The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 85

User Info Menu

Very Nice, as usual, Mster! I wish I could put something in but I had some bad luck and had to return part of my home recording system for repair.

Dana: Thank you very much for your help with your backing tracks on this one.

wiz (Howie)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Lots of good posts this month!

Here's mine:
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2000.mp3
    Oh yeah. That's really my favorite of all the posts. They've all given me a lot to think about and learn, but this one was also just plain fun to listen to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Lots of good posts this month!

Here's mine:
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2000.mp3

Someday. when I grow up......

Great thread again this month. This is a rough phone recording complete with clams. Sorry. I'll warn that it has vocals, somewhat goofing around at points. I'd really appreciate any feedback. This is a lot of experimentation toward the eventual goal of being able to play multiple choruses solo, at some time in the future. May try to post something with actual, real audio if I get a chance later. Thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

simultaneous recording of audio and MIDI guitar (GK3/ GI20)

Left channel: "Audio chords" and MIDI trumpet
    Right channel: MIDI Piano and "audio lead guitar"

Audio chords were simultaneously recorded with MIDI piano, both played on guitar in one take.
    MIDI trumpet was simultaneously recorded with "audio lead guitar", both played on the guitar in one take.

Rhythm is just strumming, lead is just noodling. No special preparation, or adapting style for MIDI pick up.
    I did not follow "changes". Somewhat out of key, I started that way after mistake in melody of the head, so ...

User Info Menu

It's a second time I'm participating, and it's great, I like the variety here, plenty of good stuff!!

I thought I do solo again, just for a challenge, and of course it kinda sucked- I got the wrong chord in the end, arghhh...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I thought I do solo again, just for a challenge, and of course it kinda sucked ...
    It surely did not suck. That was @220BPM? I thought of doing it @200, now I have to do it @320.

User Info Menu

Hep, loved your tone and lines.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    simultaneous recording of audio and MIDI guitar (GK3/ GI20)

Left channel: "Audio chords" and MIDI trumpet
    Right channel: MIDI Piano and "audio lead guitar"

Audio chords were simultaneously recorded with MIDI piano, both played on guitar in one take.
    MIDI trumpet was simultaneously recorded with "audio lead guitar", both played on the guitar in one take.

Rhythm is just strumming, lead is just noodling. No special preparation, or adapting style for MIDI pick up.
    I did not follow "changes". Somewhat out of key, I started that way after mistake in melody of the head, so ...

TBH I find playing the tune to be the hardest bit on every recording I've done.

Nice lines, BTW, digging the MIDI sound too....

User Info Menu

It's a second time I'm participating, and it's great, I like the variety here, plenty of good stuff!!

I thought I do solo again, just for a challenge, and of course it kinda sucked- I got the wrong chord in the end, arghhh...

Swinging!

I really like your reading of the melody as well....

EDIT: You can play whatever chord you want as the last chord. If you hadnt said anything I would have thought that to be an incredibly hip choice of chord...

Sometimes when I listen to Peter B's solo stuff it's almost like he's pushing the limits of what he can get away with.... And it works!
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-09-2016 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm really enjoying listening to everyone's take!

Since I retired from my job last month I have a little more time on my hands these days to participate in these threads...

Here's another attempt, chord-melody solo style going into a waltz duo. This is my first time ever using Cubase, plus on a new PC, so not sure how the good sound is going to be as I'm still getting the hang of it.

Paul

User Info Menu

Paul: Yet another fine version of this song. Very well done and a nice selection of chords for your arrangement.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Thought I'd join in on all the fun here. I'm enjoying listening and watching everyone's versions, even learning some new things too. Wanted to share a version I recorded last summer with the help of a friend that does videography as a hobby. My playing is straight ahead, trying to apply the many things I've learned since I started my jazz journey 20 years ago. It's been a ongoing work in progress and there's still much more to learn. Hope you all like it!

User Info Menu

Whoa! Eddie! Way to go dude! I think we need a thread where we learn all of Eddie Lastra's solos note-for note, maybe going... I dunno... 4 measures a day?

Seriously, that's some excellent playing. Super-Ultra-clean. Fun to listen to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Swinging!

