The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Nice to see and hear this many attempts.

Slight digression first, this song, don't think I've heard it before, reminds me of Russian song (Sub)Moscow Nights (or Evenings).

Wiz - what pkirk said

pkirk - If you mean you got better as in "now I play much more complex stuff with much less effort", than ok, you are better. However, I'd give you 2 likes for this one, if I could. Hopefuly, we all get better players with time, also we learn that experimenting and improvisation while recording, in studio that is billing per hour, is no more than a fairytale.

nick1994 - somewhat contrary to wiz's opinion, I think the tone was a little bit "too naturally natural", I did listen on a PC monitor built in speakers, but still, think you should do something to it, to make it more natural than the real thing.

Jehu - Improvisation all the way, I like it. Thank's to pkirk, I've listened to it from 3:09 in a kind of Memento (the movie) manner.
    BTW, maybe that lick is not used by the greats of guitar, but I gues people fond of Kenny G's guitar counterparts (Are there any?) get thrills on such stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vladan you're right, the melody is really similar in parts, cool song

User Info Menu

Here is mine:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barcia
    Here is mine:

Nice, Sounds like grant green, is that what you were going for?

User Info Menu

well-done Barcia, I especially liked the way you put in many variations of the lines you used for your improvisation. Very enjoyable listening.

wiz

User Info Menu

Nick I wasn't looking for that, but It's a big compliment. Thanks! Your version has some very good licks. Congrats!

Thanks Wiz, none of my friends play jazz guitar, so the comments/criticism from you all are very important to me.

Jehu, I agree with previous comments. It takes time to feel comfortable when you have changes your picking technique.

Tacofarm, nice one! I liked very much the changes of rhythm when comping.

User Info Menu

I've kept meaning to contribute to the tunes here but never made the time. The folks left for about 30 minutes this morning. This was a first take thing. I'm not used to this in this key. It was just a fast thing. I wish there were more choruses though!

BTW I also never take it quite this slow, but it was good. And I enjoyed listening to everyone elses takes. I haven't heard everyone yet, but am working on it!
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 08-30-2014 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice take, Henry -- keep at it, you'll pick up this jazz thing in no time.

Seriously though, awesome to have you on board, Henry. I hope we can get more of the pros on this forum involved; you don't know how inspiring it is for us hobbyists to have players like you in here setting the bar.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much Jay. It was fun. And it's good contributing.

User Info Menu

This is my humble contribution.

Haven't touched the song in around 2 weeks as I have been practising other songs for upcoming jams/gigs.

My thoughts:

Slower tempo, second half of second chorus totally improvised (it shows!), pretty bad tone although I can get a great tone out of my guitar/amp combo but didn't have the time to find it. Like Henry my folks have also gone for a short while though my take was a second take as I messed up the melody in the first take.

The video shows the cover of an Earl Klugh CD so that, hopefully, people will 'listen' instead of 'watching'.

Anyhow like Zappa said 'You are what you is'.

All thoughts welcome;

User Info Menu

Late to the party but since I've been working on that tune for a while now and recorded it the other day I reckon I might as well post it here:

Different key and backing track:

Any comments welcome....