The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

The poll winner is "Joy Spring", a very lively bebop tune probably best known as a Clifford Brown hit.
    Below you will find a BIAB Realtracks jazz guitar trio backing track and a corresponding Lead sheet.

backing track------->Box

Lead sheet------->Box
    wiz (Howie)
    Last edited by wizard3739; 09-05-2015 at 12:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just for fun, this is the version of "Joy Spring" I submitted in 2011. I hope this will help get us started on Septembers' submittals. I am trying to put together a new version which will be different than the 2011 version.

wiz

Joy Spring (2011)------>https://app.box.com/s/buzdeiqy0ib6p0499trt
    Last edited by wizard3739; 09-08-2015 at 04:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Wiz.

So far I've learned the first 16 bars of melody. Well it's actually 8 bars + repeat first 7 half step above + 1 "new", but it's not my fault the tune is such.

User Info Menu

I recorded a Version.
    There's different versions of the Bridge and the playalong doesn't really fit the one I went with.
    I only learned the tune yesterday so I decided to take it slow.
    Maybe I'll record a faster version towards the end of the month.
    Awesome tune btw.
    I really haven't listened to enough Clifford Brown.

User Info Menu

Ok, I recorded another version.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts (don't hold back!)

User Info Menu

Nice, ggjay. I think I preferred your first version, but it's been removed, so I can't compare again. I recall it was slightly more up-tempo, and I think I liked your improv' and interpretation of the melody a bit more. Noticed some alternate changes in this latest version. Interesting!

User Info Menu

Nice, wiz. Comping through the intro and first chorus? (I almost missed that the soloing started later!) There was an acoustic quality to the recording. Did you have a live mic on the guitar or in the room? Liked the ending.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ggjay
    Ok, I recorded another version.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts (don't hold back!)
    This one is definitely smoother and more worked out than the first one. I liked endings of phrases when you emhasised the soud of the note against underlying chord.
    Like M-Ster, I also prefered the tempo and energy of the first take, but it did have some clashes and "lost" moments, which you perfected in this version.

Also, I think 2nd version is closer to notation as provided by Wiz, which I appreciate. If I ever manage, mine will be note for note, with maybe some rhythmic alterations.

So, I think some combination of the two would do thhe trick. Say, 2nd version, but faster, with some rock 'n' roll.
    Last edited by Vladan; 09-11-2015 at 02:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi!

Thanks for you feedback!
    I get really bored when I listen to this version.
    It's too slow and not much interesting stuff is happening.
    I think I'll practice the tune for a week or two and then post a faster version with more rock'n'roll.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Nice, wiz. Comping through the intro and first chorus? (I almost missed that the soloing started later!) There was an acoustic quality to the recording. Did you have a live mic on the guitar or in the room? Liked the ending.
    M-ster: I think I recorded that one before I had my own home studio. Yes, I did do some comping for the intro and the first chorus. I always use a live Mic at a 45 degree angle to my old Raezers' Edge speaker. I don't remember the make on the microphone, probably a Shure. "Joy Spring" is one of my favorite jazz standards.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Hi!

Thanks for you feedback!
    I get really bored when I listen to this version.
    It's too slow and not much interesting stuff is happening.
    I think I'll practice the tune for a week or two and then post a faster version with more rock'n'roll.
    Must say, your versions were of great help. That 2nd version is not bad at all, IMO. I quite liked it, just liked the first one better.
    I only wish I could learn and play a tune in such a short term as you can.

Finally, I can say, I've learnd and memorized the whole melody. Now, putting it to speed ... I can play each "lick" quite fast, arround 180, maybe even at 200, but still can not connect and play without mistakes. Then, I'll have to figure out the chords and comping style, but something tells me this would sound great played by Ramones, or Stiff Little Fingers , ...

User Info Menu

My arm is hurting (remember all those cries for being relaxed on the technique threads, they were a warning) I'll give myself a week off. I'd love to start doing this, and this tune is a great way to get that blueoop bop into ya fingers.

