Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

The Nov. 2015 Practical Standards Poll Winner is: "In Your Own Sweet Way" written by Dave Brubeck.
    Below you will find a BIAB Realtracks backing track consisting of a Canadian jazz guitar trio. This is a good jazz standard and I think you will enjoy working with it. Have fun with it!

Howie

backing track---->https://app.box.com/s/lj0u5e4m6xcior4x9yzopeu0fn8utg21

Lead sheet------>https://app.box.com/s/0jwli43d3ll1d11qkzhr
    Last edited by wizard3739; 11-05-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    Howie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice tune. Thanks for all your efforts Howie

User Info Menu

Good one... I was away for Joy Spring and much of last month, unfortunately; time to get back into things!
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested in thinking harder than Wes did about Wes' chord solo on this, here is a video to walk you through it:

Jay

User Info Menu

I think studying anything by Jimmy Raney Is a great idea but it should not be listed as a part of the Practical Standards Thread. Jimmy Raney has always been my favorite guitarist. I have both of the Aebersold Jimmy Raney books and would like to participate in the thread.

Howie
    Howie

User Info Menu

I'm a bit confused, Howie... but you are more than welcome over on the Raney thread!
    Jay

User Info Menu

Here's a version i did of this tune awhile ago:
    In Her Own Sweet Way

i treated it as a kind of fusion-y bossa.
    i'll have another go at it, though... such a great tune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I'm a bit confused, Howie... but you are more than welcome over on the Raney thread!
    Hi Jehu, I'm sorry It took me so long to get back to you, I have been having some windows 10 email problems. I did not intend to cause any confusion with my comments about your Jimmy Raney thread, I was just trying to indicate that it was out of place in the Practical standards thread. Sometimes I don't make myself very clear.
    Jimmy Raney has been my favorite guitarist/musician for a long, long time and I would very much like to see a thread here that studies/discusses anything about him or his son Doug. I have both of the Aebersold books, most of their albums and many of their transcriptions. For me , this has been a life-long enjoyable, enlightening study. Where did your Jimmy Raney thread go? BTW, I also have the first few chapters of his book that his son, Jon Raney, has been trying to finish for him.

best wishes,
    wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

I guess that's my confusion, Howie... I don't think the Raney study group was ever associated with the Practical Standards threads. (Of course it will be once those Raney lines start wending their way into our playing!)

Anyway, come on over; your Raney experience will be welcome! Raney Aebersold Vol 20 Study Group?
    Jay

User Info Menu

Here's my submission- two things of note

-I'm working on integrating diminished and melodic minor scales into my playing

-My wife would not permit Miles's flat five (E) to played in our house!

Comments are most appreciated:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post
    -My wife would not permit Miles's flat five (E) to played in our house!
    just tell her it is a sharp four

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post

-My wife would not permit Miles's flat five (E) to played in our house

She's in good company - the dreaded diabolus in musica!!! I remember from my counterpoint days !

http://www.diabolus.org/explanation/explanation.htm

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Damn, M-ster... just ridiculously, incredibly awesome. Great piano as well. You're not accompanying yourself, are you? Because that would be straight-up demoralising.

As if M-ster needs any more help sounding good, here is my contrasting attempt:
    Jay

As if M-ster needs any more help sounding good, here is my contrasting attempt:
    Dude. Maybe I missed something along the way, but that's in a different category from the stuff you were putting up a short while ago. Very nice.

You're going to have to throttle back the self deprecation with playing like that though. :-)
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 12-01-2015 at 07:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    Simply awesome and very professional version. Do you have any albums for sale? I really like your approach to music.

wiz
    Howie

Always enjoy, m-ster, but haven't heard yet. This link doesn't work over my mobile. Have you considered sound cloud? Works pretty well across platforms.

Looking forward to hearing later on another machine.

User Info Menu

Damn, M-ster... just ridiculously, incredibly awesome. Great piano as well. You're not accompanying yourself, are you? Because that would be straight-up demoralising ...
    Thank you, Jehu. Very kind. I played the guitar to a generic iRealb backing track, then I pieced the piano and bass in, bit-by-bit, using midi on a PC-based DAW.

Checked yours out, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard3739;
    Simply awesome and very professional version. Do you have any albums for sale? I really like your approach to music.
    Also very kind, thanks, Wiz! Nothing for sale -- I'm still trying to learn how to play this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher;
    Always enjoy, m-ster, but haven't heard yet. This link doesn't work over my mobile. Have you considered sound cloud? Works pretty well across platforms ...
    I didn't realize that the .mp3s don't play on all devices. I have a SoundCloud account, and I think the sound comes across more naturally when other posters use it -- at least on my Surface Pro, which seems to heavily compress .mp3s; but SoundCloud's admonitions against posting copyrighted material have prevented me from using it, to this point. Do you guys worry about all of that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    Dude. Maybe I missed something along the way, but that's in a different category from the stuff you were putting up a short while ago. Very nice.
    Thanks, Matt, but you did miss something: The 30-odd takes that came before that one!

Well, it looks like that's it for this one... do we have a poll for December?
    Jay

Best M-ster submission yet that I've heard. I would love to be able to play such an "attempt". Just outstanding.

I know you made the backing, but it doesn't sound like you're just "playing along with" the band, but real interaction. Nice arc to the whole form. The M-ster well is deep. Love the closing flourish btw.

Thanks so much for sharing.

User Info Menu

Not sure if it's better late than never, but here's a slightly straighter rendition of the November selection as promised:

And so, on to the December selection... omg, Stella By Starlight.
    That's going to take a lot of work for me.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 12-13-2015 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

hello never posted a vid or music clip ever , pretty dumb at that, i have some mp3 own sweet way etc , how do i put them up. just curiois, to see what some may think,

About time I posted a clip. or two

i use a very primitive system, i use ireal on my phone and and record on the phone. simultaneously, not idea but all i have. I try to make it swing, not really concerned with note choice, as anything can happen,

So if anybody could tell me how it would be good.

M