The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hiya all, The Practical Standards poll winner for June is "The Night Has 1000 Eyes". There are two backing tracks, first a swing version and second a Bossanova version both versions are BIAB real tracks. Both are 3 choruses with a 4 bar intro and a simple tag ending. Have fun with them!

Sorry all, I have corrected both versions of this song to remove the melody track. Sorry for the inconvenience

Howie

Swing backing track---->Box

Bossa backing track---->Box

Lead sheet------>Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 06-08-2014 at 12:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the old Real Book, this title used to look like

"The Meat Has A Thousand Eyes".

User Info Menu

don't "most" jazzers play this latin/swing ?

User Info Menu

Wiz, seams .mp3's intro is 4 bars of 2 chords per bar, while in the chart it's written as 8 bars 1 chord per bar?
    You know I want to do it exactly as proposed, when I do it, so just to make it clear what I should do?
    I think I 'd like it the best as 8 bars with 2 chords per bar, but whatever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    don't "most" jazzers play this latin/swing ?
    Seems that way, akthough the first place I heard it was paul desmond and jim hall doing it as a samba .still my favorite version.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-07-2014 at 08:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Seems that way, akthough the first place I heard it was paul desmond and jim hall doing it as a samba .still my favorite version.
    me too Jeff!

wiz

User Info Menu

An AAB form! Haven't stumbled upon such a form before although it's probably prevalent in loads of songs. Love the Hall chord intro.

User Info Menu

I love this song. The only version I'm aware of is the one by Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Great version, I haven't listened to this in a while. This makes my morning.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    great version!

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    really nice Randaljazz, great trumpet solo!

wiz

User Info Menu

Just for Jeff enjoy

Tom.

User Info Menu

Desmond and Hall, to my taste, at the moment.

User Info Menu

Here is my swing version of "The Night Has 1000 Eyes" complete with some notes I wish I hadn't played. A quickie analysis is: This version is mostly in the key of F major with short modulations to Bb, Ab & Gb and the back to F. I will try to put up a Bossa version later this week. All comments are very welcome and appreciated.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/f2wggpwlzdujc1sdtgo9

User Info Menu

Nice Wiz. Maybe there was a room for a change, like double tempo, or something, but good listen overall.
    In my try outs, I do not remember using Gb? I'm not sure where you used it, but great that you managed.
    I could not.

User Info Menu

Good stuff Wiz, very laid back. Made me want to slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini.

Vladan - I think he's referring to the ii-V-I in the bridge... it's notated enharmonically as an F#.
    Last edited by Jehu; 06-09-2014 at 08:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you Jehu. That descend of ii V I s i treated as "one sound", as I did with whole song.

Let's just say, solo is comped of two takes, switching from one to another. All notes are unedited, left exactly as played. I've erased one or two glitches I could not stand.

I used F major, minor (dorian, melodic ...) and blues) D minor, blues ..., Bb major, Ab major, something Eb ... I think I really followed changes for only one
    bar of /Fmaj7 Gm7C7/, the rest is floating arround ...

Enjoy if you can. I could not really. All critique and advise is highlly wellcome:

Last edited by Vladan; 06-09-2014 at 09:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I like it but to complicated

User Info Menu

Twalters, guess you are talking to me?

Thank you for liking it.

Honestly, I don't think it was too complicated (I think Wizard's version is more complicated than mine),
    likely it is just inappropriately fast. Way faster than genre, not fast enough for WOW factor, too fast for me to play relaxed and with more feel.
    I'm really glad some people like it, though, as it is reflection of my personality, made without calculations and second thoughts.

User Info Menu

I like it Vladan, I'm almost getting a surf vibe out of it.

User Info Menu

My two requisite choruses of wanking:

As always, comments are welcome. (I'm aware of some time issues -- I'm working on it!)

User Info Menu

very nice Jay! great tone!

wiz

User Info Menu

Finaly, 150 far east Asian high school kids left the hotel, so Internet became kind of usefull.

Good one Jehu. I think you're doing it very well. We are all practicing and experimenting in these takes, trying to come up with own vocabulary, I guess.
    On the gig we do not practice, we play only what we know and have rehearsed really well, improvisation included.

User Info Menu

Thanks wiz, vladan, Jehu for your contributions. Great tune, three completely different versions, all interesting.

I'm a little behind this month since I came home last thursday after two weeks away to find half my house flooded (no guitar/equipment damage), but I'm trying to find time to practice a bit. Here's a quick super lo-fi poorly shot take from last night at a friend's house, I accidentally played a Dmin rather than C min both times. The mic picked up the guitar directly rather than the amp. I just got my first phone with a camera so I'll have to learn how to record with it. I don't recommend listening with laptop speakers.