The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I also wanted to put in another plug for this thread, and Howie's continued work on it. I've been participating for a couple years, and have learned a bunch of tunes I never looked at before. I think its the best part of this forum and invite others to participate: one tune a month means after a couple of years you've got an entire gig under your fingers.
    Yes second that, and big thanks to Howie for looking after this thread. It's a lot of fun doing these and it gets me off my lazy ass to learn a new tune once a month (as I get older I seem to be regressing in the motivation department!)

Subjectively, it definitely feels to me that my playing, ideas, reading etc. have moved forwards since I started doing this stuff every month.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hiya all, Here is my submittal for the month. As usual, this version is 90% by ear and follows the melody line most of the time. I couldn't spend much time on it due to gig obligations which seem to be increasing. I hope you enjoy the song and please feel free to critique this version. I always learn from my peers and basically, that what I am here for.

Howie

I Wish You Love--->https://app.box.com/s/i5vjzlrc4ve8qa9ukiql4s2sp907bskh

User Info Menu

My contribution... criticisms always welcome.

This was a quick take and I didn't get a chance to do much of anything in the mix, so sorry if my guitar if obscenely loud!

Oh, and add me to the list of Howie's adoring fans!

User Info Menu

Last edited by M-ster; 07-18-2015 at 08:19 PM.

User Info Menu

M-ster, who are you, really? You're just too good for an anonymous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    M-ster, who are you, really? You're just too good for an anonymous.
    Ha! Thank you, you're too kind. The truth is, I'd have to become better known to even be anonymous. I'm just trying to fit in with my fellow forumites.

User Info Menu

Super tasty !!! some really good playing on that track...You keep playing like that you wont be anonymous for long

User Info Menu

Excellent, reminded me of Joe Pass at times!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Excellent, reminded me of Joe Pass at times!
    Thanks, Graham. Really enjoyed your submission on this one, too!

User Info Menu

Very well done M-ster! To me, this sounds like an excellent recording done by a good pro guitarist. I really enjoyed listening to it and am looking forward to more of your music. The tone was great, the groove was there, and the lines were excellent!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Hello Everybody,

This is my very first post in the forum

I was reading the thread, and would like ask you if somebody have the progression chords for the version that Grant plays whith Barney Kessel?

Seems that is a bad start, and then I tried to follow the bass line to find the chords, cause the guitar sounds very low, and the bassist plays somethings kind og weird at the end of the chorus...

Well, I really hope you can help or point me where to find this progression

Peace and health for all

Best

User Info Menu

(The Howie version, I believe is from the abum)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is probably what I used when I did the tune for this thread, I should imagine Grant’s version is very similar to this.

June 2015 - I Wish You Love-60f8e077-d240-47cb-8636-5b38cb6f213f-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickV
    Hello Everybody,

This is my very first post in the forum

I was reading the thread, and would like ask you if somebody have the progression chords for the version that Grant plays whith Barney Kessel?

Seems that is a bad start, and then I tried to follow the bass line to find the chords, cause the guitar sounds very low, and the bassist plays somethings kind og weird at the end of the chorus...

Well, I really hope you can help or point me where to find this progression

Peace and health for all

Best
    do not learn the tune with this live version. it is a huge train wreck, with the rhythm section playing the chords twice as fast as grant. use grahams chords which include the verse and check out grant's version with elvin jones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    do not learn the tune with this live version. it is a huge train wreck, with the rhythm section playing the chords twice as fast as grant. use grahams chords which include the verse and check out grant's version with elvin jones.
    I would like to learn the chord progression from the live version, whit Barny Kassel, and by that, understand a little bit the choice of notes that GG did.

Any help?
    Nobody tried before to check his solo at this version?
    To me, it is epic... do you agree?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    This is probably what I used when I did the tune for this thread, I should imagine Grant’s version is very similar to this.
    Many thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickV
    I would like to learn the chord progression from the live version, whit Barny Kassel, and by that, understand a little bit the choice of notes that GG did.

Any help?
    Nobody tried before to check his solo at this version?
    To me, it is epic... do you agree?
    I wouldn’t get too hung up about the chords on the live version, as djg says the rhythm section were all over the place, sounds like they were trying to play the tune by guesswork more than anything.

I listened to Grant’s live solo and it sounds to me like it fits well enough over the chords I posted. After all he used those chords (or something very similar) when he did the studio version (I remember it now, because that was my main inspiration for the version I recorded). So it makes sense he would be thinking similar changes when he played it live, whatever the rhythm section were doing.

By the way Grant is not a complex player, his note choices are usually pretty simple and straightforward. It’s the sound, attack and feel that make him so distinctive (I like his playing).

User Info Menu

Here are all the versions I've got, excluding the two above. I've never played it but I'd believe everything the others are telling you!

June 2015 - I Wish You Love-wish-1-jpgJune 2015 - I Wish You Love-wish-2-jpgJune 2015 - I Wish You Love-wish-3-jpgJune 2015 - I Wish You Love-wish-4-jpg