The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    GB: it's note for note imitation of the first 1:37 of Cage's 4'33''. Seems kind of pointless, no?
    ;-)

Vladan, let's hear the soundtrack next time.
    Let's not wait for too long. It is combination of real music and unconnected licks, but hey, we are having fun, aren't we?
    BTW, I think this thread deserves more entries, each month, especially from non pro players, I mean, we have no reputation to ruin, or whatever, we can do whatever we feel like doing.

Now, not so silent one ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me Vladan - nice to hear a different approach.

I might try and do more of these - it forces me to learn a new tune, which I'm very lazy at doing!

User Info Menu

Barry Greene just did a great lesson on Estate, here's a link to the YouTube preview of it.

Hope it's ok to post this, I've just joined the forum.

regards to all,

Sean

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Damn, I knew I'd heard it before somewhere...
    Well, I don't know about the first buck '37, but you nailed the pace of this tune. For my ear too many either play it too slow, and it dies on the vine for my taste. In that regard Shirley Horn gets a pass...as she often slowed many a ballad down to a crawl...that was her thing...Some play Estate too quickly and its intoxicating flavor is lost...Goldie Locks would approve of your version.

btw, prior to hearing your version, I've been a fan of Matt Otten's version for years...I transcribed it some time back...I can't get enough of playing this tune. Now I'm a fan of your version to...downloaded to iTunes.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I liked this song so much I had to try it again. This time it is the slow version Bossnova style. I think maybe this song would be a very good song for background dinner music in a nice quiet club. I hope you like this version: your comments would be very much appreciated.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/dfrpsvti0k90s7n9wor8

User Info Menu

Wiz, I liked your version, I have 2 things to say, though, they are both in regard to "a dinner in a quiet club" idea:

1. It should be less Jazz and more Bossa. Jazz iz demanding, Bossa is relaxing, from a listener's standpoint.
    2. That ride cymbal is way too loud, almost annoying. I know, it's not your fault, that's how they made it in BIAB, but I had to say it.
    Brushes and soft mallets, that's the way to go.

All above IMO, of course.

User Info Menu

Thanks Vladan, I agree with you about the ride symbol. Actually, I prefer playing with just a good bass player in a duo setting for a quiet club.

wiz