The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

This is a very nice slow Bossanova style with interesting harmony in B minor. The BIAB Realtracks backing track below is a Slow Bossa with a 4 bar introduction, 3 choruses and a standard ending. Have fun with this one.

Backing Track--->Box

Leadsheet----->Box

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 10-06-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Sorry, couldnt edit the title errors:(

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've played this tune forever....Here's a few old takes:

first sort of uptempo with a quintet from about 8 years ago: The recording is pretty good.

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

and slow, with a trio a couple years ago.

I changed from playing in Bmi to Ami a long time ago, so I could use open strings, but I've been changing back
    to Bmi recently. the open strings give a different vibe in Bmi.

User Info Menu

Paul - I have not had the opportunity to listen to your version, but I know the song well, so I'll comment now and listen tonight. And I look forward to hearing your approach, as I know you play well.

The choice of key does make a certain impact. The song plays very well in Bm, but if you sing as well, that key is a bit low by comparison with Bruno's original key of Dm. The song plays nicely in that key as regards the guitar and is better suited to the range of baritones and tenors. I am going to try and put up a version with the original Italian lyrics. I'd like to hear Chris Botti play this song. I'll have to check YT later as well.

Btw, I was looking the other day at YT's policies on uploading videos. They have a very clear section on your implicit agreement that you have copyright to the music or publisher permission to play the song. All very unclear to me, as artists like troubleclef and others put up solo guitar versions of well known songs, where I doubt they have obtained publishers' permission or paid royalties. I was wondering about that in regard to soundclick as well.

Jay

User Info Menu

Targuit,

it's ok to publish a cover as long as you don't make money on it, ie. monetize the clip.
    If you'd to monetize, then play/ sing only improvisation, without heads, as melody of the head and the lyrics are the only possible copyrighted elements.
    So, no worry, just play, sing and share.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Vladan. The monetization clause makes sense, of course, but when you click on the link on "how to upload" etc, the admonition does not mention monetization specifically in the same section. And if a publisher or artist requests that the video come down, I believe they have that right, as you do for an 'appeal' of the decision.

Jay

User Info Menu

If you get the ID match, they'll just ask you to acknoeledge 3rd party content and that is it. When you acknowledge it, it may get restricted in some countries, but not likely, also they could offer you to monetize as cover, if they have a deal with copyright holder. I've dealt with both scenarios, but in most cases ID robot did not even match my covers.
    It's only when you use original recordings, mechanical thing, they ask to take down the clip.
    To monetize, first you have to become Youtube partner and even then, monetization is not enabled by default, you have to purposly click on it.

Again, don't worry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I've played this tune forever....Here's a few old takes:

first sort of uptempo with a quintet from about 8 years ago: The recording is pretty good.

and slow, with a trio a couple years ago.

I changed from playing in Bmi to Ami a long time ago, so I could use open strings, but I've been changing back
    to Bmi recently. the open strings give a different vibe in Bmi.
    Well done Paul, I especially liked the A minor version.

wiz

User Info Menu

This is a little more upbeat than the backing track, but a better tempo for my ears. The more I get into this song, the more I like it. I played this one by ear and for a change, I started the improvisation at the bridge. Please forgive the sound when I am too far outside for you. I think maybe I had too much fun recording it. I've added the song to my next jazz gig. All comments are very welcome and much appreciated.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/m5bhl62lsmy4opdjmasp
    Last edited by wizard3739; 10-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I love this tune - here's my take on it. I used bass and drums from BIAB and added acoustic guitar and electric guitar.

User Info Menu

super nice grahambop. relaxed, melodic

User Info Menu

Well done grahambop, nice tone, beautiful lines, exquisite performance. Thank you very much!

wiz

User Info Menu

Finally got around to listening to all the tracks and they all sound pretty good. I'll have to do a little bit of work on the tune before I post mine.

User Info Menu

I agree with nick1994. And grahambop was one cool refresment, as I can't remember he posted before (I even looked at his profile to check on that).1

User Info Menu

Guys, I'm new to this tune. Is the form really A - A - B - A, or is it just A - A - B ?

Just checking ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Guys, I'm new to this tune. Is the form really A - A - B - A, or is it just A - A - B ?

Just checking ...
    I play it as AABA, but I'm not really answering your question....

User Info Menu

Fabulous job grahambop! While listening I couldn't resist grabbing my arched back jumbo flattop and laying down a comp behind you.

User Info Menu

Delicious and sublime Graham. Thoroughly enjoyed.

User Info Menu

Weird things are going on. Last month a string snapped, this time I forgot to record sound.
    You will have to trust on my word I can play this one, hopefully.

Again, NO SOUND on this one,

Jazz Standard Estate silent cover by me ...

User Info Menu

Check out Joao Gilberto's recordings of this and DO NOT MISS Shirley Horn's version. Knowing the words is a good way not to forget the form; I sing it in Italian and English int he Bm baritone key, it's a luscious tune.

User Info Menu

When I think of this tune, besides Bruno Martino, I find Chet Baker is the guy to deal with. He played with so many fine European jazz guitarists in Italy and elsewhere.

I often play this instrumentally in Bm, but I like to raise the key to Dm for vocals. Anch' io canto in Italiano...

Jay

User Info Menu

Targuit, you can make soundtrack for my silent clip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Again, NO SOUND on this one,

Jazz Standard Estate silent cover by me ...
    I found that very relaxing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I found that very relaxing.
    GB: it's note for note imitation of the first 1:37 of Cage's 4'33''. Seems kind of pointless, no?
    ;-)

Vladan, let's hear the soundtrack next time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    GB: it's note for note imitation of the first 1:37 of Cage's 4'33''.
    Damn, I knew I'd heard it before somewhere...

User Info Menu

I reccomend

1. Tremeloes - Silence is Golden
    2. Einstürzende Neubauten - Silence Is Sexy