The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

Given that we're well into March and don't have a lot of time for a poll, here's what I propose:
    We take "All Of You" (as the most popular non-winner over the past two polls) and since I don't have BIAB, we take a crack at putting ourselves out there in the nude, so to speak. A click track is also acceptable.

Take this to mean whatever you want: a chord-melody arrangement, single lines outlining the changes, lines with chords inserted, just practicing your comping, or all of the above. Fill your boots. The world's your oyster. (But if you do take "in the nude" literally, no video.)

Here's the chart:
    All Of You

What say you, fellow Practical Standarians?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll give it a crack if everyone else is down with this idea.

User Info Menu

Being new here ! im still trying to figure out how to go about learning to play jazz and where to start. Are rookie and new players welcome in this group. ? man... if i posted a clip of me playing id sukkk so bad compared to most of you lol not even sure it would sound like jazz... but i really really want to learn. and maybe one day play like you all... is the ideas to post a Vid or audio clip playing thru the chart? kind of show where were at ! and, we can get help from the better players. critiquing and helping us? i'm worried mine would be painful to listen too... and id hate to stink up your group... But sound like just diving in and starting to play standards, and play play play might be the best approach. and the fastest way to learn... and advice would be great... or a group for me to look at that might be more appropriate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Player
    Being new here ! im still trying to figure out how to go about learning to play jazz and where to start. Are rookie and new players welcome in this group. ? man... if i posted a clip of me playing id sukkk so bad compared to most of you lol not even sure it would sound like jazz... but i really really want to learn. and maybe one day play like you all... is the ideas to post a Vid or audio clip playing thru the chart? kind of show where were at ! and, we can get help from the better players. critiquing and helping us? i'm worried mine would be painful to listen too... and id hate to stink up your group... But sound like just diving in and starting to play standards, and play play play might be the best approach. and the fastest way to learn... and advice would be great... or a group for me to look at that might be more appropriate.
    of course they are! anyone is welcome to post, doesn't matter whether you're starting out or whether you're a professional. I don't think anyone will tell you that you can't post your playing here.

User Info Menu

Hi Chris,
    welcome to the Forum, all I can suggest to you is to avidly read the contributions
    here. You will find help from all sorts of sources , whatever you need to know you
    will receive very good advice . There are daily Videos posted, interesting Threads,
    on all aspects of Jazz Guitar, There are also lessons available on line that are
    appropriate for beginning players up to and including professionals most of whom
    are very happy and willing to pass on their experience.

regards Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Beginners are always welcome here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Given that we're well into March and don't have a lot of time for a poll, here's what I propose:
    We take "All Of You" (as the most popular non-winner over the past two polls) and since I don't have BIAB, we take a crack at putting ourselves out there in the nude, so to speak. A click track is also acceptable.
    I'm up for this. I want to do some solo stuff anyway.

User Info Menu

I'm in

User Info Menu

Sorry all, I installed windows 8.1 and lost almost everything! I am back on now and have recovered most of what I lost. I'll pick up the thread again in April. As for "All Of Me", go for it! Here is a realtracks BIAB backing track along with a matching lead sheet. Let me know if you are unable to download it. Enjoy!!

wiz

backing track----->https://app.box.com/s/87d0w9yb1eo3228p21zcfvz7uotn47st

lead sheet------->https://app.box.com/s/87f8aevtqoxuwdiwzfqybmxzz330gata

User Info Menu

To get the melody down, I've been listening to Ella:

User Info Menu

This is one of those songs that I admit I struggle to enjoy. And I don't really know why - just does not gel for me. Maybe after I hear a couple of good versions here, I'll understand better.

Jay

User Info Menu

This is one of those songs that I admit I struggle to enjoy. And I don't really know why - just does not gel for me. Maybe after I hear a couple of good versions here, I'll understand better.

Jay

User Info Menu

My take on All of You is that as a midtempo swinger, it's ok, but as a really slow ballad it can be quite gorgeous. Check out Fred Hersch doing it.

User Info Menu

Wiz, you have Ab major in the first bar of the melody. In The Real Book it's minor isn't it? Is it mostly played with major?

User Info Menu

Minor 6. Some folks just go right to the F half diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Minor 6. Some folks just go right to the F half diminished.
    This tune is a beast for the rookie here. OK. I'll be lazy and just ask the question. Ab min6 vs. Fm7b5 as chord synonyms...

