The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Sorry all, I accidently deleted the original post. Here is the correction.

Backing Track---->Box

Lead Sheet------>Box

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hiya all, This will be my submittal for December: I tried to imitate a horn player with this one but I wasn't too happy with the result. As usual, I played this one by ear using a BIAB Realtracks guitar trio for a backing track. All comments will be welcome here

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/0766tp3b3tpg7wn88qst

User Info Menu

Very nice Wiz. I've listened to it couple of times.

Also I've listened to backing track on repeat, noodling, waiting for an idea to come ....
    ... and since on the same ocasion when I visited that fortress from November thread, I also visited steel mill plant (Unfortunately not the owens and furnaces. Just drove the the yard, btw buildings, through all the red mud, the wasteland, and such), I think I'll do kind of Heavy Metal Jazz version.

User Info Menu

I quite fancy having a go at this, what are the rules if any? do I have to use the backing track supplied, how many verses etc?

User Info Menu

It's all free and open, up to your tastes and preference. You can check on previous months for some insight. the thing is going on for couple of years, already.

User Info Menu

One has to be very careful with intonation on this one. Especially when annunciating the title. Too often it can become "What is this thing called, love" (Morecambe & Wise, early 1970's vintage)

User Info Menu

Benny Hill did that joke too, with a nice lady in a skit.

User Info Menu

Finally managed to learn Hot House so here it is!

User Info Menu

Nice! I like it.

User Info Menu

Ok, here it is.

I figured out the vorspiel, then, for the 1st chorus sort of improvized on melody with some arpegiolike stuff. The second chorus is more less plain pentatonic (apart from lines repeated from the 1st chorus), I tried to avoid "bop" lines I discovered and overused in the past several clips, but surely I did not completely succeede. In the 3rd chorus I forcespeed some scales.

All the guitar sounds played on Squier tele, through BOSS SE70. Additional FX and processing in mix.
    Rhythm guitars recorded to click only (no backing), Then I generated bass and drums in BIAB (some Heavy Metal style), exported MIDI, imorted to DAW, then played solo over complete backing.

Although the 1st chord is Cm7b5, I found it difficult to play Gb note over it (maybe because I was thinking F#?)?!
    Actually, all along the tune it was sometimes rather hard to play "chord of the moment" tones.
    In great part it's due bass playing roots and somehow taking over the harmony from more lesss inverted and/or rootles chordss I played for the rhythm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Finally managed to learn Hot House so here it is!

Well done Grahambop! Good tone, good performance, nice groove!

wiz

User Info Menu

I would think of this tune as being in Cm (the 1st part or A section)or Eb major
    then the bridge moves to Bb major. Easy melody to play using those scales

Earl

User Info Menu

Not my best performance, but I thought I'd add a contribution. Criticisms encouraged, as always.

User Info Menu

I did this one a while back, thought I'd post it as I noticed what song you all are doing...

User Info Menu

Great job, Frank! Everything "right in the pocket". Love your tone!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Hi guys, here I 've something that I had recorded...

User Info Menu

Nice, has that Grant Greene sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Ok, here it is.

I figured out the vorspiel, then, ... Is This The Thing by VladanMovies
    In case you've missed it in the Showcase thread, here's the notation and TAB for the intro of my .... version, er ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vladan; 01-14-2015 at 03:12 PM.