The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Hi all,

A lot more could be done with this tune, but here's mine before the end of the month!

Thanks -

Bill

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    My contribution... definitely could have used another few takes (not to mention some mixing), but I wanted to get something in this month as I won't be able to participate next month due to travel.

As always, I'm open to critique (and there's plenty of critique to be had, I'm sure!).

Very nice acoustic approach Jehu. As usual your lines are great and I can "feel" your emotion from your version. Truly a good listen.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

OK all, Here is my "By Ear" version. I used a BIAB jazz guitar trio backing track for this one. I was trying to listen to the Canadian guitar player, "Oliver Gannon" for the good comping he always does. Please feel free to critique this version, Your comments are of great value to me and helps me to improve my playing.

Best wishes,

Howie

https://app.box.com/s/3fmshujxsq8eq9p7s4ekqdyg2w4l95kz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 08-30-2015 at 06:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Wiz - when listening to your submission yesterday, my wife asked me "Was that you? It sounded very natural".

The ultimate compliment from her!

Bill

User Info Menu

Everybody, good takes.
    I tried improvising over provided backing track and noticed that I was on note A quite a lot, which made me wonder ... so I tried playing the melody from notation and discovered the recording is transposed in regard to natiton. Namely, if Notation is in Ab, as I think it is, actual backing track is in F (first note of the melody is C), so if anybody's still to do someting with it, take care.

User Info Menu

Yes, I also noticed that the backing track is in F (which is common key for the tune) and the leadsheet is in Ab (probably alto sax transposition made occasionally in the software?)...

User Info Menu

Never quite make it by month's end:
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp3s/GMH%2001.mp3

If it's of any interest, here's the backing electric piano track:
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0epno%2000.mp3

And the sheet I worked from:
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Heartache.pdf

User Info Menu

Very nice, M-ster. Wonderful lines and tone!

User Info Menu

Beautifully done M-ster! I really like your lines and the tone is great. You sound like a pro jazz guitar player. Thank you for sharing!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

I am sorry about the lead sheet in Ab, I uploaded a leadsheet I transcribed for the sax player in the band I'm currently playing with.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Well, if M-Ster can, why could not I? No, not sounding that super nice clean and tidy with insanely accurate timing
    Actually, I think my MIDI programed techno has more accidentally played ghost and off beat notes than his guitar playing.

On the contrary, for something completely different:

User Info Menu

My hats off to all you folks who regularly post your interpretations of the various Jazz standards. This thread is what its all about. To Vladan, Grahambop, Oilyrag, wiz, and all the rest, thanks for putting yourself out there, month in-month out. If we only had 50 more like you...

I suspect I will get there one day myself. For now, I will just enjoy your music - which really seems to come from your hearts!

User Info Menu

I got an Eastman 803 that is my favorite guitar (after all the mods I did for it) Been thinking of having kids, but if they get to my guitar. I dunno... same fear I have about pets. Whenever someone uses my guitar, I have to be there. Had a bad experience with a guy who put a huge gash in the finish of my guitar. You live and you learn...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I got an Eastman 803 that is my favorite guitar (after all the mods I did for it) Been thinking of having kids, but if they get to my guitar. I dunno... same fear I have about pets. Whenever someone uses my guitar, I have to be there. Had a bad experience with a guy who put a huge gash in the finish of my guitar. You live and you learn...
    On the other hand, some years ago I had really got into the doldrums with jazz guitar, I felt I wasn't progressing at all and I didn't feel like putting much effort into it. Then my son took up classical guitar lessons at age 9 and he really progressed fast (with no help from me - he did not want me to help him!). Seeing him play inspired me to play the classical guitar intensively again for about a year, then I found my interest in jazz guitar had revived, and after that I really got back into it and progressed again.

So kids can inspire you too!

User Info Menu

My kid is 2 years old and he is running around the house with soprano uke (real one - not a toy) and he really strums it rythmically, I put a button and a strap for him... he has a few songs he likes so he tells me: 'Daddy.. big guitar... bonga-bonga!' - then I play a song and tries to sing (very precise intonation for a small kid) and strums the uke and you should see his face !

And to be true I can't wait when he gets at my guitar and probably then he will really teach me how to play!