I really like your reading of the melody as well....

EDIT: You can play whatever chord you want as the last chord. If you hadnt said anything I would have thought that to be an incredibly hip choice of chord...

Sometimes when I listen to Peter B's solo stuff it's almost like he's pushing the limits of what he can get away with.... And it works!
    Cheers! But I already planned to play a hip chord, that's the thing lol! I was going for x6777x , which is what, like Eb maj7b5#9 (no 3rd) kinda thing? Instead I missed and got the same shape a fret lower... Too hip make an ass, like they say

User Info Menu

Cheers! But I already planned to play a hip chord, that's the thing lol! I was going for x6777x , which is what, like Eb maj7b5#9 (no 3rd) kinda thing? Instead I missed and got the same shape a fret lower... Too hip make an ass, like they say
    'There's a fine line between clever and stupid' Spinal Tap...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    I posted this in December by mistake, anyway here's mine warts and all.
    Some great submissions this month, ice taken time to listen to a lot, I'll go back and address everyone individually, just had a busy month. Great work all very inspiring
    So that has to be, for me, the hippest playing of the head of any of the posts, all of which I've loved and learned from. But your handling of the head just swung so easy it knocked me out of my chair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So that has to be, for me, the hippest playing of the head of any of the posts, all of which I've loved and learned from. But your handling of the head just swung so easy it knocked me out of my chair.
    Hey Lawson,

Thank you for listening, I got a lovely blister on my thumb trying to learn the head in octaves but it made me think about things, mainly phrasing in a different way, still lots of work to do but enjoying the process. I'm going to try a different feel and post again if I get the time before the end of Feb.

destinytot Guest
    Some inspiring stuff here - love it!

User Info Menu

Hey Lawson,

Thank you for listening, I got a lovely blister on my thumb trying to learn the head in octaves but it made me think about things, mainly phrasing in a different way, still lots of work to do but enjoying the process. I'm going to try a different feel and post again if I get the time before the end of Feb.
    You're most welcome. I still am thinking about the phrasing you used on the head. I tend to play it so "straight" that it almost seems mechanical when I play it. I'm thinking about posting a second attempt, just to see if I can get it a little less lame than my first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So this is rather scary for me. Having heard every clip posted so far, all of which go beyond what I am capable of, I decided to post something anyhow. I was actually testing out my recording set up, reviewed this clip, and decided that I'd post it. It does not represent my best playing, but it presents some of my better moments and identifies areas where I struggle. I'm pretty good at the basic chord-melody style playing. Improvising lines is a struggle. When i stop playing chords, I get a little confused where I am in the tune. I get ideas, start a line, make a mistake… you know how it goes I'm sure.

So I wanted to post a real "slice of life" for me at this point in my jazz journey. I hope to learn a lot, and perhaps other beginning/intermediate players will get the courage to post their efforts. We never learn anything without putting our stuff out there, warts and all.

Great playing Lawson,

Lovely chord work, and great opening line to your solo, reminded me of Jimmy Raney.

Keep up the good work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra
    Thought I'd join in on all the fun here. I'm enjoying listening and watching everyone's versions, even learning some new things too. Wanted to share a version I recorded last summer with the help of a friend that does videography as a hobby. My playing is straight ahead, trying to apply the many things I've learned since I started my jazz journey 20 years ago. It's been a ongoing work in progress and there's still much more to learn. Hope you all like it!

Great playing, some lovely lines, phrasing and camera work!

User Info Menu

Great playing Lawson,

Lovely chord work, and great opening line to your solo, reminded me of Jimmy Raney.

Keep up the good work!
    That's extremely kind. Any day that I get spoken of in the same sentence as Jimmy Raney is a really, really good day! Thanks for listening!

User Info Menu

Great playing, some lovely lines, phrasing and camera work!
    That Eddie, he's got real camera appeal! He makes a simple YouTube video worth watching just because it's so nicely set up, lighted, and shot.

And the guy can play.

User Info Menu

so I done the tune in 2 keys, thought I'd share (excuse the ending, I couldn't decide how to end, so I just stopped)