The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

And the winner is : Miestones (Old Version) A backing trac from BIAB Realtracks is listed below along with its' lead sheet. This is 3 choruses with an 8 bar intro and typical ending. Have fun with this great old bebop song!

Note: The corrected version of the backing trac has been relisted in the new message below, thank you very much M-ster & Pkirk for your help.
    Last edited by wizard3739; 12-03-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: removed old backing trac

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Howie. I was unfamiliar with this tune until it started showing up in the Practical Standards polls ... But, now I've checked out a few versions, including the original (I think), and I'd like to offer a couple of observations.

The tune has a written intro that most covers seem to have included. These are bars 5 - 12 in your PDF. These bars are a written intro and are not part of the tune's form - which is a standard 32-bar, AABA form. The standard 32-bars are bars 13 - 44 (or staves 4 through 11) in your PDF. For the solos, only the 32-bar form is repeated.

Also, the changes for the written intro (again, bars 5 - 12 in the PDF) are not what's on the Parker recording, but that may have been intentional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Hi, Howie. I was unfamiliar with this tune until it started showing up in the Practical Standards polls ... But, now I've checked out a few versions, including the original (I think), and I'd like to offer a couple of observations.

The tune has a written intro that most covers seem to have included. These are bars 5 - 12 in your PDF. These bars are a written intro and are not part of the tune's form - which is a standard 32-bar, AABA form. The standard 32-bars are bars 13 - 44 (or staves 4 through 11) in your PDF. For the solos, only the 32-bar form is repeated.

Also, the changes for the written intro (again, bars 5 - 12 in the PDF) are not what's on the Parker recording, but that may have been intentional.
    Hiya M-ster, You are right, I "borrowed" this arrangement from John Lewis (MJQ) to save some time and your analysis is correct (AABA form). I will put up another backing trac without my intro to agree with your analysis. Thanks very much for your observation and help.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Hiya M-ster, You are right, I "borrowed" this arrangement from John Lewis (MJQ) to save some time and your analysis is correct (AABA form). I will put up another backing trac without my intro to agree with your analysis. Thanks very much for your observation and help.

wiz
    Hey wiz

the backing track is still messed up. the intro and first chorus are right, but in subsequent choruses the first A section is wrong.

Awesome tune, by the way. The melody is awesome and the changes sinewy and tricky. That little /Cmi C#mi/ Bmi / thing is cool.

Paul

User Info Menu

Thanks Paul, I'll fix it in the morning. I have always loved this song, Ron Eschete introduced me to it in 1977. He was playing a trio gig at Donte's at that time.

wiz

User Info Menu

I'm always thinking about participate on this...I'll try to start with this one, next year I'll study bebop at school...

User Info Menu

I am very sorry about the bad backup tracs, the corrections are listed below, please let me know if there are any other problems.

wiz

new backup trac----->https://app.box.com/s/l3ruyo9cgefnqwv8sfha

leadsheet------>https://app.box.com/s/21nqgmdjbi8da6bw0fko
    Last edited by wizard3739; 12-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

classic tune.
    Rene Thomas has a great version.

I recorded it practicing with aebersold:

User Info Menu

Nicely done Fritz! Some really nice improv here, Good tone and a clean recording. Thanks for sharing.

wiz

User Info Menu

Fritz great sound ....How are you recording it? Do you record then upload to Soundcloud?
    What equipment?
    Marc

User Info Menu

wrong handle
    Last edited by hodge12; 12-04-2013 at 03:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words.

The equipment is a direct signal into a Line 6 Guitar Port which I have had forever (2007) with the Gear Box amp modelling which came with it, on my PC with windows 8.1.

It has taken a lot of tweaking to get a decent jazz sound out of it. Most of the default sounds are too bright sounding.

Though it may sound like a clean tone, it is a combination of the simulated effects like compression and RAT distortion pedal, and heavily eq'd.

The recording software is the demo version of Reaper which never expires.

I really don't know anything about legit recording with microphones or pro tools and that stuff.
    Last edited by fritz jones; 12-04-2013 at 03:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Fritz! Both the playing and that nice tone you were able to squeeze out of your setup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    Thanks for the kind words.

The equipment is a direct signal into a Line 6 Guitar Port which I have had forever (2007) with the Gear Box amp modelling which came with it, on my PC with windows 8.1.

It has taken a lot of tweaking to get a decent jazz sound out of it. Most of the default sounds are too bright sounding.

Though it may sound like a clean tone, it is a combination of the simulated effects like compression and RAT distortion pedal, and heavily eq'd.

The recording software is the demo version of Reaper which never expires.

I really don't know anything about legit recording with microphones or pro tools and that stuff.
    Nice playing fritz. I wish I had your chops. I dig the way you navigate between being literal with the changes and sticking to your melodic intention. It's a challenge, I've been listening to the Rene Thomas version, but also (Dexer Gordon with Freddy hubbard and cedar walton)

User Info Menu

Thanks, pkirk. Playing with a backing track isn't the same as the real thing, which I don't do enough.

User Info Menu

Thanks, pkirk. Playing with a backing track isn't the same as the real thing, which I don't do enough.
    It's hard to do enough of, with so few gigs and so little time….

User Info Menu

@ Fritz, man, this was, I don't know,..., impressive? I hear it as some real classic Jazz played with modern technique.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Vlad!
    I am wondering what you will do with this tune.

User Info Menu

Being in "rehab" mode (from Jazz, switching back to "Genre: other - various"),
    I think I'll pass on this one.

Since I have one finished (for weeks and months already), but unpublished (and unplayed for about the same period)
    reharmonization of a bubblegum pop song that I'd better "save" before I forget what it was about, rehab may prove to be unsuccessful.

User Info Menu

Great playing fritz. Great tone.

User Info Menu

classic tune.
    Rene Thomas has a great version.

I recorded it practicing with aebersold:
    Nice solo and a lot of great jazz lines.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I might just jump in here. Love this song (we played it in student combo in my undergrad program - I've forgotten the exact changes, but I sure remember the tune!). Gotta spend a bit of time setting back up my studio and recording abilities after the recent move.

User Info Menu

wes sound....knew he didnt use a pick Great stuff

User Info Menu

here's my takes: first with a bass player (with some flubs on the out head)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12609471

and then over a backing track.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12609442

I'm in a major "I suck" phase at the moment, and this tune (and these takes) really depresses me. I did transcribe the first chorus of Rene Thomas's solo and have that memorized, I've never transcribed him before and I gained an appreciation of his improvising.

User Info Menu

Those were fantastic, Paul! Really.