The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Hey pkirk, I can't listen to your takes right now (I will later today), but to address your sentiment. These days, I'm just about sick of my own playing. Can't stand it. All the same notes and phrases over and over again, with no sense of time and grooveless.
    Hopefully, soon enough, I will change (back and again) to perceiving it as a specific and ultimately excellent style.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Hey pkirk, I can't listen to your takes right now (I will later today), but to address your sentiment. These days, I'm just about sick of my own playing. Can't stand it. All the same notes and phrases over and over again, with no sense of time and grooveless.
    Hopefully, soon enough, I will change (back and again) to perceiving it as a specific and ultimately excellent style.
    Yeah. For me, the problem is that the one main jazz club in town closed down, so most of my playing now is with the same old set of friends, with few gigs to prepare interesting stuff for, and we tend to play the same old way. (e.g. the clip with the bass player above). In particular it ends up being standards/bebop, and I find bebop about the hardest kind of jazz to play well: it requires perfect time/precision/chops/language, and I only have a few things under sufficient control.

I just need to call a few other people I know, mix things up a bit.

User Info Menu

very well played pkirk.
    nice breathing/phrasing.

User Info Menu

@ pkirk
    Cheer up man, you're good. It surelly sounded like real Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I'm in a major "I suck" phase at the moment, and this tune (and these takes) really depresses me.
    Dude, the fact that those takes really depress you depresses me. If I played like that I would be quite pleased with myself, to put it mildly. Very nice stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Dude, the fact that those takes really depress you depresses me. If I played like that I would be quite pleased with myself, to put it mildly. Very nice stuff.
    Thanks for the nice words guys, and sorry for the whininess. I pulled the tele out this evening, it turns out all I needed was to pick a different guitar! Now if I can just convince my wife my mental health depends on this 335 I've been eyeing....

User Info Menu

Great playing pkirk! I have every confidence that your obvious talents will carry you through your current problems.

best wishes, wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Thanks for the nice words guys, and sorry for the whininess. I pulled the tele out this evening, it turns out all I needed was to pick a different guitar! Now if I can just convince my wife my mental health depends on this 335 I've been eyeing....
    Seams we' re in sync these days. Yesterday, while walking shopping mall with my wife, depressed by all the shoes and garments, at one moment I sighed about purchasing a new guitar. 355, or 335 would be the 1st choice from the heart, but Mexican Tele Thinline is almost realistic, meaning another Squier is half way home. Unfortunatelly, the guitar shop is far away from where I live.

User Info Menu

Amazing playing pkirk!!!
    I'm sure that soon you will be "happy" for playing again...your skills are very good!

I think I'll pass this song, I'm not able yet to make something with this song...

User Info Menu

thanks clebergf. dont pass! remember, this is not a competition. play it slow, or rubato, or just play the melody. I have learned a lot learning this tune.

User Info Menu

Thanks pkirk...I don't look at this as a competition, but thanks for remind me and to encourage me to participate..