The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

Eric, to sum up my perception of your take - it's what I thought it was, but zoomed, magnified, however you name it.
    It was almost a surprise, but at the same time quite on the line with my thoughts aboiut it, that song.

Re: Warts and all ..., if you played it this way live, people would rave. When you come to record it for real, you'll take more care and preparation.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Eric, to sum up my perception of your take - it's what I thought it was, but zoomed, magnified, however you name it.
    It was almost a surprise, but at the same time quite on the line with my thoughts aboiut it, that song.

Re: Warts and all ..., if you played it this way live, people would rave. When you come to record it for real, you'll take more care and preparation.
    Thanks man...I think....

Warts and all is a British expression which I made in jest. I don't want to do take after take and editing etc...I just like to play and keep it spontaneous and if it gets off the ground...great. If it doesn't, well, better luck next time. To be honest I would prefer to record live and get that "go for it and don't hold back" type of atmosphere. All the best...Eric

User Info Menu

Real nice playing Eric. And your tone is awesome. I'm not a fan of the midi strings (BIAB?), though. I think with BIAB, less is better.

User Info Menu

Barcia, welcome aboard! Nice playing. For some reason your playing sounds "Italian" to me. (I know Seville is in Spain.....who shaves the barber there, by the way?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Real nice playing Eric. And your tone is awesome. I'm not a fan of the midi strings (BIAB?), though. I think with BIAB, less is better.
    Thanks pkirk...Yeah, I put the strings in there (biab) 'cause the tune reminded me of those old A&M Wes recordings...cheese w/extra cheese! I wouldn't dare put them in with a straight ahead tune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland
    My first attempt at this...warts and all!

nice playing!

User Info Menu

Great version of Baden Powell:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    forum input ----> https://app.box.com/s/woacgoqfdtjpd8fzjvy1

Also, I've included my input for this song with my wife, Colleen as the Vocalist. We were practicing for a gig last weekend and decided to use this for the forum. Comments, good or bad are always welcome and very helpful for us. I hope you enjoy it.
    First of all thank you for leadsheet and backing track! I am working on it ...

Your wife has a very beautiful and jazzy voice. Phrasing is very nice. I like your tasty fills and your solo, too. Good sound and recording quality. In my opinion your guitar has a good volume during the solo. While playing fills for Colleen it could be more soften. The focus should stay on the singer.

Once again. Beautiful! Same for your tune Just Mabe. I like it very much!

User Info Menu

Nice comping in the intro. I like your solo. Very nice lines and smooth playing. Imho, that's the way a bossa should sound :-)

User Info Menu

Listened to this a couple of times now Eric and like it a lot. The 'warts' must be very low in the mix because I can't hear them.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing wizard, and congratulations to your wife. I agree with Holgit, the volumen should be lower while she sings. There are a few licks I'm going to transcribe...

Thanks pkirk! I guess you can blame it to the mediterranean, hahaha. Figaroooo!!

User Info Menu

Eric, unlike yours, my "warts" are clearly audible. The only thing i could say about your take is how different are the aproaches of the melody we did. Very fluid lines!

User Info Menu

I was going to woodshed this a bit more, but since the thread is active, here's from a session yesterday. Lots of warts. I kept getting confused because I transcribed the Jim hall solo of from the Desmond
    recording last week when Howie announced the tune, and they play it in Gmi (and Jim plays an extra half chorus).

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12640903

One thing that always trips me up about playing standards from memory with a trio or duo: I play the head and the first solo typically, and so I dont get a "dry run" through the chords until *after* I finish blowing. So usually I'm a little unclear on the chords until it's to late. For example, on this take, I had trouble remembering the backdoor Bb7 before the Cmaj .

User Info Menu

Very nice Paul. Relaxed and tasty...kinda like pizza and a Colts game. With a little "Luck" they could win.
    ps : I like Block Our Fees..reminds me of the cats I played with a long time ago who used to rename tunes. mostly rude names i might add...

User Info Menu

@ pkirk: just perfect!

@Vladan: on melody, I tried to reproduce the feeling of the first version I heard of this song:

User Info Menu

Well, I think you did good job Barcia. She hums the melody with long sustained notes and vibrato, that's what reminded me of violin.

User Info Menu

Eric & Barcia, Congratulations to both of you! Well done & welcome aboard.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Eric & Barcia, Congratulations to both of you! Well done & welcome aboard.

wiz
    Thanks wiz...appreciate your kind words and your contributions.

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    First up hello! I have been a member here for a while, but not really got involved as much as I should. Thanks for the all the hard work put into these monthly standards threads, I have never posted before (or dared to share my effort!) but this song (and some arrangements from you guys!) inspired me to have a go. I have been a rock guitar player for 20 years, but just trying to learn to play jazz. I decided that I would use purely the lead sheet to learn this song, I hadn't heard it before, work out my own chords for comping, and summon the courage to put it here for criticism and (hopefully!) advice.

I know it's a little basic, and a little rough, but I hope you enjoy the track and I am eager to learn, so please criticise and advise if you would like to!

User Info Menu

Stefan, I liked it. You played similar lines to what I was about to play.
    Now I'll have to figure something different. If I only could.

User Info Menu

For a first attempt, you are off to a very good start! I Liked your tone and your time was decent also. The only suggestion I have that may help is to do a lot of listening to the jazz masters to get the language of jazz into your head and make it your own.

best wishes,
    wiz

User Info Menu

I've been meaning to join in on one of these threads for a while, so I just by coincidence was already working on a recording of this tune when you guys chose it for Jan. This was my first take actually and I was going to throw it out and get a better one done but I've been too busy. It's done in the style of Mclaughlin & Dimeola on "The Guitar Trio" recording on my crappy $300 nylon-electric. Some of it is an exact transcription of the rhythm guitar (the slow section mainly), though it's been about 12 years since I transcribed it so it's not exact. Anyways, enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan P
    Hi all,
    First up hello! I have been a member here for a while, but not really got involved as much as I should. Thanks for the all the hard work put into these monthly standards threads, I have never posted before (or dared to share my effort!) but this song (and some arrangements from you guys!) inspired me to have a go. I have been a rock guitar player for 20 years, but just trying to learn to play jazz. I decided that I would use purely the lead sheet to learn this song, I hadn't heard it before, work out my own chords for comping, and summon the courage to put it here for criticism and (hopefully!) advice.

I know it's a little basic, and a little rough, but I hope you enjoy the track and I am eager to learn, so please criticise and advise if you would like to!
    Good take,nice sound.You will be good jazz player.You have just more work on jazz language.
    Thanks
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzen
    I've been meaning to join in on one of these threads for a while, so I just by coincidence was already working on a recording of this tune when you guys chose it for Jan. This was my first take actually and I was going to throw it out and get a better one done but I've been too busy. It's done in the style of Mclaughlin & Dimeola on "The Guitar Trio" recording on my crappy $300 nylon-electric. Some of it is an exact transcription of the rhythm guitar (the slow section mainly), though it's been about 12 years since I transcribed it so it's not exact. Anyways, enjoy.
    can you put it on Soundclouds or box.net?

User Info Menu

Thanks Wiz. Many people are joining, great!

@ Stefan P: I'm a blues / rock guy too, follow the advices given above. Learn some licks, read about enclosures and those kind of things. It will help you a lot with jazz languaje. Wait, I have just remembered this video I saw recently:

@ Guitarzen: very good job! buy a new guitar