The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

This backing track Beautiful Love in F minor is BIAB realtracks, 3 choruses with an 8 bar introduction and a standard ending. Have fun with it!

Howie

Backing Track---->Box

Lead Sheet----->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie,

that Bb9#11 should be a Db9#11, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Thanks, Howie.

User Info Menu

Wow, nice! I've never played it in this key before. The melody falls in a nice register on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barcia
    Thanks Howie,

that Bb9#11 should be a Db9#11, isn't it?
    No, not necessarily, either of those chords will work. Actually, after listening to both chords, I think I like the Db9#11 better.

best wishes,
    wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 08-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Andre Seguin
    Wow, nice! I've never played it in this key before. The melody falls in a nice register on the guitar.
    I have found one version in this key by Anita O'Day:

User Info Menu

I have found one version in this key by Anita O'Day:

Thanks Barcia, this version has long been one of my favorites by Anita O'Day! It is the version I based my backing track on!

wiz

User Info Menu

Howie, I did it because I love this version too. All months you give us a backing. Let me give you this time a present:

P.S.- I can't upload the guitar pro file. Uploaded in .pdf

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barcia; 08-11-2014 at 05:38 AM.

User Info Menu

This is a version of Beautiful Love my wife (Colleen) and I are planning for a jazz gig in early September. Our goal was to have a laid back vocal jazz version in our old style for a retired group of jazz fans. I hope some of you will enjoy it. All comments are very welcome .

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/19qhasdco9ng5bwpic30

User Info Menu

Howie, I did it because I love this version too. All months you give us a backing. Let me give you this time a present:

P.S.- I can't upload the guitar pro file. Uploaded in .pdf

thank you Barcia - Thank you Wiz!

User Info Menu

Nice one Howie. Like I've said in the past, I like the ones you do with your wife singing. theres a nice connection.

I find this tune hard to anything interesting on, it's like autumn leaves, no changes. and the second A is almost the same as the first.

Here's a link to a studio recording I did of this tune about 10 years ago, I feel like my playing has gotten a bit better, but the energy is pretty good, and the rest of the musicians (Ben Himpel on bari, Jonas Oglesbee on drums and Jesse Wittman on bass) are pretty good.

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

User Info Menu

Nice version Wiz. Classic sound.

Paul, i liked very much the rhythmic displacement on "I was contended..." part of melody. I agree with you, your playing is now better and the energy of the recording is very good.

I have just finished my holidays, i will record something soon.

User Info Menu

no one else wants to contribute? don't force me to upload a second version.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    no one else wants to contribute? don't force me to upload a second version.....
    I'm hoping to get something together but the problem is that I haven't played much lately due to a variety of reasons. Schools are back next week so it'll be jam time again.

.......and feel free to post a second version. your playing is great!

User Info Menu

I would do this one but the lead sheet's got no melody so I'll have to try and get one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    I would do this one but the lead sheet's got no melody so I'll have to try and get one.
    Melody looks fine to me. Starts at bar 8 so maybe scroll down a little ?

User Info Menu

whoops! sorry, I didn't realise there was an intro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Nice one Howie. Like I've said in the past, I like the ones you do with your wife singing. theres a nice connection.

I find this tune hard to anything interesting on, it's like autumn leaves, no changes. and the second A is almost the same as the first.

Here's a link to a studio recording I did of this tune about 10 years ago, I feel like my playing has gotten a bit better, but the energy is pretty good, and the rest of the musicians (Ben Himpel on bari, Jonas Oglesbee on drums and Jesse Wittman on bass) are pretty good.

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads
    Nice, That had a great energy about it.

User Info Menu

Here's mine (although I was tempted to call Paul's bluff on that second version!). Critiques and insults encouraged as always:

User Info Menu

Nice one Jehu

great tone, feeling.

Since you asked for criticism, I'll provide one, which isn;t aimed at you so much as at myself and virtually every amateur jazz guitarist I've ever heard. That lick you play at 3:09 should be banned by some international treaty. It sits so well on the guitar and provides hours of the "right notes" on a minor chord (in this case Dminor, but the same lick also is used on Bbmaj), but man, it is overused.......I implore you to remove it from your vocabulary before it latches on like the Alien, as it has in my playing. I can;t get rid of it.....Note that very few of the greats use it.
    Last edited by pkirk; 08-26-2014 at 04:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Heh, yes, that was a bit of an indulgence at the end. I knew there was a reason why I always feel a bit guilty when I pull that one out.

Thanks, Paul -- this is exactly the sort of honesty I need!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Heh, yes, that was a bit of an indulgence at the end. I knew there was a reason why I always feel a bit guilty when I pull that one out.

Thanks, Paul -- this is exactly the sort of honesty I need!
    Jehu, I liked yours as well, great tone. I only have one criticism and it's something that I'm guilty of as well, it's just your lines are a bit jittery, it just sounds a little tense, like you need to relax a little. but other than that, good work.

User Info Menu

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the comment, but I'm not sure I'm clear on what you mean. Is it timing-wise? Could you point me to a particular example? Or is it just a general loosening of my tie that's in order?

Interesting that people are commenting on the tone; that's an old Ibanez Roadstar II (my hollowbody is in the shop)!

User Info Menu

It's not timing, just with swinging 8th notes, they just could sound a little smoother to me.

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks Nick, and I agree completely. I've been changing my picking technique, so that probably has something to do with it.