The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Below you will find a BIAB Realtracks Jazz guitar trio backing track and a corresponding lead sheet. This song is a good old standard ballad with a nice melody and some interesting chord changes. I hope you enjoy working with it!

wiz

backing track----->Box

lead sheet------->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I decided to participate for the first time now.

I've been working on learning and practising the song the last three days.

I made this chord melody arrangement of the head:

(I used a drumgenius drumloop)

I will continue to work on this song, and perhaps make another recording. I'll see if I can manage to improvise somewhat presentably over the changes and a backing track (now when I've written this, it will be hard for me to back out of it).

Constructive critisism is much appreciated.
    (I am aware of that the take isn't perfect and do notice that I can improve my timing and feel and "perfectness").

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me Orri, you got the feeling of the tune very well. I like the slides into the chords you did.

Background guitar collection looks good too!

User Info Menu

I wanna post a version of me playing along with Billie Holiday or Dexter Gordon. Is that allowed?

User Info Menu

I can't speak for others, but I'd love to hear your clean version, melody and all.....

User Info Menu

Define "clean". I like to dig deep to surface true meaning.

Is Billie Holiday's version clean?

Is Dexter Gordon's version clean?

Do you want to hear a changes based version?

A song based version?

A chord melody?

I understand that the song should be underneath it all and it should be recognizable.

But... Chris '77 was the only critique I agreed with for the last standard, because I know, after sharing my music with him, that he knows what I am trying to do with my music.

My "clean" might be different than your "clean" is all.

Not being difficult here, at least not in my mind. I've liked what I've heard thus far...

...However I am a big supporter of making the song your own. Even classical guitarists do this (though, more subtly) I am also big on making music out of a song, not just turning a song into an exercise where the point is to show people that I know the tune. Granted, you need to know the harmony to really knowing a tune, but that is only part of the equation. It also means using the tune to "tell a story"

When I listen to Billie Holiday sing this song, I think about today. I had a very long day at work. My gf is still sick with a bad cold. I wanted to snuggle up (I'm an emotional musician ) and she wanted space. So I put on this song and Billie took me away... When I play I want to do that to other people, take 'em for a ride.

Does that all make sense? Not being facetious here, this is how I try to conceptualize playing music for myself.
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-10-2015 at 02:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    (I am aware of that the take isn't perfect and do notice that I can improve my timing and feel and "perfectness").
    I'm working on the same things right now. I got the chord melody but can't really deliver it with conviction.
    I think your version will be great when it becomes natural for you to play.

One thing that I have to thank this thread for is that I started to record myself with last months practical standard.
    In the beginning it made me cringe and feel very bad about my playing.
    I always felt that I should do way better than what I just heard (a very dangerous thought imho)
    But then I managed to move a little towards accepting the fact that this recording is a snapshot of my playing, and that's fine.
    I got used to listening to myself and now the agony I feel while listening to myself has decreased by at least 7%.
    Its a great tool to learn humility.
    Last edited by ggjay; 10-10-2015 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Define "clean". I like to dig deep to surface true meaning.

Is Billie Holiday's version clean?

Is Dexter Gordon's version clean?

Do you want to hear a changes based version?

A song based version?

A chord melody?

I understand that the song should be underneath it all and it should be recognizable.

But... Chris '77 was the only critique I agreed with for the last standard, because I know, after sharing my music with him, that he knows what I am trying to do with my music.

My "clean" might be different than your "clean" is all.

Not being difficult here, at least not in my mind. I've liked what I've heard thus far...

...However I am a big supporter of making the song your own. Even classical guitarists do this (though, more subtly) I am also big on making music out of a song, not just turning a song into an exercise where the point is to show people that I know the tune. Granted, you need to know the harmony to really knowing a tune, but that is only part of the equation. It also means using the tune to "tell a story"

When I listen to Billie Holiday sing this song, I think about today. I had a very long day at work. My gf is still sick with a bad cold. I wanted to snuggle up (I'm an emotional musician ) and she wanted space. So I put on this song and Billie took me away... When I play I want to do that to other people, take 'em for a ride.

