The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

The poll was a tie at 7v7. So I thought we could do Wendy this month and What is this thing called love in December. I hope no one minds

Here are two backing tracks and a Pdf sheet.

"Wendy"

The track has x3 choruses and a four bar intro, tempo is around 95. There are two tracks as I couldn't decide which I liked best. Piano comping or guitar comping so you can have both.

If you get chance have a listen to the version with Jim Hall. As both Sax and guitar are panned hard left and right in the mix, so it is a guitarists dream to be able to listen to how a master comps behind a soloist, plus his solo is really clear to hear.

Most of all have fun with this great tune.

Tom..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Man, that's some nice playing by Bickert there.

User Info Menu

Here is my submittal for this song. It is a version I made a last year when I was trying to learn how to make a video. It is very laid back and a "by ear" version using BIAB realtracks backing track.

Video track--->https://app.box.com/s/i32laln8lrz9h37geqck

mp3 track---->https://app.box.com/s/4upsqy42a6jhb35n1ru2

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 11-04-2014 at 11:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Wiz, can't listen at the moment, I will later. Anyway, I think I remember watching it already, back then, or maybe you just told us about it ....
    Also, I think I remember Wendy is one of your favourites and I'm glad it finally won it's place in this thread.

Why I chimed in ...
    I took a look at the chart, seams chords are not too hard, being very diatonic to Eb Major, while there seam to be opportunities for playing "key changes" over individual chords, ...

... however, I have no idea how to really comp. I tried a bit and I can do my usual plain oldies thing, or more rock/ blues version, no problem., all going by Eb major.

What I'd to do is less open, more obscure version, something kind of detached and somewhat dissonant to Eb major, but still good enough
    What would "YOU" do to get that sound?

I know, you can not know what sound I have in my mind, but reading above you surely got an own idea about it.
    Care to share it here, in written?

User Info Menu

I gotta get in this month, I love this tune...gotta find some time to record.

I'm gonna go all Frisell on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Wiz, can't listen at the moment, I will later. Anyway, I think I remember watching it already, back then, or maybe you just told us about it ....
    Also, I think I remember Wendy is one of your favourites and I'm glad it finally won it's place in this thread.

Why I chimed in ...
    I took a look at the chart, seams chords are not too hard, being very diatonic to Eb Major, while there seam to be opportunities for playing "key changes" over individual chords, ...

... however, I have no idea how to really comp. I tried a bit and I can do my usual plain oldies thing, or more rock/ blues version, no problem., all going by Eb major.

What I'd to do is less open, more obscure version, something kind of detached and somewhat dissonant to Eb major, but still good enough
    What would "YOU" do to get that sound?

I know, you can not know what sound I have in my mind, but reading above you surely got an own idea about it.
    Care to share it here, in written?
    Vladan: Thanks Vladan, actually, the very nice PDF lead sheet you are referring to was submitted and posted by Oilywrag. Personally, when I look at a lead sheet, for me, it is only a set of guidelines for the song. I normally play chord subs based on the lead sheet progressions and sometimes reharmonize the song to sound like something I hear in my head. Yes, this song is one of my favorites and I use it often for jazz gigs.

wiz

wiz

User Info Menu

Vladen, far from me to tell you what or how to do something. But for me I would find Jim Hall and Paul Desmond playing together, the way Jim Hall plays is a great lesson in how to back someone which is what I think you are asking.

BTW Howie loved the video version I downloaded it a little earlier..

Tom..
    Last edited by oilywrag; 11-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank's Tom, I'm listening to some of their recordings at the moment (Take Ten album). Their versions are very pleasing to my tastes, yes. That is something I could go with as my usual style, any day, no complaints. For this occasion, though, I'm looking for more drama per odd harmony rate.

Since I could not find the way to play drama over chords as written I went to reharmonization and almost finished the first 12 bars, the rest should go much easier with all the copy - paste possibilities.

And why not tell me, I asked for it?

User Info Menu

Wiz, XCLNT playing. All your songs are great. How long have you been playing?

I would be curious as to how you would handle Chord Melodies.

edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Wiz, XCLNT playing. All your songs are great. How long have you been playing?

I would be curious as to how you would handle Chord Melodies.

edh
    edh: Thank you for the nice compliment. I have been playing (Off & On) since 1950 but was not able to play from 1980 to 2004. Weekend jazz gigs in Tucson got me through the University of Az with a BSEE in 1964. I retired from my Electronic Engineering career in 2004 and have been actively playing since that time. I graduated from G.I.T. in 1978 and played in the L.A. area until 1980. My favorite playing style is chord melodies, mostly inspired by Howard Roberts and Ron Eschete. I had an bad fall 2 years ago which messed up my left hand and as a result can't play many of the stretch chords I like and I don't do as much chord melody now.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 11-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

nice thread!! Im learning a lot here!

User Info Menu

Man, things have slowed down round here guys

Tom..

