Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

This thread discusses our All The Things You Are lesson:

All The Things You Are - Chord/Melody + Solo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ATTYA was the first song I studied when I was learning about key centers (Howard Roberts seminar) many years ago.

As a side comment, One of the best jazz guitar inprovisation versions of this tune is performed by Hank Garland on "Jazz Winds From A New Direction". We all referred to Hank Garland as "Sugarfoot" when he was making a lot of records out of Nashville. I think he surprised a lot of jazz people when he made his jazz record. His chops were unbelieveable!

Also, it is worthwhile to note the melody of ATTYA is made up mostly of 3rds & 7ths from the chords used in the song.

wiz

Stringbean Guest
    Thanks for the lesson, I dig.

I went on youtube and checked out some takes by the greats. Metheny 1980, and a more recent clip at Montreaux. Those guys left me way in the dust, after the melody all I heard was streams of notes. I can't follow the harmony yet. Hard work this listening to jazz. And this is a beginner tune!

There's a Gambale solo take on there also, sounds good.

Very good exposition of ATTYA - however, it makes sense to work this out for yourself for other tunes and also for ATTYA. For example, many people play a Calt (III7alt of Ab i.e. V7 of VI) without the G-7b5 in bar 24, and I think of this as the transition to the Ab section (in the key of Ab).

Similarly, the turnaround final bar of G-7b5 to Calt can be thought of as still in the key of Ab. This simplifies things as you no longer need to think of the one bar of F-, which normally would not count as a modulation in any case because it is so short. The most important thing is to use whatever helps you to make sense of the sequence, to memorise it, play it in any key and so improvise on it.

Also in bar 32 B-7 is often played as opposed to B diminished 7, making a descending chromatic sequence of minor sevenths - sounds good and means that Matt's improv sequence can be preserved (i.e. 3,5,7,9) through this section.

The key sequence then becomes: Ab Major, C Major, Eb Major, G Major, E Major, Ab Major.

So you can think of the first 8 bars in any key as an extension of the basic II-V-I (VI-7 II-7 V7 I IV) followed by a modulation up a Major Third (II-7 V7 I).

Second 8 bars- identical to first 8 in a key a Perfect Fifth up from original key.

Bridge (bar17) stay in the key of second 8 bars, basic II-7 V7 I, modulate down Minor Third with II-7 V7 I, return to original key in last bar of bridge with a III7alt of original key.

Last section has same first five bars as original section (VI-7 II-7 V7 I IV), next 4 bars a chromatic descent from IV-7, III-7, bIII-7, II-7 bringing you to the closing II-7 V7 I. (Bar 30 could also have a bVII7 (Gb7 in the original key of Ab) which would make it a "back-door progression" to Ab.

The more you can think of large chunks instead of chord by chord, the easier it is to remember, comp and improvise on.

All the best.

Bill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringbean
    Thanks for the lesson, I dig.

I went on youtube and checked out some takes by the greats. Metheny 1980, and a more recent clip at Montreaux. Those guys left me way in the dust, after the melody all I heard was streams of notes. I can't follow the harmony yet. Hard work this listening to jazz. And this is a beginner tune!
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as a beginner's tune. If there was, it wouldn't be ATTYA. It might be So What. It might be. Maybe not. Autumn Leaves? I don't know. Things You Are is like Stella - 32 bars, through composed, not easy. Give the legendary Jan Garbarek (ECM saxophonist) either tune and he won't play them *grin*

Well there is jazz, and then there is jazz.

If I were to advise, you didnt ask, but what the hey -
    Go slow. Then, even slower ;p

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    I was reading on the Fender website that Dizzy's arrangement of this tune used the Hendrix chord, dom7#9. It doesn't say where, but I guess it could fit on any of the many V7 chords?

Also, where is Matt W? His lessons are top notch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    I was reading on the Fender website that Dizzy's arrangement of this tune used the Hendrix chord, dom7#9. It doesn't say where, but I guess it could fit on any of the many V7 chords?

Also, where is Matt W? His lessons are top notch.
    in the intro that diz played, which has become 'standard'. (it is in the new real book and the real book 6th ed...and various other versions.)

