice. Mine's baritone, and this is a bit high for me.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post
    With so many good posts in already, why don't we go ahead and vote on a next tune to keep momentum going?
    I'd like to get into a discussion about this tune, actually.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

destinytot Guest
    Well it sounds nice. I hate to make comparisons with your vocal, because invariably I pick the vocalist the person actually doesn't want to sound like, but your singing gave me a kind of Johnny Mathis or Nat Cole moment there..
    Thanks - I love Johnny Mathis's singing voice (like Al Jarreau, pure vibrato), and Nat 'King' Cole's the guv'nor for me. I also like Matt Monro.
    On the other hand, some tunes I'd rather forget the words, if you know what I mean.
    Yes, I think I do.

When standards are sung, I think the tempo needs to match the message of the lyrics - or at least not undermine it; whereas when they're played, I think the tempo can be powerfully effective - even while being (boldly) incongruous to the words. I'm thinking of '50s Miles - such as Workin', Relaxin', Cookin', Steamin`, and the intro to Autumn Leaves on Cannonball's Something Else - but there are probably better examples.

For me, Nat Cole recorded/sang this at just the right tempo.

User Info Menu

FYI, I can not listen to Sound Cloud clips, Links are only to their Cookie policy. I could only listen to fuzzthebee's entry from guitarplayer007's quote. There was a link saying: "This sound can’t be played outside of SoundCloud - Play on SoundCloud", which worked. However, I don't see that link in fuzzthebee's original post.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

I don't know. It worked good till couple a daays ago, now it's like this. I did not change anything in my settings. Anyway, I was able to heaar your clip. Others were not that lucky.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Since I have read that this thread is open to all levels, I also post a version. As you can hear, I am not very advanced on my journey to play jazz-guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I'd like to get into a discussion about this tune, actually.
    Indeed, I'd love to discuss it as well. For starters, I've been working a little with "Confirmation" lately and the changes for the A section of Confirmation are very similar to the changes on "Another You." differences in pacing, to be sure, but some of the same harmonic movements.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hats View Post
    Since I have read that this thread is open to all levels, I also post a version. As you can hear, I am not very advanced on my journey to play jazz-guitar.

I enjoyed this. You played totally within my own technical range, but played things I hadn't thought of. You nailed the changes, stayed with the tempo, and maintained a nice tone. Seriously, what's not to like about that?

I think you can just keep progressing. One thing I thought of, that would not go out of your present envelope, would be on the long holds of notes, add some chord-accents, especially where there is a chord change.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

[...] on the long holds of notes, add some chord-accents, especially where there is a chord change.
    This is a good idea, I will work on it. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Thanks - and I wish..!
    (Not sure, but I think George Benson has a tenor voice. Mine's baritone, and this is a bit high for me.)
    You did a nice job, Mike!

I agree that Benson is a tenor with a high first tenor range like Johnny Mathis, one of my favorites as well - the best I've heard at his age.

User Info Menu

Did we do the song Tenderly recently? I don't recall, but I was rehearsing it earlier to record it this afternoon. I would love to hear versions of this beautiful tune sometime soon. (Discussion about Benson and singing made me think of it this morning.)

Alarmingly but not maliciously "off-topic". Sorry.