The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Below you will find BIAB backing track and a corresponding Lead sheet. The backing track is a jazz guitar trio in a nice, easy going swing style.. Have fun with this!

Howie

Backing track------>Box

Lead sheet------->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, Howie! I look forward to working with this.

User Info Menu

Thanks wizard ! trying to wrap my head around now ! Nice tune.

User Info Menu

@wiz, I have done some searches on youtube(singers) to hear this song. The songs on youtube do not seem to match the melody of your transcription(at least to me ). Can you post a link to where I might give this a listen?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I was having the same problem i found these, and it's helping me get it into my head.
    April 2015 - But Not For Me-but-not-me1-png
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 04-24-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Copyright infringement---can't post heads from fakebooks!

Missing the pick up I guess? Otherwise looks mostly the same as the other one? Incidentally, the pick up is at the repeat at the bottom of the page.

User Info Menu

You just have to wait through the verse before you get to the refrain.

User Info Menu

ya that's where i got hung up a bit ! I'm really liking these versions best myself. im certain to have a few question's soon.

User Info Menu

I love Chet baker on this tune. He's the one I've been listening to the most.

User Info Menu

How goes the battle boyz? must be a busy month . Were all pretty quite Well im getting through this song, a lot easier than last month,for me. Its very strait up at the moment, but making progress for sure. learning a ton

User Info Menu

Here is my version for this month: I took some liberties with the melody on the first chorus. This was done 95% by ear after I went though some basic analysis of key center movement. The song is very straight forward with some good chord progression movement. It is a lot of notes (maybe too many) but a good song to work on for improvisation. I hope you will enjoy it. All comments are welcome here.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/1oinut84hzhfg95eyyc5lmcq0eewcn0h

User Info Menu

Wiz . I love it ! I've listen too it a few time now. You've got a few ' really cool licks(ideas')going on ! i'm going to have to go back and look at and steal lol. another thing ! great endurance! that really stuck out to me. I know the challenge i'm going to have, flowing like you just did for 4 mins. You kept things moving along ! maybe that's what you meant by to many notes,in your comment ! i didn't feel like that at all. But as i learn the song myself,I notice . there's a lot going on ! and no time to stop and think. If i do, i miss the change. sooo it's deceptively quick. And im just Strumming through it. Haven't tried soloing on it yet. soon ! AGAIN !!! Great job.

User Info Menu

here's one. I thought I'd do it rubato on the in and out heads and change keys on the blowing chorus.

I'll do a "real" take if anyone shows up to rehearsal tomorrow morning...

User Info Menu

Incredible and inspiring as always, Paul. (Rehearsal on a weekday morning? Friggin' academics... )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    (Rehearsal on a weekday morning? Friggin' academics... )
    I play with music school graduates, otherwise known as "unemployed"

User Info Menu

love to hear what was in those head phones very insightful Great job !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Player
    Wiz . I love it ! I've listen too it a few time now. You've got a few ' really cool licks(ideas')going on ! i'm going to have to go back and look at and steal lol. another thing ! great endurance! that really stuck out to me. I know the challenge i'm going to have, flowing like you just did for 4 mins. You kept things moving along ! maybe that's what you meant by to many notes,in your comment ! i didn't feel like that at all. But as i learn the song myself,I notice . there's a lot going on ! and no time to stop and think. If i do, i miss the change. sooo it's deceptively quick. And im just Strumming through it. Haven't tried soloing on it yet. soon ! AGAIN !!! Great job.
    Thanks, Pocket Player. I really enjoyed working on this one. I am working in a dance band right now and the leader really keeps me hopping as we have mostly old dance tunes with really tight Freddie Green comping and no lead lines. With this one tempo is everything. That approach gives me a real workout on the triad changes needed for most of the tunes with tempos from 120 t0 240. I also have my own band with weekly rehearsals on primarily the standards we all love to play. Thanks again for the nice compliments.

User Info Menu

Here's mine...

First post, please be kind & gentle!!

User Info Menu

Nice playing by everyone so far - I'm hoping to have a crack at it in the next few days.

I've been listening to the live Chet Baker version featuring Doug Raney. They only play 2 choruses each but that's all they need!

User Info Menu

Very nice first post, boatheel... bodes well for the future!

My futile effort for the month begins with Ben Webster's solo off the Billie Holiday version before embarking on a tour of Noodleville. Poor Ben.

User Info Menu

Thanks, all!

User Info Menu

jay you sound better every month. I'm going to guess this wasn't the home-built guitar this time? it had more of a solid-body sound to my ears.
    Last edited by pkirk; 04-23-2015 at 11:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words, Paul (even if you are just being polite!). I usually feel like I'm standing still, but it may be because I'm too close to it. I guess that's the benefit of having someone hear you once a month. But I do feel like I'm starting to get a bit better at intuitively hitting the changes.

You're right, that's not the homebrew beast, it's actually my Kingpin. I managed to dial in a passable Charlie Christian-ish tone with flatwounds, and bizarrely, this is how that sound translates with a brand-new set of roundwounds on.

User Info Menu

He, he, my first thought was "Ha, new strings!".
    I've changed mine last week and they still have that brand new "spank", so I'm kind of aware of it more than usually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I usually feel like I'm standing still, but it may be because I'm too close to it.
    Not to get Zen or anything, but I think that one aspect of progressing on the guitar is that although it takes forever and is a constant struggle to improve the major things (e.g. chops, or making the changes, or time), as you work on them, other important but perhaps more subtle things just sort of get better "by themselves", e.g. playing melodically as opposed to rather than mechanically.