Does that all make sense? Not being facetious here, this is how I try to conceptualize playing music for myself.
    I think Boatheelmusic just meant that it will be easier for us to hear you making the song your own if we don't have Dexter or Billie distracting us in the background.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think Boatheelmusic just meant that it will be easier for us to hear you making the song your own if we don't have Dexter or Billie distracting us in the background.
    Irez87, another point, your recordings are so low level that it's really hard to hear what you are doing. If I turn the volume up, the background noise and hiss just swamps your guitar. I know you're using a laptop mic, but can't you adjust the recording level up in the laptop audio properties? I think it would help. Or maybe your guitar is too far from the mic, I don't know.

I don't think laptop mics are necessarily all that bad, I assume they are like the mobile phone mics.

User Info Menu

Graham, your suggestions about recording have been very helpful. You are a true musician in my mind because of your propensity to help others progress and with your own dedication to the craft.

I totally agree about the levels. I am trying to save my recordings to mid day because I am in a heated spat with my housemates downstairs. I finally got the parking spot in my lease, but they are being children about it. They even tried getting my car towed (I live in queens and teach in brooklyn, it would be a 2 hour ride with public transport. NYC...)

So I want to limit my playing plugged in so I don't give them anymore excuses to be difficult. I really have to own a house... I am saving up. But first, I have to save up for an engagement rig ::wink::

But I want you all to hear what I am doing, so I will do my best.

A couple of people said things about my playing last month, not saying names, that really irked me. Especially about my approach being too complicated. As I said, the only person I agree with is Chris '77 because he understands my current approach to learning tunes. He said I need to hit more of the harmony. But I also got people saying they couldn't hear the tune in my improv and that my approach was overly complicated... that last point drove me up a wall especially because I respected the guy who said it, but I have now lost my respect for him as a musician

...which is a shame because I know his nephew because I went to college with his nephew. And his nephew is a monster of a musician (he also plays jazz guitar) and he is also DOWN TO EARTH. There, I said it. Whatever, man. I ain't calling you out by name, but you know who I am talking about (not yous, boatheel and Graham)

So my comment was in response to that frustration. There have been a lot of amazing people on this thread who continue to help me on my own journey. If it weren't for those people, I would have quit the forum altogether. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-10-2015 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

One thing that I have to thank this thread for is that I started to record myself with last months practical standard.
    In the beginning it made me cringe and feel very bad about my playing.
    I always felt that I should do way better than what I just heard (a very dangerous thought imho)

It's a crazy thing about hearing yourself play, but it seems like other people always appreciate your playing more than you do. Every time I perform I am reminded of that. I leave the stage happy, cause I had fun. But, I always have an issue with what I played. Then I hear people, listeners, and legit musicians, come over to me and compliment me and I am totally confused. Are they still talking about me?

I get it. I really dig what you've contributed to this thread, gg. Keep it up

User Info Menu

These are sketches of my arrangement. I am trying to use the Billie Holiday recording as an inspiration. The arrangement is done by ear, no thinking of theory. I know it's not complete, but I wanted you all to hear the process:
    You know... strange thing about your playing.. not only this one... those before too..
    I did not say anything becasue I was not sure how to say...

There's something I really like in it... something very authentic - very 'yours' probably...
    I can hear you have this kind of natural confidence about musical ideas and sound production...

But...

Let me say it like this - metaphorically: I seem to hear what you want to say with and it is really interesting - it moves tome to take more care - involves and drwas my attention.. but as result - after all - you just don't say it...

User Info Menu

Thanks Jonah. I really appreciate that, brother.

My response to this: Let me say it like this - metaphorically: I seem to hear what you want to say with and it is really interesting - it moves tome to take more care - involves and drwas my attention.. but as result - after all - you just don't say it...

That lack of follow through, I think that is what you are referring to, right? That comes from what my therapist called the "critical me" taking over. I get all into the music and hearing, and my mind goes "that note sounded horrible, wtf, man!" and it totally screws with the fluidity of my line. Instead of just playing through the mistake, I hesitate. That breaks the flow and the "musical space" big time for me.

It's a work in progress. Controlling my "critical me" and controlling my "in the zone musical space". I've read Kenny Werner's stuff over and over again. It's just about committing to it.

