The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

"My Foolish Heart" is the poll winner for October. Below you will find backing tracks for this song. The backing track is a BIAB realtracks style win a 4 bar intro, 3 choruses and a standard ending. Have fun with these tracks!

wiz

backing track---->Box

PDF lead sheet----->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love "My Foolish Heart", and would have voted for it, but I thought the poll choice was "These Foolish Things".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I love "My Foolish Heart", and would have voted for it, but I thought the poll choice was "These Foolish Things".
    That was "foolish" of you.

One of my favorite ballads.

User Info Menu

One of my favorites!

Jay

User Info Menu

I also thought I was voting for "These Foolish Things". Haven't heard this standard yet, but the backing tracks are nice

User Info Menu

great tune.

User Info Menu

wow! I am truly sorry about the mistake I made in the poll title!! The intended title was "My Foolish Heart". I will put "These Foolish Things" in the November poll because many of you really wanted that song. Both songs are nice old ballads and you won't regret playing either of them.

sorry again, wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 10-05-2013 at 09:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Howie,

Thanks once again for the effort that you put in.

I have one quick question:

In bar 8 of the melody is the D melody note correct against the C half dim chord ?

It just sounds very dissonant against an already dissonant chord.

I'm not familiar with the song so I am just checking.

Many thanks.

User Info Menu

Ooh, I'll be in on this one...one of my favorite ballads..."heart" that is. "Things" is nice too, but "heart"...oh yeah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Hi Howie,

Thanks once again for the effort that you put in.

I have one quick question:

In bar 8 of the melody is the D melody note correct against the C half dim chord ?

It just sounds very dissonant against an already dissonant chord.

I'm not familiar with the song so I am just checking.

Many thanks.
    Thanks for the question:
    1) The D note and the C-7b5 chord are as written by Victor Young from my reference lead sheet.
    2) IMHO, there is no dissonant sound in the melody/harmony of that note & chord sequence.
    3) I hear the minor ii-V (C-7b5-F7b9) as a simple minor ii-V that perhaps adds a bit of tension to the harmonic /melodic content of the song as it goes back into Bb Major.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 10-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Ok, as you can see I haven't devoted a whole lot of time to this chord melody.

I'd love to devote more time but I have a jam session this evening for which I had to learn a pile of songs plus I have 3 young kids etc. At least it isn't towards the end of the month because I would not have anytime for the PS thread with my work which gets busier towards that time.

Anyhow the CM is pretty rough, as you can see I wrote it out and am reading it, but I am posting it to motive me to practise more and not to embarrass myself anymore.

User Info Menu

Liars poker...liked it a bunch. I agree, I've heard your playing getting much better...

kris, what can I say...I always love hearing you play.

for some reason mark's version wouldn't play on my ipad...I will try again in a few...sure it's on my end.

Heres my humble contribution...only enough time for one take this morning....it's okay, but I'm gonna try another...this song is too good, I gotta do it a justice.

User Info Menu

Cheers guys. I can feel that I am improving too.

A bonus of this thread is that I get introduced to songs that I would otherwise not have heard.

I also like the fact that every version from all contributors is so different......and I like them all.

User Info Menu

very nice Mr. B, as usual!

wiz

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying re-listening to everybody's take. This is such a great tune, it plays itself.

Here's my take, a bit sloppy and a bit sappy. double tracked with the tele with tone off and tone

User Info Menu

Very interesting take, pkirk!

User Info Menu

great feel/full sound mr beaumont.

and

I agree that "Very interesting take, pkirk!" very subdued.

also very nice tone. "chiming" chording sound is great.

the chord track a little hard to hear though.

I too am glad I took part in this exercise.
    Last edited by markf; 10-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks markf and M-ster. I set the balance using headphones and it sounds pretty good that way, but listening over the computer speakers, I hear mostly the solo, which is too bad since my focus was on the "deharmonization" more than the melody. I suspect most people listen to internet music over computer speakers, so maybe I'll remix if I didn't destroy the tracks already.

User Info Menu

very nice take pkirk, nice tone from your tele.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Thanks markf and M-ster. I set the balance using headphones and it sounds pretty good that way, but listening over the computer speakers, I hear mostly the solo, which is too bad since my focus was on the "deharmonization" more than the melody. I suspect most people listen to internet music over computer speakers, so maybe I'll remix if I didn't destroy the tracks already.
    Tele sounds great!

User Info Menu

Finally got to check out mark's...very cool...especially love the acoustic intro.

pkirk, tele and playing sound great...a little chorus? Very tasteful.

User Info Menu

thanks jeff, kris. jeff I'm not sure if there's chorus, its a preset on the multi-fx pedal I use as a usb interface.
    definitely delay, and lots of EQ.
    Last edited by pkirk; 10-14-2013 at 10:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome song! There's some great renditions going on here keep up the good work everyone.
    I'll try to post something in the next week

I'm not sure why but this song is really in my head from when I was younger. Must have been on a movie or something.

about the comment with the D over the Chalf Dim. That is my favorite part of the whole tune!!!!
    Last edited by euterpe; 10-15-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: grammar police

User Info Menu

Hey All, I'm sorry it took so long to have an input on this song. I couldn't resist doing a "completely by ear" version on this song because it is a favorite of my wife and she thinks I sound better when I play by ear. So, here is my version of "My Foolish Heart" complete with apologies for any bad notes or changes I may have made in the melody line. I hope some of you will enjoy it.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/cyq9yfn2c559s0w0myqd

User Info Menu

hi, sounds very nice!