The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Player
    Wow love it ! I've been having a real hard time with this tune, until i heard you play it . The subtleness of the chords and melody weren't matching up to the song i was hearing, (elle) . Can someone please help me !!! with a good 6 and 5th string grip, for that Ab6 chord. Grahambop ! again very very tasty ! i was able to move FWD alittle after hearing you play it.
    Thanks! Got to admit, I cheated a bit there, and mainly played it as Fm7b5 (x8989x) every time. Just because this made it easier to stay in the middle of the fingerboard and build my solo lines around that and the Ebmaj7 chord. I might have used an Abm7 a couple of times (4x444x).

By the way, that chord is Ab minor 6, not Ab6. I would play it as 4x344x, or 4x3444.

In the first 8 bars, I largely used Abm lines/arps then Gm lines/arps, to fit over the Fm7b5 (Abm6) and the Ebmaj7 chords respectively. I just found it easier to visualise it this way, and keep it a bit simpler to function as a solo version.

I have to say, this is not an easy tune to play solo. I played it a LOT before recording it!
    Last edited by grahambop; 03-24-2015 at 07:45 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I have to quit with this song. Hope it's cool to do a vocal version. Simple chord melody on 2nd chorus.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-25-2015 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me Matt!

I solemnly promise I will never sing anything!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sounds good to me Matt!

I solemnly promise I will never sing anything!
    Thanks, brother. Especially liked what you were doing on yours, the last :30 seconds or so. Hope to get there someday myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Thanks, brother. Especially liked what you were doing on yours, the last :30 seconds or so. Hope to get there someday myself.
    Thanks man! that last bit was basically just to extend it, going a bit choppy on the chords, trying to keep some rhythm going.

The final chord was meant to be a bit of a Miles quote, I think he sometimes ended these tunes with a phrase like that.

I have to quit with this song. Hope it's cool to do a vocal version. Simple chord melody on 2nd chorus.
    I'm open to comments/critiques on this by the way. Still learning here.

Recorded on a beater I picked up as a spare nylon string for kids. I thought it had surprisingly good tone for what it is, especially to sing with, but the action is kind of terrible. That's my current excuse for behind/loose time and squeaks btw. :-) Slightly like playing underwater, but I deferred to the vocal I liked more this time.

Also, feel free to let me know if you think singing is uncool, out of place for this kind of thread, or a copout etc..
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-25-2015 at 09:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Matt, liked the vocal , I regret my vocals are of the late`Les `Dawson"s piano school style
    You did a good job on the guitar too despite an obviously near impossible action.
    I'm off to the woodshed after listening to Grahambop also.

Best,

User Info Menu

Loved the Vocals Matt ! and the simple approach and the guitar ! Hey ! after all that's why most of pick up the instrument anyway so we can sit ,play, and sing a song. That's where the enjoyment comes . You have a strong voice man . good work ! very fitting for the song .

User Info Menu

Nice singing, nice playing!
    Last edited by crisscross; 03-27-2015 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

here's an unaccompanied one, as per Jehu's instructions. I thought I'd do a video, in order to scare the wimin and chilen

User Info Menu

Nice playing (and singing), all! Man, this never gets old. I'm amazed by you people every single month.

Time to lower the bar to encourage my fellow mortals. Just a few chords for me this time around.

User Info Menu

Jay, Nice. is that the guitar you built?

User Info Menu

@pkirk- that was some really good chord melody! I enjoyed that immensely!
    @jeho- the chomping sounded great bro!

you guys always inspire me to practice more. Once I get out of the hospital, it's back to shed for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Jay, Nice. is that the guitar you built?
    Indeed it is. Hasn't imploded yet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Indeed it is. Hasn't imploded yet!
    that has to be an amazing feeling. It sounds really good.

Congrats, Jehu. Good sounds.

User Info Menu

Nice playing (and singing), all! Man, this never gets old. I'm amazed by you people every single month.

Time to lower the bar to encourage my fellow mortals. Just a few chords for me this time around.

Nice sound and comping! I just grabbed my guitar and jammed along with it!

User Info Menu

that has to be an amazing feeling. It sounds really good.
    It really is. This has actually become my go-to couch guitar. I kind of assumed I would play it out of a combination of obligation and cognitive dissonance reduction, but it is a surprisingly comfortable instrument. I still plan to take it to a real-life luthier for feedback and a final set-up, but I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nice sound and comping! I just grabbed my guitar and jammed along with it!
    Thanks, Graham. I've been taking lessons from pkirk, but I haven't told him yet because I'm too cheap to pay him.

Hey, once we have the technology for real-time interweb jamming, it will take these threads to a whole new level!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Graham. I've been taking lessons from pkirk, but I haven't told him yet because I'm too cheap to pay him.

Hey, once we have the technology for real-time interweb jamming, it will take these threads to a whole new level!
    Hey Jay, I'm honored. We should do the real-time internet thing sometime. I saw Graham did a thing with Dick Onstenk (dutchbopper) once, and it was pretty cool how that worked out. Maybe sometime we can do a collaborative practical standard thing.

I have a PhD student right now from New Zealand, and I'm hoping when he finishes he'll invite me to your island so I can come and try your guitar myself.

Paul

User Info Menu

Sweet, Paul! Hopefully that pans out for you, NZ is a pretty cool place (speaking as a former prairie-dweller myself... I grew up in Saskatchewan).

User Info Menu

I have a PhD student right now from New Zealand, and I'm hoping when he finishes he'll invite me to your island so I can come and try your guitar myself.

Paul
    You teach at IU? I just got back from a conference there, the stone buildings on campus are beautiful.

User Info Menu

tacofarm, yep.You should have looked me up! We could have played together. Let me know next time you come by.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I would have if I had realized you lived there, next time.

User Info Menu

We should do the real-time internet thing sometime. I saw Graham did a thing with Dick Onstenk (dutchbopper) once, and it was pretty cool how that worked out. Maybe sometime we can do a collaborative practical standard thing.
    You need someone with reasonably good video editing software to do this. When we did it, I sent my video file to Dick and he superimposed his video onto it, as he had some quite fancy software. I couldn't do it with any of the video editing programs I have.