The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi All, The poll winner by a large majority is "Georgia On My Mind". Listed below is a BIAB Realtracks backing track and a leadsheet. This track has an 8 bar introduction, 3 choruses and a tag ending. Oilywrag will also provide a excellent backing track. Have fun with this song!

wiz

backing track---->Box

lead sheet---->Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 07-09-2014 at 12:01 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK, I'll get the ball rolling. I was determined to use the Tele the way the instruction manual instructs.
    But I have to fight this guitar when I play it.

First with the B3 track oilyrag posted:

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

then solo pickstyle

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

comments/criticism welcome.

who's next?

User Info Menu

Hey Pkirk, I like both versions and really enjoyed listening to them. I haven't put together anything worthwhile yet (lack of time) but will try to do something later this week. Thanks for the nice kick-off.

wiz

User Info Menu

pkirk, I especially like the way you placed lines and phrases over time so B3 to fill btw them, as oposed to be harmony pad to play over.

User Info Menu

This my version of Georgia. I tried to make it sound bluesey. Time permitting, I will try to make another version with Oilywrags' B3 backing track.

https://app.box.com/s/01qr4re2ju3c8p8uwe9m

User Info Menu

Pkirk, great playing as usual

Wiz, very nice and relaxed

User Info Menu

Barcia, very nice version with a good bluesey sound and all the good lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

Wiz, good take, as always, but I'd make it even bluesier. At moments it seamed at the tempo 1/8 bop lines can't shine enough.

Barcia, nice blues lines. I'd to hear them over Wiz's backing track.
    Last edited by Vladan; 07-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, this thread is a great idea, I can't believe I didn't know about the practical standards threads before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    Thanks guys, this thread is a great idea, I can't believe I didn't know about the practical standards threads before.
    I've added a bunch of tunes to my repertoire since I started participating. It's a great idea. I wish we had more participation, but welcome aboard nick1994, I hope you'll stick with it. your entry was really nice.

User Info Menu

Wow, some pretty sweet takes this time around. Welcome to the thread, Nick... nice first post.

Here's my modest contribution. Hope you like boobs!

User Info Menu

Also, this was posted over in the 'acoustic archtop' thread. If you haven't heard it, it's well worth a listen:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Wow, some pretty sweet takes this time around. Welcome to the thread, Nick... nice first post.

Here's my modest contribution. Hope you like boobs!
    I do like them, although it's hard to appreciate them in an audio file, especially if there is a real nice jazz guitar playing drowning them out.

I like your clip Jay, and appreciate the fact that you didn't use a backing track. I understand the comfort of using a backing track, but a solo recording really puts your playing out there. Also, no matter how good the track is (and the tracks that wiz and oilyrag post are great), for me, listening to humans is always *more expressive* and "artistic" (whatever that means) than listening to a human and a backing track.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Paul. This is my latest innovation -- it's sort of like chord-melody, but without those pesky melodies weirding things up. I call it 'Chord'.

I'm with you on wishing we had more participation from the forum members (or at least as many people participating as voting!). It would be awesome if Reg came back to these threads... didn't he start this whole thing? But of course I understand, he is a very busy pro musician and is always extremely generous with sharing his expertise when he has time.

User Info Menu

In before the bell! Decided against the "guitorgan" though...ill save that surprise for another day.

Its a fun song...not hard, but just enough cool moves to be interesting.