The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Winner of the May Poll is (Dancing In The Dark. Below you will find a BIAB realtracs backing track and a PDF lead sheet. It is a jazz guitar trio with a 4bar Introduction and 3 choruses. Have fun with this song!

best wishes, wiz

Lead Sheet----->Box

Backing Track-------->Box | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-14-2015 at 03:27 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just curious, Howie, which version of this tune you were analyzing. I was listening to a Sinatra version in the key of D and the changes sounded a bit different. I know there are a few instrumental big band versions as well. Which one were you using?

User Info Menu

Cannonball's version is where it's at for this tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Speaking of which....

User Info Menu

Yep!

This tune's a fun one...it can be incredibly square (but still sort of fun, in a finger-snapping nostalgia trip kinda way), or really cool. Not all tunes can do that. Ah, the power of melody and harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Just curious, Howie, which version of this tune you were analyzing. I was listening to a Sinatra version in the key of D and the changes sounded a bit different. I know there are a few instrumental big band versions as well. Which one were you using?
    The version was based on very old (1931?) sheet music that is no longer available. The interlude was omitted intentionally because most jazz trios, quartets, etc... don't use it. The chords are mostly my own.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Yep! Ballads separate the men from the boys, Cannonballs' version uses some of the best old masters.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

This tune's a fun one...it can be incredibly square (but still sort of fun, in a finger-snapping nostalgia trip kinda way), or really cool. Not all tunes can do that. Ah, the power of melody and harmony.
    "Body and Soul" is another such tune, I think.

User Info Menu

This one will be fun!

User Info Menu

found a nice version by Ted Greene:
    Last edited by fritz jones; 05-16-2015 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    found a nice version by Ted Greene:
    This sounded really, really good, at least on my speakers built into PC screen it was.
    Could you please shed some light on it, the way you did it, musically ant technically?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    This sounded really, really good, at least on my speakers built into PC screen it was.
    Could you please shed some light on it, the way you did it, musically ant technically?
    That wasn't me playing, just an upload of a Ted Greene track.
    I think it was an extra cut from his Solo Guitar session that didn't get onto the record.

Also:
    Last edited by fritz jones; 05-20-2015 at 08:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Really cool tune !!! i'm sorry i couldn't vote ! I couldn't find all the songs,or was I sure i was even looking at the right one's. Been soooooo busy at work this month, im not sure i'll get to tackle it. looks like some tasty dom playing thou ! can't wait to see everyone's approach. i'll be watching Just from a river bank ! stalking snout's with a dryfly in 1 hand and a paint brush in the other. lol and after the swelling in my hands goes down from the To much metronome work the last few weeks. Was flipping Rock's with clients 2 days ago, teaching them about bugz and trout! and something popped in my hand. never had that problem before!!! but was really swollen ! and could'nt play. it's been a few days now ! withdrawal lol

User Info Menu

I tried to do it, but that Bb7(b5) seem like unsurmountable obstaacle.

User Info Menu

I tried to do it, but that Bb7(b5) seem like unsurmountable obstaacle.
    Vladan ,see if you can google a different lead sheet than Howie provided. He changed a few things around, which are cool, but I think might confuse what is a pretty easy tune.

eg

http://www.hvar.komerce.cz/fakebook/069.gif

User Info Menu

Thank you pkirk, but then the thrill will be gonne.

If I change that one to Bbm7b5, or Bb6(b5) (which is like C9/Bb) it sounds pretty good to me, as far as the chord flow goes. I still don't know if I'll be able to hear that Db note over it as pleasant enough. but I'd play all the chords as written, I mean, there must be some way to make it please own senses.
    In the end, maybe if I don't play it as a chord, but arpeggiate it instead, I may begin to hear it as OK, and still stay true to own style.

User Info Menu

If I change that one to Bbm7b5, or Bb6(b5) (which is like C9/Bb) it sounds pretty good to me, as far as the chord flow goes. I still don't know if I'll be able to hear that Db note over it as pleasant enough. but I'd play all the chords as written, I mean, there must be some way to make it please own senses.
    In the end, maybe if I don't play it as a chord, but arpeggiate it instead, I may begin to hear it as OK, and still stay true to own style.
    Here's Ralph Patt's changes if it helps:

DANCING IN THE DARK

Key of Eb 4/4

[ Eb | Eb | Gbdim | Gbdim |

| Fm7 | Fm7 | Fm7b5 | Fm7b5 Bb7 |

| Eb | Ebm | Gm7b5 | C7 |

| Fm7b5 | E7 | E7 B7 | Bb7 |

|| Eb | Eb | Gbdim | Gbdim |

| Fm7 | Fm7 | Fm7b5 | Fm7b5 Bb7 |

| Eb | Ebm | Dbm | Ddim |

| Eb | Abm | Eb | Eb |

User Info Menu

Thank you for that. I don't know if it helped, most likely it did as I finaly used that Dbm.
    Since I was looking for a way to actually play Bb7(b5), I came up with 4 chord sequence, one chord per beat. Also I'd like comments about chord names:

Dbm7 Gb7 Bb7(b5) Gb9 (or Bbm7b5(b13)),

or to stay related to Bb (dominant)
    Bb7(b9 #9 b5) Bb(b5 #9 #5) Bb7(b5) Bb7(#5 b5 #9),

if b5 I write as #11, #5 as b13:
    Bb7(b9 #9 #11) Bb(#9 #11 b13) Bb7(b5) Bb7(#9 #11 b13),

change #9 to minor and some more:
    Bbm7(b9 #11) Bbm(#11 b13) Bb7(b5) Bbm7b5 (with Gb note thrown out, or in as per preference)),

Again, must say, more than in possible substitutions and alternative chord sequences, I was interested to hear if there are some common ways to treat and play this kind of chord sequence, as written like:

"each time you see X+ chord,followed by X- chord it's ok to play .... something ..., especially if sequnce comes after Maj7 5th/ 4th abive/ below X and ends in Xb9 chord.".

Is there some "common practice" for this?
    Last edited by Vladan; 05-23-2015 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm using the changes in the iRealbook. At this point, if I do it in Eb, the iRealbook chord here is F#7 followed by E7. I too would find that Bb7b5 a bit strange to put a Db melody note over.

User Info Menu

Here's mine. Had to put in some work to navigate the diminished and m7b5 chords, so good practice!

User Info Menu

Wonderful, Graham -

Truly an inspiration!!

User Info Menu

grahambop: great tone, swing, lines, etc, as we've come to expect from you.

User Info Menu

Thankyou very much guys!

It's funny, when I'm doing these recordings, while I'm doing them, I think it doesn't sound that good. But when I get a take without any horrible wrong notes (i.e. usually about the 3rd attempt) I tend to go with it, and usually on playback it sounds better than I expected!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Thankyou very much guys!

It's funny, when I'm doing these recordings, while I'm doing them, I think it doesn't sound that good. But when I get a take without any horrible wrong notes (i.e. usually about the 3rd attempt) I tend to go with it, and usually on playback it sounds better than I expected!
    Lucky for you. It takes me days before I don't cringe when listening to a recording of myself.

User Info Menu

First I hate it, then begin to like it. After a pause of few months, on fresh listen, I hate it again. After couple of years either I wonder how is it possible I was that good and not realize it, or wtf was I thinking when it turned that bad, then, after couple of playbacks it all turns around .... again ...