The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 80

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzen
    I've been meaning to join in on one of these threads for a while, so I just by coincidence was already working on a recording of this tune when you guys chose it for Jan. This was my first take actually and I was going to throw it out and get a better one done but I've been too busy. It's done in the style of Mclaughlin & Dimeola on "The Guitar Trio" recording on my crappy $300 nylon-electric. Some of it is an exact transcription of the rhythm guitar (the slow section mainly), though it's been about 12 years since I transcribed it so it's not exact. Anyways, enjoy.
    Guitarzen. Really nice. very spanish sounding on the solo esp @3:00 . and your crappy guitar sounds great.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback all

I have done some searching on jazz language ideas, and discovered its a lot about transcribing solo's and ideas from the past masters of the instrument. This is something that I have not done before, so looking forward to getting into a little of that and seeing what happens.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Great stuff everybody..I want to listen closer and give more detailed feedback, but I can say this was a great month for the standards group...

I'll jump in too...here's my one shot take, in between lessons...not the best recording, but you get the idea

User Info Menu

Mr Beaumont, you're as good as always. Do you have some recording playing lines stuff for whole tune? You seam to be quite capable of "burning".

User Info Menu

Thanks...but I'm confused...this isn't the whole tune?

User Info Menu

It is, but you play "chords" for the good part of it. I was thinking, playing lines for 4 minutes straight, something like that. Several choruses.
    Last edited by Vladan; 01-18-2014 at 10:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh, I gotcha...

Well, there's always gonna be chords in there...that's just me

User Info Menu

Yes, that's what make you stand out, but
    I was just wondering... what if ...?

User Info Menu

Alright then! Let's see what I can do...i like a challenge. I'll try and get another vid up tomorrow...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Alright then! Let's see what I can do...i like a challenge. I'll try and get another vid up tomorrow...
    Please do...I liked the acoustic...it lends itself nicely to chordal and blusey treatment. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Hey, I did not want to hallenge you, but i'm sure I'll enjoy the product, anyway.

User Info Menu

sounds good jeff.

User Info Menu

Ok, here's my take. I've recorded it couple of weeks ago, but had too big back record of video material to "solve", so it had to wait for a while. The wait gave me oportunity to do something, in the light of some recent threads, teles vs. hollow bodies, CDs vs. vinyl, ..., I've recorded solo/ melody part on two guitars. The switch is more than obvious, but still, who can tell which is better for this tune, Telecaster, or hollow body?

Also, I made 2 mixes. If you have some spare time, please listen to both and tell me which one you like better, if you should like any of them, first place.

Oh, I forgot. I've replaced the head with something of my own. If you remember, I said I played this one as a bassist, so "my head" on this recording is actually how I played bass back then, while the bass on this recording are those same notes, only played "walking"way. I played the bass on Tele, via GK3 into soft sampler within DAW. It was quantized aferwards. Drums I've programed and quantized to rhythm guitars, but tweaked it further. Of course, sound of the drums are not drums at all ...

Last edited by Vladan; 01-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting vibe.

User Info Menu

I like the 2nd one. 1st one had a more pronounced reggae feel to it.

User Info Menu

Pkirk, Cosmic, edh, thank you for your comments and likes.

User Info Menu

Jeff - nice take on Manha. Could I ask where you created the percussion track? BIAB? Some drum software? Sounded good.

There is another thread on one of the forums on "Black Orpheus" where I linked to YT videos by the brilliant Luis Bonfa with Perry Como and another by the great Carlos Barbosa-Lima. Worth checking out. Here is the Bonfa clip -

Jay

User Info Menu

Jay, that's just irealbook playing through my phone next to my ipad.

Thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

Hi guys. I am pretty new to the forums. I have spent the last month or so checking out all these various threads. Man, there are a lot of great threads covering a wide range of materials. I'm like a kid in a candy store here.

This series of practical study is one of my favorites. Have really enjoyed all of your playing and your discussion and since I too am a student of jazz I am learning to play standards and apply various aspects: chord voicings, techniques, interpretations, style. And I appreciate the comraderie that is expressed.

2 points - mr B, in the sticky you mention that you will update links to older posts. Can you still do this? It is a bit of a search and I would like to look up earlier materials. And, I would like to participate at least to some degree but I dont know the various aspects of how to post tunes, youtube clips etc and there seem to be a variety of methods in doing so. Can someone point to a location where I can learn the basics on this and perhaps give me some brief comments on your preferences? (I dont want to derail your thread)

Looking forward to more. Great thread series Wizard!

User Info Menu

late to the party:

User Info Menu

Fritz: I liked melodic parts the most, but those where it seams like you're following chnages were also rather good.
    Maybe you could've payed more attention to clashes in timing, than to complexity of playing, but I just have listened to some machine "made" music, so maybe did not have enough time addapting to humans.

You were trying couple different and interesting "tricks", for the lack of better word, once you've reached "outness" utilizing those, I think you could have stayed there for a while longer.

All in all, it was pleasurable.

User Info Menu

Overdubbing two guitars usually sounds bad in my experience. I often have trouble keeping the comping going without losing concentration or dropping beats.

User Info Menu

Don't know about missing beats, but usually, I think I hve it all in my head, bass, drums, rhythm, solo ... Then when I record it, it all clashes against each other, so I usually run couple of circles arround before it all settles down. Some clashes I keep for interest. Sometimes, when tired and lazy, I just splice and edit the crap to fit.

User Info Menu

Very organic and together sounding to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    late to the party:
    FJ, nice one. I also have problems keeping time when I try this, but I thought your time was steady for the most part.

(and nice word play)