The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

"This I Dig Of You" is a melodic jazz ballad with interesting changes. The BIAB, realtracks backing track below is 4 choruses with a 4 bar intro and a standard ending. It is a Bill Evans Trio Style track. Enjoy, this one is not common and will be new to some of you.

Backing Track--->Box

Lead Sheet----->Box

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    "This I Dig Of You" is a melodic jazz ballad with interesting changes. The BIAB, realtracks backing track below is 4 choruses with a 4 bar intro and a standard ending. It is a Bill Evans Trio Style track. Enjoy, this one is not common and will be new to some of you.

Backing Track--->https://app.box.com/s/0ju1skdnl4ted92awgm3

Lead Sheet----->https://app.box.com/s/qgn5bg6p5x63wyr7lhmk

wiz
    I've never heard this tune as a ballad??....usually always up, but whatever....it's all good

I'm really going to give this one a shot even though I have a lot of extremely heavy stuff going on in my life right now. I need something to distract me even if it's just for a bit.

User Info Menu

I've only ever heard the Mobley take on it... I'm liking the slowed down approach

User Info Menu

I'll give this a shot after football is over. I'm still learning to cheer for the Patriots instead of the Bears, but this is not going easily. I may have to decompress before I hit the practice room.

User Info Menu

OK, I went upstairs at halftime and noodled on this one. It was really hard as my computer speakers are really weak and I had trouble hearing the backing track, and it is REALLY hard to play this tune at this tempo. I have always taken it much, much faster, so this was a welcome change to try to make a disciplined solo on a tune that just naturally feels like it wants to pull you elsewhere. Great choice, Howie!! Not easy to do; good to shake up the normal routines.

User Info Menu

Thanks jseaberry. I can't play this song slowly, so I recorded a backing track with my buddies and then noodled over it

I also posted a "live" version with a trio which is a bit more musical, but not as clearly recorded

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

and here's the backing track, if anybody wants to use it instead of Howie's, I'd love to hear other people blow over this track
    (although there is a slight flub at the beginning of the second chorus)

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

Paul

User Info Menu

I'm still waiting for the sloppy playing.....oh, here's my Surrey With The Fringe On Top! Sorry, gotta go!

User Info Menu

wow! We have real good music going on here!

jseaberry - very nice fingerstyle approach, liked your choice of voicings. more, please.

pkirk - very hot, burnin' with good lines and tone.

Those of you who haven't listened to these players yet, You're missing some good music!

wiz

User Info Menu

OK, I finally got my home studio back together and below is my version "This I Dig Of You". Again,
    this is mostly by ear but I did do a little analysis on the changes. I purposely tried to make it a bluesey ballad. If I have time, I will try to do an upbeat version. I really like this song and wish I had more time to spend with it. I hope you enjoy it.

https://app.box.com/s/1m7r89o5pw30ypxul4x4

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 09-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing wizard. Just beautiful.

User Info Menu

nice job Howie. As usual with your clips, a very relaxed phrasing makes it nice to listen to.

User Info Menu

There is some very nice playing on this thread but someone has to take the tone down (pun intended).

I voted for this song, and have been intending to participate in the Practical Standard threads for sometime, so I was determined to get something down at least.

My wife is currently out with the older boys (so I have a little bit of time) but the 1 year old is asleep upstairs (near my new Ibanez AFJ85 and VOX AC15 amp so I'd rather play the acoustic than risk wake a sleeping baby.

This is only the first 12 bars but given the time I have, and the fact that I should be practicing for next weekend, it is all I can do.

My timing gets a bit sloppy and that pause at around 9 seconds or so is intentional (cringe).

As Zappa said 'It is what it is':

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker

This is only the first 12 bars but given the time I have, and the fact that I should be practicing for next weekend, it is all I can do.
    Hey Liarspoker: Thanks for contributing. You stopped just before the one real chord change in this tune: that Dbmi7. You should repost, with at least the first half, (or better, an entire chorus) and make sure you negotiate that one change.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Nice, guys! Kris, which guitar is that? Sounds great!
    Hi M-ster,
    Thanks.
    This is korean clone of D'Aquisto New Yorker-D'Aspiranta.
    I put on it Kent Armstrong floating Paf and Bob Benedetto tailpiece/ebony over metal/.Attachment 8579

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Kris

Great playing, and I dig the head arrangement. I'm curious about the backing. It sounds like a midi Bass, and I'm not sure about the rest. Is this jut BIAB? Did you add the shaker?
    Thanks.
    Yes it is midi bass,shaker and drums.Bass and drums were imported/midi files/ from BIAB.
    I use Propellerhead Reason Esentials and Balance for recording.

User Info Menu

Hey Liarspoker: Thanks for contributing. You stopped just before the one real chord change in this tune: that Dbmi7. You should repost, with at least the first half, (or better, an entire chorus) and make sure you negotiate that one change.
    Thanks for your comment pkirk.

I'll see what I can do but this week is focused practising only and my busy time at work is months end.

Where there is a will there's a way right.

User Info Menu

One more take: I've been trying to figure out how to get that underwater delay/reverb sound that all the cool NYC cats are using. I used the tele this time, but a crappy amp I borrowed. But I'm digging the delay (carbon copy) and verb (neunaber wet)

User Info Menu

One more take: I've been trying to figure out how to get that underwater delay/reverb sound that all the cool NYC cats are using. I used the tele this time, but a crappy amp I borrowed. But I'm digging the delay (carbon copy) and verb (neunaber wet)

Nice playing with good feel.
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

Better too late than never ... haven't really played guitar since mid June, but no excuses ...

User Info Menu

nice melodic lines! more!

wiz

User Info Menu

My crack at the tune -- the head and one chorus of noodling. Again, pointers, guidance, criticisms, and relevant insults are encouraged.

Also please feel free to comment on my tone (aside from a bit of clipping), I just got this amp yesterday and this is the result of my initial fiddling. If this isn't the thread for that sort thing let me know; I'm still new around these parts.

User Info Menu

I like the tone. Care to share what gear you used?
    I like the approach in general. Variation on melody is one good way to do it on a short notice, while one chorus give no time for further development.
    Judged from this clip, we play at about same level, but one piece of advice anyway, the rest you'll figure for yourself - on some places you do it, on some not, but dont let landing notes ring to fade. They don't have to be too short either, but let us know you was the one who made them stop. I have nasty habit of doing some s*itty gliss at ends of phrases, but It should just stop, preferably in a groovy manner. That's the best way to do it. I think.

User Info Menu

Jehu: super nice tone. what equipment did you use?

Nice playing. the only thing I'd offer is that I'd like to hear you hit that Dbmi7. I think I heard you nail a couple of Howie's maj7 reharms. It a strange thing that more experienced you get, the more you learn how to ignore changes, but early on, you need to learn how to hit them.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. That is a Godin Kingpin II CW through a Cube 40GX.

Vladan - Great tip on the ringing landing notes, I've never really considered that. I'm still wrapping my ears around getting that 'jazz sound' into my playing. With regard to variation on melody, that was one of the suggestions on last month's standard... so I am taking your comments to heart!

pkirk - That's funny, I actually was trying to hit that Dbmi7! I knew I was off, so I tried to camouflage it with the next phrase. Couldn't slip it past you, huh?