I would also like to suggest that we share our process for learning the particular standard (those who want to participate). I know there has been much talk on how we learn tunes overall, but it would be great to give specific examples on tunes. Each tune has specific challenges to it, such as this bop tune. I'd like to learn how you all approach learning Joy Spring and other tunes as well.

So this is what I'll do.

I've posted countless times that ear training is my priority in my own practice time. I've also stated again again, the importance of "prehearing" before you play...

...So I will post some of what that looks like today because my "difficult" housemates (trying to be civil here) aren't home. My process starts without the guitar at all (which is good for my tennis elbow) and involves locating harmonic movement and singing against a drone. Yes, there will be singing (just as a warning). If this doesn't interest you, I promise I will not monopolize the thread. But I would like to learn your approaches as well, on a tune by tune basis.

I started the process and my voice sounds yuck. I'll make it another thread on this part of the forum so I don't torture the people who aren't interested. I'll call it Approaching Practical Standards or something.
    Last edited by Irez87; 09-14-2015 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

I can't stop posting versions of this tune aaahhh help!

User Info Menu

Keep posting, but make sure the soundcloud stuff works. Freeeeeking teeknologies!

EDIT: It worked, was that Jerry Bergonzi I heard counting it off? You play with Jerry, awesome solo, b t dubbs

User Info Menu

Yeah, thats Jerry. And my man Adam Nussbaum on the drums
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Damn you gg, you got me to my guitar again (bad for my tennis elbow and I don't play tennis :/ ) Check out the thread I made to accompany this thread. I'll have more up on it by EOD (end of the day)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Damn you gg, you got me to my guitar again (bad for my tennis elbow and I don't play tennis :/ ) Check out the thread I made to accompany this thread. I'll have more up on it by EOD (end of the day)
    Please don't hurt yourself! I had to take a step back too because of all the hammer-ons in the melody.
    They really tired out my left hand.
    I posted something in your thread.

User Info Menu

Nice job GG, I liked this one better than the first two, but all were nice. I liked the adventurous approach on this one because you were out there taking chances and trying out some new ideas. I also liked the return to the melody for the last chorus.

wiz (Howie)

Please don't hurt yourself! I had to take a step back too because of all the hammer-ons in the melody.
    They really tired out my left hand.
    I posted something in your thread.
    It's interesting seeing the sheet posted up; I always think of the tune as just having 8th notes, G-F, on the last beat of bars 5 and 7, and F-G-F the last beat and a half of bar 8. You could also if you realy want to work those fingers put a turn on the A in bar 10 (or in many other places for that matter!)

User Info Menu

A nice version - great tone...

User Info Menu

And another one.

User Info Menu

very tight! Love the shapes of your lines. It sounds like you are listening to what you are playing instead of letting the changes play you

User Info Menu

Ggjay, unstoppable jazz machine.

At the moment, I can play whole melody/form at tempo very close to this latest version of ggjay. Sometimes even mistake free. Still did not try to improvise, could not give it full attention with all the day job and both wife and kid ill at the same time, but there instead I have 2 different backing guitars, for, possibly a completely new song. Hopefully, I'll get to record it early next week, maybe even before that.

User Info Menu

Do you guys mind if I post Joy Spring here in October? Every time I touch my guitar, I regret it after (a horrible, horrible concept). Vlad and everyone, thanks for the suggestions for my damn elbow.

User Info Menu

Thanks Vlad, but I know I could do better. I want to play more continuous, but melodic, eighth notes and some double time (musically). Also, I got stuck on a couple of ideas instead of reaching for more.

That tells me that I need to sing through the tune more. Next steps are singing the melody, singing 3rds, 7ths, and singing chromatic neighbor tones. By the way, everything that I am singing is material that I would have done on the instrument anyway. This way, I hear if before I practice it on the fretboard.
    Last edited by Irez87; 09-24-2015 at 04:15 PM.