The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Below you will find a lead sheet and a backing track for "I Wish You Love". The backing track is a realtracks BIAB jazz guitar trio.

Have fun with this song!

wiz

backing track--->Box

Lead sheet---->Box (Corrected version)
    Last edited by wizard3739; 06-14-2015 at 05:32 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Howie, I haven't played through it yet but is this the same version of the song? Listening to Green's version it doesn't sound like it would work with the lead sheet. (The Grant Green version is also the one I was going by, as it's the only version I have a recording of.)
    Last edited by Jehu; 06-09-2015 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Hey Howie, I haven't played through it yet but is this the same version of the song? Listening to Green's version it doesn't sound like it would work with the lead sheet. (The Grant Green version is also the one I was going by, as it's the only version I have a recording of.)
    Grant's version has a long minor key vamp intro, repeated twice. Eventually he gets to the major key and that's where the proper tune starts. I think it's broadly similar to the lead sheet after that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Grant's version has a long minor key vamp intro, repeated twice. Eventually he gets to the major key and that's where the proper tune starts. I think it's broadly similar to the lead sheet after that.
    Check out vocal versions on YouTube to see what the original sounded like. Maybe Sinatra or someone like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Ah, righto. The real book version has that long vamp included as well, which threw me off.

User Info Menu

Checked out vocal versions on youtube -- again and again I am amazed to get my nose thrust into some great jazz song I never heard before... What a beautiful song! Instantly fell in love with a pleasently laid-back version of this song, Rosemary Clooney singing:

Similar to the music of Julie London with Barney Kessel I like so dearly. Is that Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar?

Robert

Ah, righto. The real book version has that long vamp included as well, which threw me off.
    which book are you looking at, Jehu?

User Info Menu

wow what a great tune !! there's going to be a few killer track this month ! off i go to look at the chart and have a peek.

User Info Menu

Glad this song has been chosen.
    It is a popular song everyone knows in French speaking country, where the original come from.

User Info Menu

Keely Smith sang it with that minor key intro that Grant Green used:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    which book are you looking at, Jehu?
    It's in the old Real Book vol 3 and the iRealbook. The Hal Leonard Real Book vol 3 omits the intro.

Posted this in another thread. Practice session, complete with crash-and-burn. Comments/criticisms welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Don't think it matters too much how many changes you play through necessarily, especially if you outline them in the line pretty well. I'm just a hobbyist, myself, and don't play anything too complex, but I've really worked on the chord/line integration thing.

Below is my "practicing" through the tune they're doing for the practical standards thread this month on the forum, I Wish You Love. I'm reading this out of a real book. Didn't really play it before today, and it's rough. But it does show what you can do with things on an improvisational level once you get the fingering concept together. I'm not a great soloist, but I did some improv on this just to illustrate where I'm trying to get to eventually. I'd have to practice this tune a good bit more to really do it, even on this pretty simple tune. It kind of tanks at the end. :-)

Anyway, my point is, as amateur as the solo and the playing are, I don't really play a lot better without the chords. It's not like I'm a lot better with a backing track, and only this good playing solo. I've just mostly improvised with chords the last couple of years.

Anyway, the melody of this tune is particularly suited to leading with the melody first, like I was talking about earlier. As a kind of exercise I tried to play the melody note first most of the time, and then the chord after. My fingering is occasionally weirdo, but again, some of that's because (in addition to the tune being unfamiliar) I'm fingering the end of the line with the destination chord in mind, instead of the other way around.

I'm really trying to comp behind my "inner saxophone" (the melody I'm playing). I want them to sound like separate entities, even though it's largely based on an actual fixed chord. I'm trying to not compromise anything about the melody's phrasing itself, just to suit the chord, or to set up a new position. I hope that comes across, and I hope to soon have a little better vocabulary and actual improvisation skills to use with this stuff. But the technical concept of what I'm talking about is there and should work with whatever lines/chord voicings I add to my playing in the future.

Sorry to be long.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 06-10-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Man, this thing is really diatonic, huh? I'd be curious to know approaches (harmonic or otherwise) to adding interest to this one, from some of you guys who play a little better.

User Info Menu

Matt, I certainly don't "play a little better" , but the irealpro version has a long intro that appears to benefit nicely from harmonic minor or melodic minor scales.....minor ii-V

User Info Menu

Hey Howie... hope your well

the lead sheet is in Bb and I believe the tract is in Eb.... although that is good practice if you play with vocalist, right... You never know what key your going to perform standards in...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Howie... hope your well
    the lead sheet is in Bb and I believe the tract is in Eb.... although that is good practice if you play with vocalist, right... You never know what key your going to perform standards in...
    Right you are Reg! I almost always play with a vocalist. I will check the track and fix it.

Howie

User Info Menu

Here's mine - feedback welcome!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Here's mine - feedback welcome!!

Sounds good - nice sound and relaxed swinging lines.

I'm hoping to have a crack at it this weekend!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Player
    p.s.s Today's all about WES...... iv'e never really listen to him either....or bird or parker and.......please fill in the blanks........please...... i feel like im starving for moreeeee.... what do my earS NEED TO hEAR....
    You can't go wrong if you start by listening to loads of Wes Montgomery and Charlie Parker. They will get you on the right path straightaway!

User Info Menu

Here's mine. I was going for a sort of Grant Green organ/bossa vibe.

User Info Menu

Just excellent, Graham! Thank You.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Graham, you totally nailed the Green vibe (with a bit of Wes thrown in). I've been listening to that album a ton this month, and yours could have easily been a bonus track!

User Info Menu

Graham, you totally nailed the Green vibe (with a bit of Wes thrown in). I've been listening to that album a ton this month, and yours could have easily been a bonus track!
    agreed

I also wanted to put in another plug for this thread, and Howie's continued work on it. I've been participating for a couple years, and have learned a bunch of tunes I never looked at before. I think its the best part of this forum and invite others to participate: one tune a month means after a couple of years you've got an entire gig under your fingers.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jehu! I had to practise my octaves quite a bit before trying that Wes stuff - I can play them but they were a bit rough as I haven't played them for quite a while. That's what I like about this thread - each time there's something to learn and work on, or a tricky chord change or something.