The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

It is obvious the winner will be "I've Got You Under My Skin"! Thanks to Oilywrag, the backing track & leadsheet were provided and are very good! The backing track has 3 choruses with bass, drums and piano swinging at a good tempo along with a good intro. This one will be great fun for improvising!

backing track--->Box/

leadsheet---->Box

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 02-06-2014 at 02:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey guys. I have a question regarding a timing issue. On measure 25a the are two sets of triplets. IIRC these two sets of triplets take up two beats. Why isn't there a half note rest following the trips?

If these triplets do take up four beats how would one go about playing these. Wouldn't it be better show these triplets as 8th notes followed by a quarter rest?

Confused.

User Info Menu

The two sets of 1/4 note triplets take up the whole measure, 4 beats. It's correct as notated. However, I believe measure 6 is incorrect and should be notated the same as measure 22, plus the all the dotted 1/4 notes with the dots BEFORE the note are driving me buggy.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-07-2014 at 05:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    The two sets of 1/4 note triplets take up the whole measure, 4 beats. It's correct as notated. However, I believe measure 6 is incorrect and should be notated the same as measure 22, plus the all the dotted 1/4 notes with the dots BEFORE the note are driving me buggy.
    Just add the 'G' 1/8 note to to bar 6 Cosmic(That was my fault), as for the dots. The sheet I have has the dots correct, so I don't know why it has turned out like that. Check some of the accidentals as well, there is a # that is right on top of an 'F'. I think it is the way Box.com has handled the pdf data. I know the sheet Wiz has will look right a mine does.

Tom.

User Info Menu

Hey folks, I haven't been around in a while, but I thought I would try to start following these threads again and actually post some music this time.
    As for the dots. It's strange, but on my screen the dots are incorrect, but when I print it, it comes out correct. Must be a pdf issue.

User Info Menu

Ok, so I'm a newbie, but I want to try to play this song. Help me analyze the structure...

I see it as having three parts ABC? I see part A as the first 24 measures (a ii V I in Eb with the added C7) which gives it a nice cyclic movement which repeats.

The B part is measure 25 through 44. I see a ii V I in Eb then a ii V I in C and then back to the Eb three times.

The final section I see as a series of cycles: CFBE twice, then BEAD and wrapping up with ii V I in Eb.

Am I missing anything here? Anyone see it differently?

Dan

User Info Menu

Hiya all, This is my experiment, I used Tom' excellent backing track to try to play on the changes but I am not happy with the result so I will do another one in a day or two with the melody for the first chorus. This one is the kind of thing I might do when soloing with a small group. I really like doing the melody because hearing the song with the melody and chords gets my ears working better.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/cqj4lgb4i70qv2lefxlz

User Info Menu

I liked it all, but the way I am, the best was that part btw 3rd and 4th minute, where you introtuced some octaves (you could gave us more of that, here and there during the course of the tune) and was really cooking for a while.

Bad cable was not a distraction, but you could fix it anyway.

User Info Menu

Here is another version of the song with the melody in the first Chorus. There are a couple of notes I wish I could do over but I have a couple of gigs this weekend to get ready for. I like this version better than the first version but with both versions I seem have a bit of a noise problem. I hope you enjoy listening to this one. I will fix the noise problem (Probably a static problem from the carpet or maybe a bad connection).

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/kei7aylqnfscsi8kurz8
    Last edited by wizard3739; 02-19-2014 at 12:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening Vladen, your comments are very much appreciated.

wiz

User Info Menu

It's all kinda slow round here this month??

Great versions as always Wiz..

Tom..

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom, It is slow and very disappointing. Maybe everyone is getting tired of this thread.

wiz

User Info Menu

Nah...just a super busy month with new baby here...and a song I can't stand

At least that's why I sat out.

User Info Menu

I am most definitely not getting tired of this thread, I have just had a very busy month as well (sans babies, however). I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I appreciate your hard work, Wiz!

User Info Menu

There's still time for the last minute boom.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I've been pretty busy this month, but I have been working on the song. I have the backing track loaded into my recording software and have been practicing over it. I haven't really ended up with anything worth posting, though. I'm practicing much more basic stuff than most of the folks that post on these threads. I'm just trying to be able to play the melody in a few different places on the neck, play the melody with some double stops, noodle semi-smoothly over the changes, stuff like that. Nothing particularly jazzy.

User Info Menu

A lot of work lately, here is my take. It was very hard not to forget where I was (3rd verse? maybe 4th?), in fact I've uploaded the two last choruses of the backing... in the first one I was totally lost in the middle of a sea of II-V-I.

Pkirk, that was really inspiring...
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

And here it is.

All 3 parts I played against BIAB backing track I made by typing in chords from the sheet provided by Oilywrag and Wiz.
    Each part was played separately. I did not listen to my playing, to previously recorded parts, I've listened to BIAB only.
    BIAB backing however was not recorded.

I extracted audio from all 3 video clips, synced them in a DAW, mixed to stereo, adding compression delay and reverb, and then put the mix back to picture.

These are not "first takes" but are the early enough ones, the only ones I've recorded, so they are quite representative of what I'd sound like in a live situation with an unfamiliar tune.

I understand this is a huge standard jazz hit, but I listened to different kind of music all my life.

Apart from being lost now and then, more often than acceptable, I wish I could keep my self from hitting that natural A, but what the ..., here is what it is.

User Info Menu

Barcia, you should turn way up in the mix, I'd rather hear more of you and less BIAB. But nice playing.

Vladan, (as you know) music isn't' a competition, I want to hear your version even if George Benson decides to join in.
    I liked this one, it has a rockabilly vibe to it, with the echo on the rhythm track.

User Info Menu

Thank you pkirk.

Yesterday, I decided to join only because at that moment it seamed Wiz's entries would remain unfollowed, so to help this whole idea survive, as IMO it's one of the best things going on on the forum. That's what I meant when I said I would not bother if I knew there would be 2 more entries. (Isn't there too much Is in that sentence?)

Whatever, if GB joined that would be some party. "We" could tear him appart and his playing, bitchin' he kept too close to/ not following changes, ..., something,..., anything,...

User Info Menu

Wiz, thanks for posting the backing track. Nice rendition.

Vladan you're recording abilities are amazing, as well as the relaxed playing, very in the pocket.

Paul, very original-sounding and kudos for playing with real people.

I never practise this tune, so I was thinking of not posting this time.

Here is my take:

User Info Menu

This was sweet fritz. Wish I could make some extensions sound that good.

And thank you for the compliments.

User Info Menu

fritz jones, nice: I like the clusters and use of melodic ideas. And that beautiful chordal lick I think you ripped off from Ed Bickert at the very end!

User Info Menu

that is an Ed Bickert intro on Where do I Turn To from Live at the Garden Party.

thanks for the comments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    that is an Ed Bickert intro on Where do I Turn To from Live at the Garden Party.

thanks for the comments.
    My favorite tune (who can I turn to) on my favorite Bickert recording. I transcribed that entire tune once, PM me if you want a copy, or if you did one yourself, I'd love to compare.
    Last edited by pkirk; 03-01-2014 at 03:43 PM.