The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Great playing Pkirk and Mr. Beaumont!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey guys it's all gone a little quiet round here So I thought seeing how I did the backing I should at least try
    it out. Now some of you know I had a hand injury a few yrs ago and the guitar was on the backburner and
    has been since then. So this was done on the sax OMG, what no guitar If anyone complains I'll delete it.

"These Foolish Things"

Tom..

User Info Menu

Tom: sounds real good to me. Very relaxed. I wish I could play relaxed.

Why doesn't the injury affect saxophone playing?

User Info Menu

Well, my wife would love it, that's for sure.
    I also like it, more so as a perfect example of something I'd use to work on, make my version or something. If this was the version posted as an example, I'd participate posting my version 100%.

I find the tone of sax almost too good to be true. How did you achieve that?

User Info Menu

Alright folks, drop your standards. Head and one chorus of foolishness. Criticisms and insults are welcome.

User Info Menu

@pkirk, Hi Paul glad you like it. Re the injury, what's affected is the lefthand ring and little finger, when playing the guitar they end up going numb. Which means the fine movement is hard to control. When playing the sax the hand positon is totally different it's lower and in front of me not out to the side. Plus the lefthand movements aren't as subtle on the sax haha. So long as I can still make some music it doesn't worry me these days.

@Vladan, Glad you like the track, I've been playing around with the sax for about 3yrs now, as for the tone, no thing special, I just play for 2/3 hours every day, I love playing ballads. The tone your listening to is as recorded no eq and just a little reverb.

Thanks for the comments both of you.

Tom..
    Last edited by oilywrag; 03-25-2014 at 04:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    Hey guys it's all gone a little quiet round here So I thought seeing how I did the backing I should at least try
    it out. Now some of you know I had a hand injury a few yrs ago and the guitar was on the backburner and
    has been since then. So this was done on the sax OMG, what no guitar If anyone complains I'll delete it.

"These Foolish Things"

Tom..
    Great job Tom, Your change from guitar to Sax has been a good success!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, my time will be limited for the next couple of weeks due to gigs I was not expecting to do. I only have one take for These "Foolish Things". It looks like we are having a good response with this great old standard. My input is linked below but I wish I had not played some of the notes for this one. I hope you will enjoy it and forgive the bad notes. If I have time, I will try to do it again before the end of the month

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/sy20dtmwxmvcnshv91yd

User Info Menu

Nice Howie. I love your tone.

User Info Menu

@Howie, it's been an interesting change from guitar to sax. I think phrasing was the biggest thing as I can't just keep on blowing( no circular breathing for me). Thanks for having a listen. I always enjoy your playing, it always is very melodic.
    If you like next month run the poll for the tune, I'll sort out the backing track.

Tom..

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom, that would be a big help for me. Your backing tracks are great!

Howie (wiz)

User Info Menu

Wiz, you never fail to bring out "that" atmosphere naturaly surrounding these tunes. That's what I like the most.

User Info Menu

Nice, Wiz. I really like the laid-back feel.

User Info Menu

Howie...

I hear a lot of Jimmy Raney in your take this month...which is always a good thing!

Nice playing, beautiful tone. Perfect for a great ballad like this.

User Info Menu

Very nice Jay. Well done. What did use for accompaniment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Howie...

I hear a lot of Jimmy Raney in your take this month...which is always a good thing!

Nice playing, beautiful tone. Perfect for a great ballad like this.
    Jeff: Thank you very much, As you may remember, Jimmy Raney has always been at the top of my favorite guitar player list. I have transcribed many of his tunes over the last 10 years.

Howie (wiz)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmsmarr
    Very nice Jay. Well done. What did use for accompaniment?
    Thanks! I struggle with a propensity to meandre in ballads (and in life); glad you liked it. For accompaniment I just used the backing track that oilywrag provided in the thread. It's a good'n.