User Info Menu

There's still a whole week. I made a darker version, was about to post, went on a trip for a week, when I came back I did not like it any more, at all... got distracted by everyday obligations. Also, due "Targuit thread" and Out of Nowhere I already published one tune this month ... Again, whole week is still there.

User Info Menu

I'm sure you guys will have a laugh, but I never heard this song, at least to my knowledge till this morning! Every time
    Wendy came up in the polls as a song title, with a puzzled look on my face I would search on YT and end up with a lot of posters named Wendy. Seriously.

But I love this tune. I have to complement Oilywrag for his accompaniments and the pdf. (Howie, I'll listen to your version next, but I have not yet.) This Bcikert / Desmond version is wonderful. I really like this type of setting.

I think I can get something up here, but I have to play through this version a couple of times. Great work, Tom! I probably should know this from earlier songs, but what equipment do you use to produce the 'backing tracks'? This does not sound to me like BIAB - sounds like actual musicians - but what do I know? I'd pick this tune over Out Of Nowhere any day.

Edit: Howie, loved your mp3 track, too! Is that BIAB? If so, I have to get that. I didn't check out the video yet, but all in time. Nice playing. I love discovering new songs that are gems - thanks, guys!

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 11-22-2014 at 10:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't Wendy is that common really...but for Desmond/Bickert fans its definitely a favorite.

I'm still going to try and get something up...my sis is getting married a week from today, and life is in overdrive

User Info Menu

Just about the time when you guys finish digging out from the snow, eh Jeff? Or was Chicago spared? Congrats to your sister!

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    Man, things have slowed down round here guys

Tom..
    Yup! I'm going to work up a new version of "What Is This Thing Called Love?". It's a nice Cole Porter song.

wiz

User Info Menu

I'm determined to do Wendy (if you'll pardon the expression).

Hopefully got a bit of spare time this week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit

But I love this tune. I have to complement Oilywrag for his accompaniments and the pdf. (Howie, I'll listen to your version next, but I have not yet.) This Bcikert / Desmond version is wonderful. I really like this type of setting.

I think I can get something up here, but I have to play through this version a couple of times. Great work, Tom! I probably should know this from earlier songs, but what equipment do you use to produce the 'backing tracks'? This does not sound to me like BIAB - sounds like actual musicians - but what do I know? I'd pick this tune over Out Of Nowhere any day.

Jay
    Jay, I normally use BiaB to rough out the tune. Eg Form, Number of choruses, Tempo,Key, Instruments, etc etc etc. Then I export the individual instrument tracks into 'Cubase' where I can play around with the levels, the eq. I normally add one or two plugins the the final mix as well. For most standards I tend to know what I am going to do beforehand so it has become pretty easy these days. I just finished one for a Canadian vocalist, that one needed a few versions in different keys to find the best one for her, but that was no problem once the first one had been done.

Tom..

User Info Menu

I'm sure you guys will have a laugh, but I never heard this song.

what equipment do you use to produce the 'backing tracks'? This does not sound to me like BIAB - sounds like actual musicians
    I'd never heard of it before either.

The backing is probably BIAB Real Tracks - which uses samples of real musicians.

One of the 'real drum' sets I have got in BIAB is actually played by Terry Clarke who was the drummer on the famous Jim Hall Live record.

User Info Menu

Tom - I checked out your web sites. Sophisticated and challenging music you create. I also checked out the CKsounds site. Impressive, at least to my ears. I don't want to probe anything proprietary, but I would like your advice on Band in a Box. Specifically, for someone whose primary interest is jazz instrumentation and maybe a bit of country stuff, which iteration of BIAB with Real Tracks would you recommend?

I know one can always say get the UBER pack but what would you say is at least the basic level for jazz real tracks percussion and bass. I never got BIAB, as I use Sibelius - an older legacy G7 version at that - but I'd like to get that real tracks capability. Your tracks sound pretty sophisticated, and I suspect you probably are using some of the better Garratan software or something as well. Am I wrong? Good stuff you're putting out.

Jay

User Info Menu

Graham, I really am a fan of your playing big time! Impressive. Is this your 'day and night' job? Sounds rather professional to me. Great music you guys are producing in the UK these days.

Jay

User Info Menu

Thanks very much Jay.

No I am a systems analyst/consultant/something-or-the-other in real life (they keep changing my job title!). Guitar is just a hobby.

I started with classical guitar lessons at age 12 which was probably a good foundation.

Having been messing about with jazz since I was about 20 which is a long time ago now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag

BTW Howie loved the video version I downloaded it a little earlier..

Tom..
    Thanks tom, It is one of my Favorite songs from Paul Desmond.

wiz

User Info Menu

Graham, I really am a fan of your playing big time! Impressive. Is this your 'day and night' job? Sounds rather professional to me. Great music you guys are producing in the UK these days.

Jay
    Jay, I second your comment, Graham is an impressive player. I like listening to his playing.

wiz