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    in the intro that diz played, which has become 'standard'. (it is in the new real book and the real book 6th ed...and various other versions.)
    ahh, thanks ....this song just keeps getting better
    Last edited by Baltar Hornbeek; 04-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirkji
    This thread discusses Matt's harmonic analysis of All The Things You Are:

All The Things You Are | Chords Analysis and Guitar Examples
    Hey Matt,
    I went through your lesson with much interest. That's true "All the Things" is quite intricate harmonically. It must be studied and performed regularly to really understand it.

The version you posted is one of my favorite!
    I studied the transcription years ago. It's a must for anybody who is serious about learning to play jazz guitar. It made me want to go back to it and go through all those beautiful lines once again.

For those who are wondering where to find it, it's available in a book called "Joe Pass on Guitar".

Happy playing to everybody!

User Info Menu

For those who are wondering where to find it, it's available in a book called "Joe Pass on Guitar".
    Highly recommend it too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shadowguitarist
    Highly recommend it too!

Great book!
    I stronglly recommend it. All the music is transcribed incredibly well!
    It comes with a CD as well

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    I am extremely new in Jazz
    I fall in love with this tune.
    Is there any simple chord melody arrangement for me to learn this?
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Vagabond

if u look in the forums somewhere there all the things you are explained its extremely helpfull and shows you pretty much everything u need to no about the tune

I think it would be a great idea for this website to start a thread along the lines of Chordal Anaylsis of Jazz Standards starting with the ones most Jazz students need to learn early on.

"All The Things You Are" is a great starting point (which has already been done) followed by "Rhythm Changes" and then some "Jazz Blues"(major and minor).

We have a lot of talent on this site and I'm sure the contributions would be eye opening for us all.

A list of other startup tunes I would recommend are:
    "Autumn Leaves"
    "Girl From Ipanema"
    "Misty"
    "Body and Soul"
    "Maiden Voyage"
    "Footprints"
    "Summertime"
    "Watermelon Man"
    "All Blues"
    "Impressions"
    "Wave"

User Info Menu

Still playing with the new camera...trying out a "semi-arrangement" of ATTYA...hope you enjoy.

User Info Menu

Nice. Enjoyed your post. Perfect to chill to after a hard afternoon gig. Some real fancy and intricate lines. This cat can play.

User Info Menu

Very pretty, really enjoyed the way you connected the chords.

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Mr. B. Very informative, really appreciate being able to see how you incorporate chords into the runs, how everything lies on the fretboard.... and the new camera sounds/looks good....

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar playing. Makes you you realize how great that song is.

User Info Menu

Jeff, Like it, thanks. My personal preferences with regard to what I liked better in the solo: polyphony/ interval/chord improvs and use of space and silence, that gives the sense of breadth to the expression and expression that also breathes. Fast single note runs, I'm not getting much into, these days, but that goes for everyone's playing, starting, first of all, with mine.

Thanks! I thought the video was a tad dark, but that could have just been my screen.

As for software, I always suggest, for use of video/audio by artists and artistically inclined persons, get a Mac. Comes built-in with iMovie and Garage Band, which are free, with excellent pro apps that are or will become industry standards (Final Cut Pro, Logic Studio Pro).

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed this. Great overall mood.

User Info Menu

Hey Mr. B. very cool, nice to hear you let go a little. Beautiful version... I'm pretty fried on original... man... are you an old rocker, I dig watching your fingerings and default, as JP has me saying, phrases. Just to make sure... that's a compliment... I grew up going to Filmore and the other hangs as a kid back in the 60's... great post... thanks. ( you sure have the intense look goin on... ) one of your fans... Reg

Sounds very nice!! Many great sounding elements here, I'm sure you could easily make a recording with a clear beginning, middle and end. A little clearer structure and you have one track for your solo guitar album! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    are you an old rocker
    Most definitely am, of the Jerry Garcia ilk--he was my first guitar hero...I'm pretty sure you can still hear that in my playing...

Thanks all for the compliments everybody...as for the video editing, the camera did come with something, but it's also "clunky." I think I just have to play around with it a little more.

User Info Menu

nice music. very nice. how old is that tune? written about 80 years ago? what a great song it is.

not sure if there's a whole lot of "good morning little school girl" or "truckin" in there though.