In terms of approach to soloing, do you think of them differently or pull from different tonalities etc? I understand that in terms of the harmony, the root movements kind of indicate the naming of the chords as they are, inversion-wise, but do you play over them pretty much the same way?

I'm thinking Ab MM on both of these, and can't help but hear them as being basically the same in function in this tune. Is that way you think about these chords?

User Info Menu

Right, same function...the root movement sets up a different feel though, so it's worth considering. I can hear Dorian over that chord too, but I'm really just visualizing arpeggios when practicing this one.

Something to think about--lots of folks will play that whole A section (or most of it, rather) over a Bb pedal.

I'm going to try and put up a video today, I did a solo guitar version in D so I could exploit the open A string as this pedal. Sounds great...makes the first chord viewable as a 13b9...possibilities...

User Info Menu

This is a tough one for a rookie I'm having a hard time with a few chords myself. but learning a ton just getting the tune into my head. I'm working to try to get something together,even if it just playing through it. But Your all on another level then myself Really like the Ella version of the song It really lets me hear it as a song . Thanks for being so welcoming ! and allowing me to take part in the process. even thou I'm at such a different level. Im absorbing so much ! its mind numbing this week. With the all of reading and listening i"ve done. many many hours !!! my work has suffered lol lol can't wait to hear what you guys come up with !!!

User Info Menu

This is a good tune to break down...chunks.

The first 8 bars all hover around a minor ii--V that resolves major...so you have two environments to deal with essentially.

Bars 9-12 are pretty standard fare, a 1 6 2 5, really, hanging in Eb.

13-16 we have nice chromatic bass movement taking us to another ii V in Eb

17-24, more like the first 8, with a ii V at the end that moves to Ab, maybe a surprise, if you were expecting F...

Then a ii V in G minor, setting up one last trip to Eb.

User Info Menu

Tks Mr.beaumont that will make a ton of difference. i'll keep playing around

User Info Menu

There are a few approaches... generally Cole Porter tunes always have related and parallel minor relationships going on...

So think of Eb maj and the parallel Minor of Eb-.... and of course the related min or Eb, which isn't really used in this tune

So the tune is a camouflaged Ebmin to Ebmaj

The Ab-6 is basic parallel IV- from Eb-, and used modal interchange, the access to Ab melodic could be through,
    1) Ab-6 which is the sub dominant minor IV chord of parallel Ebmin, or from,
    2) the related V7 of that II-, which is Db7 or bVII7, generally with a #11 from Ab mm. or
    3) call the F-7b5 a sub of that Db7#11, bVII etc...

there are a lot of possible relationships which is the point, it's deceptive.

Anyway, so bars 3 and 4 imply going to Eb- but deceptively go to that subdominant IV-6 chord again, then Ebmaj or Ima and then normal IV-7 from Eb- with related V7 to ....

Next 8 bars which are just chord patterns...
    Bars 9 - 12..standard chord pattern... III-7, passing Dim7, II-7 V7 of Imaj...
    bars 13 -16... thing I IV7 / II- V7 of II-/ II- V7. The D7 is altered sub... anyway you probably get the idea.... think Maj, and parallel Min. and then the relatives of each... use subs or modal interchange and deceptive resolutions or implying something and then going to a relationship of the implied target, parallel or related harmonies which work with the melody.

Sorry so unorganized... think about it and you need more of a real analysis, I'll post something... but using those basic harmonic type of relationships you'll... get Porters harmonic approach and hopefully have some possibilities of how to approach the tune. Listen to Wes's version of Zawinul's Midnight Mood, to help hear straight versions of chord relationships similar to All of You

User Info Menu

Just ran across this record on you tube...

User Info Menu

Found this nice Kenny Burrell version.

I'm still working on this tune - not there yet!

User Info Menu

Here's my solo version. It took me a long time to get my head round this tune - something very ambiguous about those initial chords. Took a while to figure out what to play on them!

User Info Menu

Wow love it ! I've been having a real hard time with this tune, until i heard you play it . The subtleness of the chords and melody weren't matching up to the song i was hearing, (elle) . Can someone please help me !!! with a good 6 and 5th string grip, for that Ab6 chord. Grahambop ! again very very tasty ! i was able to move FWD alittle after hearing you play it.