The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

The winner is: "These Foolish Things" by a landslide! Have fun with it!

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi guys thought I'd do the backing for this one this month. Mp3 and sheet can be found
    here 'These Foolish Things'

It has a 2 bar intro and x3 choruses ( just check) as it wasn't the only
    thing I was working on at the time.

Have fun.

Tom..

User Info Menu

Tom, box.com says I "don't have the permission to download this folder. Contact the folder owner"...

User Info Menu

Hi Barcia, I just tried without signing into my Box acc and without signing into my Jazz guitar acc and had no problems.
    I've just sent you a pm.

Tom.

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie and Tom for putting this together.

User Info Menu

I will try my best to take part in this! We will see how it goes.

User Info Menu

great tune this month. Here's some inspiration for everybody, I hope we get more entries than last month.

User Info Menu

I found this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G entry by Bobby Broom [transcribe mode ON FIRE]:

User Info Menu

I like this version quite a bit...

User Info Menu

here's my entry

User Info Menu

Pkirk, if you can tell me, how many mics did you use and where they were placed?

User Info Menu

Mics must be placed on heaven! Beautiful take, Pkirk!

User Info Menu

thanks vladan and barcia. I used two mics, I usually place one near the bass to try to get some of the "wood", and I point them away from the drums which tend to be loud

User Info Menu

great playing and nice recording pkirk.
    the chord melody is awesome.

User Info Menu

very nice jazz playing!
    great feel in ballad tempo...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    great playing and nice recording pkirk.
    the chord melody is awesome.
    Thanks Fritz and Kris. I've been re memorizing the Bickert solo on "who can I turn to" after fritz's post last month reminded me. It's hard not to (attempt to) imitate him.

As far as the recording, I agree it sounds good (although I didn't like the sound when we played). This was in my music room, and I was playing through 2 amps in stereo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Thanks Fritz and Kris. I've been re memorizing the Bickert solo on "who can I turn to" after fritz's post last month reminded me. It's hard not to (attempt to) imitate him.

As far as the recording, I agree it sounds good (although I didn't like the sound when we played). This was in my music room, and I was playing through 2 amps in stereo.
    You have to try record it in studio...if it is possible.
    You can get better mix...at first plan guitar and the comping bass and drums.

User Info Menu

very nice Pkirk, a good version with some good lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

Pkirk, loved it. Nice playing!

Here's mine...As a tribute to Lester Young, I decided to forget the melody of the B section and just make shit up.

User Info Menu

very nice Jeff. This is a great tune. It lays very nicely on the guitar too. It's always cool to hear how different players approach
    different tunes.

one nice thing about this tune is that it is easy to reharmonize, especially in the sense of choosing different bass lines. I hear Jeff doing that too. And Bobby Broom does that like crazy on that clip.

My approach was to the first 4 bars was

(rest) Emaj D7#9 Dbmaj || Cmin Ami7b5 Db7 Db7 || Fmin7/C %%% || Bb13/B %%% ||

and on bars 3 and 4 of the bridge to do a descending bass line from G to E (the 3rd of F, going into Bbmaj)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    You have to try record it in studio...if it is possible.
    You can get better mix...at first plan guitar and the comping bass and drums.
    thanks Kris. But studios cost money and nobody wants to pay to hear my lame noodling. Someday I'd like to buy a 4 track recorder, maybe the Zoom H6:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h6/

so I can isolate the instruments a it better and get a real mix. I have an old Zoom H4 now which is what I use for these rehearsal recordings.

User Info Menu

Excellent takes pkirk and mr. beaumont...

I'll try, again, send something this month!!
    Last edited by clebergf; 03-16-2014 at 07:23 PM.

User Info Menu

well done, Jeff! I especially liked the last chorus and the nice ending.

wiz

User Info Menu

nice sounding take Jeff,
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie! Dzienkuje Kris!

Such a good tune. Lots of fun...and Howie, that was my "crap, how am I gonna end this?" Ending....glad you dug it