The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

The winner of our poll is "Night & Day", written by Cole Porter. The backing track is a Rhumba with an 8 bar intro, a standard ending and 3 choruses made with BIAB Realtracks

The other backing track has a vocalist and a good pianist from Newport Beach (Bill Ippolito and my vocalist (Colleen Brown)). We were rehearsing for a CD for family & friends. My guitar track was removed so those of you who are interested in trying this with a vocalist can add your own guitar track. Also, I thought a Latin approach would be fun for this great song. Have fun with this!

wiz

Latin (Rhumba) backing track---->Box

Latin backing track with a vocalist---->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool! So how do these things work? Do we just continuously record ourselves do the tune and upload it?

Edit: Don't mean to put down the work you put in on this, but the changes you use here are pretty weird. And also the way your chart is layed out is also pretty weird as well, that repeat sign on measure 2 of the form I think is out of place. I hear this tune played more commonly with the Joe Henderson changes than the original ones.
    The ones I use are: (in Eb Major)
    l BMaj7 l F-7 Bb7 l EbMaj7 l % l

Anyways, I'm probably going to use an aebersold playalong that does those changes. I'll be glad to upload that one to here as well together with the lead sheet if anyone would like to give that version a shot.
    Last edited by jtizzle; 11-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice material!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    Cool! So how do these things work? Do we just continuously record ourselves do the tune and upload it?
    I think the thread series works on many levels: for beginners it gives a tune to learn and share, for others an opportunity to try something different with a tune.

User Info Menu

Hi Everybody, I have adjusted the lead sheet above to a more common approach although the original was useable as is.
    The new lead sheet is below. Also, There really is nothing weird about the progression I used for the backing track. It is basically the same exact progressions used by Cole Porter transposed into the key of F major. The 8 bar intro is there to set up the Latin rhythm. I have added a swing version of the backing track for those of you who might prefer a swing version of the song.

backing track (swing)-----> https://app.box.com/s/b40dzaf0jnlv56natbt3

lead sheet---->https://app.box.com/s/uh4kzizbk76jpau07jdp

User Info Menu

Howie, you left out the most important harmony of them all! I'm not familiar with the history of this song so it may be correct according to the original, but what tickles me when I've heard this song is the very first chord. The 5th in the melody suddenly becoming a maj7. It is somewhat unexpected and outside of key. In this key that would be the Dbmaj7.
    Last edited by Runepune; 11-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    Howie, you left out the most important harmony of them all! I'm not familiar with the history of this song so it may be correct according to the original, but what tickles me when I've heard this song is the very first chord. The 5th in the melody suddenly becoming a maj7. It is somewhat unexpected and outside of key. In this key that would be the Dbmaj7.
    Please explain what you mean by the "most important harmony". My ear tells me the DbMaj7 and the G-7b5 are both very usable as the first chord supporting the melody. Actually, I have 4 or 5 different versions(arrangements) for the song and both chords are used.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Please explain what you mean by the "most important harmony". My ear tells me the DbMaj7 and the G-7b5 are both very usable as the first chord supporting the melody. Actually, I have 4 or 5 different versions(arrangements) for the song and both chords are used.

wiz (Howie)
    It's just a more unusual choice. Starting off somewhat outside of key on the very first chord. Just saying that that particular chord choice defines that song. For me It just tickles so much more than a straight 2-5-1. The pdf you uploaded also uses Dbmaj7 as the first chord.

But of course, I'm not saying your choice is "wrong"!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Hi Everybody, I have adjusted the lead sheet above to a more common approach although the original was useable as is.
    The new lead sheet is below. Also, There really is nothing weird about the progression I used for the backing track. It is basically the same exact progressions used by Cole Porter transposed into the key of F major. The 8 bar intro is there to set up the Latin rhythm. I have added a swing version of the backing track for those of you who might prefer a swing version of the song.

backing track (swing)-----> https://app.box.com/s/b40dzaf0jnlv56natbt3

lead sheet---->https://app.box.com/s/uh4kzizbk76jpau07jdp
    It's just weird to me in the sense that I play the Joe Henderson changes when I do the tune. Closer to the one the one in your post above. Does the bVI maj, ii-V-I, instead of the half diminished chord.

Joe even added a ii-V when it goes back into the bVI, so it sounds kind of like Giant Steps for a second.

Edit: Just what Rune said. Both chords are acceptable choices, and I have also seen charts with the half dim chord, but the bVI sounds so much better I think, haha.

User Info Menu

... Joe even added a ii-V when it goes back into the bVI, so it sounds kind of like Giant Steps for a second.
    Sounds interesting ... Gotta check that out. ii-V of the bVI, right?

User Info Menu

Right. In Eb, it would go
    l BMaj l F-7 Bb7 l Ebmaj l C#-7 F#7 l
    and repeat. The recording is on Inner Urge, you should totally check that out.

User Info Menu

Right. In Eb, it would go
    l BMaj l F-7 Bb7 l Ebmaj l C#-7 F#7 l
    and repeat. The recording is on Inner Urge, you should totally check that out.
    Joe Henderson play this tune in another key... in D.
    Very nice chords he used.

User Info Menu

Here's my take...

a great "easy" tune...it has a lot of room in it. Fun stuff.

User Info Menu

Hi Jeff, I couldn't get your link to work but I will try again in the morning.

wiz

User Info Menu

Listened last night on YT. You already know my position about your playing. This time, lack of (usual) ambient noise made it even better.

User Info Menu

Thanks Vladan...you mean you don't love barking dogs, a babbling 2 year old, or the sound of a vocal lesson in Greek in the background?

Howie, I'm not sure what's up...seems to work here. I hope you get to check it out.

User Info Menu

Jeff, nice. I like your voicings, use of vibrato to squeeze more out of some chords.

User Info Menu

Here is my version of Night & Day complete with a few notes I wish I hadn't used. I installed new strings (TI .14 to .55) so there may be some flat notes. I made a new backing trac to include the verse. This song is a personal favorite of my wife & I.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/q40yhbigbgb9ac7jtlff
    Last edited by wizard3739; 11-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.

User Info Menu

howie. great tone and some nice lines.

User Info Menu

Alright folks, let's scale things back here. Criticisms encouraged, as always.

User Info Menu

Good playing Jehu, I like your tone and relaxed approach to the song.

wiz

User Info Menu

Jehu: Nice tone, and swinging.