Thanks again for the comments

User Info Menu

Orri sounds nice man, sound balance of melody is really clear and sings on top - personally like to hear stronger bass at times as there's only a few times where it becomes really apparent.
    Could even throw in a few more inversions / b5's for variety Just my taste though - keep it up looking forward to next one :-)

P.s mines used a drumgenius loop, that app is the dogs bollocks!
    Last edited by AndrewPat; 10-13-2015 at 05:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Good point Andrew, just about solo arrangements in general. Bass movement keeps the arrangement grounded. I need to add more of that into my own arrangement. I like this whole "building an arrangement as a process" thing...

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot Andrew.
    I really liked your recording too. I especially liked the close voicings with small intervals between the chord notes (and tentions) to the melody

I agree that my recording sounds indeed like it lacks a bit stronger bass.
    I've been practising bass less voicings, and was trying to apply and play around with that, so it was intentional to focus more on using voicings that are on the boundary of my usual comfort zone, so I focused a bit less on nice bass movement.
    The first chorus was mostly on the top 4 strings, partially inspired by the beginning of Wes' recording of In your own sweet way. (I spend quite some time on that part)

User Info Menu

Thanks for proposing this and for the excellent lead sheet, Howie!
    Here's my first attempt at a version, accompanying myself on the looper:
    You've Changed

It's a very loose interpretation of the tune, but it was fun to play it this way anyhow.
    Oh, BTW, the guitar was tuned a half step down, so i'm in the key of D. Sorry about that...
    Comments and any constructive criticism welcome!
    orri, i enjoyed your chord melody version of the head very much; hopefully you'll continue on with a solo section at some point
    Irez87, i always find it interesting to hear the development of a tune, and this especially so when it's not a 'straight' rendition of the song, because i have sort of an idiosyncratic approach to this music myself... keep at it!
    AndrewPat, your track appears to be unavailable at the moment, but i'm looking forward to hearing it eventually.
    Hopefully there will be a few more submissions before the end of the month too!
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-15-2015 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I wanna post a version of me playing along with Billie Holiday or Dexter Gordon. Is that allowed?
    I appreciate what the other's said about their preferences. But, there really is no rule about this and of course you can do whatever you want.

I think the only thing that is like a rule, but not exactly a rule, more of a spirit of the history of these threads kind of thing, and that is that folks are encouraging, kind and constructive.

(A little historical antidote... There was a forum member that loved to discuss and/or argue theory and early on in the history of these threads we had a month's thread that got derailed with theory and even copyright discussions. After that Howard, aka Wizard3739, added the word "Practical" to the thread titles in hopes of steering us away from too much theory and other off topic discussions. Song analysis theory is still done from time to time but has been specific to the tune and not to deep or argumentative. For instance, someone might discuss their approach as far as key centers, scales etc.)

User Info Menu

Hi mine appears to now be not working

Hopefully this does !

Here's mine ! 2nd contribution and wee bit longer this time. Let me know what you think.. ? Strange playing a ballad on your own in a DAW!
    Last edited by AndrewPat; 10-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

AndrewPat, that was dark, smoky and well worth waiting for.
    Simply gorgeous...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    AndrewPat, that was dark, smoky and well worth waiting for.
    Simply gorgeous...
    +1 to what dogletnoir said.

Also, cool voicings with lots of close intervals, and your time is really good. Kudos to two tracking this doing both parts. Very creative.

( I hope to get around to listening to the rest of the posts later.)
    Last edited by fep; 10-15-2015 at 08:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I love the interplay of lines and harmonies on your cut, Andrew. You should check out the Attila Zoller and Jimmy Raney album JIM & I and Two Zoots and a Jim

I have to add more melody to my arrangement, and bass movement. This weekend, I hope... Short work weeks are great when you are off, but when you go back to work... fastforward all the work (in a bad way, slooooow down!)

I'll post more.

User Info Menu

Since the month isn't over, i'm still working on this.
    Here's another (slightly more faithful) version:
    You've Changed

And i'll probably have another go at it since i finally figured out how to play the chorus correctly starting with the 2nd turnaround... omg.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-16-2015 at 10:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words chaps! Ballads I've always tried to bluff - figuring there slow and therefore easy - but they're really really tricky, so much space! On listening back really don't like the 32nd notes...

I might post another version .. Some interesting stuff lrez87

User Info Menu

Like the 2nd take Dogletnoir. Like the bends and octaves - I always forget about octaves!

What recordings of this tune are people listening to? I've taken a fair amount from Dexter, so clear and easy to transcribe. Love the 4ths on B7 - G#, C#, F#, G#