The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

94 Guild artist award with the bartolini pick up made for them...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I think Reg should make a Instructional video on comping ideas, I know I would buy it!!!!!!
    Ken

User Info Menu

I'd like to thank you Reg for sharing this video. It's an oldie, but I've just found it.
    IMHO it is the greatest instructional short video on blues comping I've ever seen.

Yeah, you move pretty fast but the fluency and sheer amout of knowledge you put in 6 minutes are priceless.
    I'm trying to follow you with a looping add-in for Youtube. I have to stop it and figure out your voicings. But that's OK, it's great way to learn and expand my comping vocabulary.

Thank again for sharing this one and all the other videos.

destinytot Guest
    Adding my thanks and admiration.

User Info Menu

I've seen this video before but never taken the time to get anything out of it. Thanks for reminding me. I really enjoyed some of your chord voicings. The melody line on top is always good to work on too.

Here were some of my favorite vamps:

F7
    x6776x
    xx7898

Played over the V chord, Gsus to ?. I like the feel you played this with in the video.
    xx5768
    xx889(11)

And then this 1 6 2 5 (not exactly like Reg played it)
    x x 13 12 10 13
    x x 10 11 11 10
    x x 8 10 8 10
    x x 8 9 9 8

But most importantly, play them with groove!

User Info Menu

Wow this is great and for me timely. I have really taken on board Reg's suggestion that it all comes from learning forms and have been learning jazz blues forms through heads and just started exploring comping /lead lines /grooves/ playing harmonies under melodies etc . One thing I got from this video is the idea of playing one thing of another as a framework with a groove as a basis - eg: a rhythmic idea against a melody . This a great vid I had never seen- thanks Reg and whoever revived the thread

Will

User Info Menu

Just a comment about the speed factor in all your videos Reg, don't slow down.
    I've been playing for almost 40 years and a former session player, and I've just personally never been fond of a slow approach, you miss the whole feel and groove and you need to see and hear it at speed to really grasp it, that and I learn best from a faster delivery of concepts with hands-on example it just makes more sense to me. While that slow-mo learning has as much to do with ego and profit as anything else, I've also never learned well from anything other than full speed. Having something like your videos is endlessly useful, and I can stop and start a video if I need to digest something, but your all-on speed is not just super helpful and packed with a lot of information in a short time frame, but it's damn fine inspiring too... I love it! Keep it up!