The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

The winner is "I Remember You". Backing tracks below

Backing Track---->Box

Leadsheet----->Box

great choice! a very easy old standard with nice melody & Chords. Have fun with this! 3 choruses with a 4 bar intro and a standard ending (jazz trio---drums , piano & Keyboard) plus you?

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 08-09-2013 at 03:24 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been in my repertoire for some years now...

I play Kenny Burrell's version of it...

time on the instrument man..

User Info Menu

great tune. Thanks again Howie. One question: did you intend that Dbmi7 4 bars from the end? It's kind of cool, but I wonder if you meant Abmi7 or D7 or Dmi7

User Info Menu

Yes, I put this together several years ago from a chart that could easily have some strange changes in it.

No apparent harmonic intent here, must have been an "ear" thing.

Howie

User Info Menu

I really enjoy jamming with that backing track...Thank you

User Info Menu

I've just transcribed very nice solo of Tal Farlow...:-)

User Info Menu

Thank you Kris.

User Info Menu

Well, I voted for this one so I suppose I have to post something. I hope you guys don't mind jazz newbies playing too. This is all quite new to me, so any comments, suggestions, criticisms, insults, etc. are encouraged.

I took a crack at a chord-melody version:

And this is embarrassing, but here is with the backing track. The head and then one chorus of senseless noodling:

Last edited by Jehu; 08-29-2013 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Jehu

I'm not sure you still qualify for "newbie" status: that chord-melody sounds pretty good to me.
    Since you asked for comments, here's one: on your solo-with-backing-track,the tempo is really slow, so on the one hand that gives you time to nail the changes, but the down side is that if you don't play swinging 8th notes (and triplets) *in time* you wont get a feel going. Lot of times people compensate for this by double timing. you might force yourself to play slow, swinging 8th notes, to get more of a groove going.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Well, I voted for this one so I suppose I have to post something. I hope you guys don't mind jazz newbies playing too. This is all quite new to me, so any comments, suggestions, criticisms, insults, etc. are encouraged.
    1 version :try to play with metronone and control you time.
    Anyway you have good guitar sound.
    2 version: This tune has a lot nice II V progressions and I can not hear II V lines in your playing.
    You have to practise the tune with 8'th- straight notes in arpeggio fasion for ex. and try some licks you like.
    Slow tempo is good for practising jazz patterns....after that try to play your own lines and patterns/last step/.
    Try to change tempo if you feel comfortable.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

And this is embarrassing, but here is with the backing track. The head and then one chorus of senseless noodling:
    Try to play with metromome and control your time.
    Use some 8th notes licks, patterens in your single line playing.
    This tune has a lot II V progressins and I can not hear any jazz line in your performance.
    Anway chord-melody sounds goods in free style.Guitar sounds good/1 version/.

User Info Menu

Your chord melody clearly shows you are NOT a newbie. I couldn't feel a "groove" in either of your products but the chord melody had a good choice of chord voicings and perhaps only needs a bit more work on your time. The improv (single line) perhaps would sound better if you stayed closer to the melody until your hear more interesting phrases to improvise with. Please continue working with us, newbies are very welcome here and hopefully you will get tips and suggestions from your musical peers that will prove to be very useful for you.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I am not a guitar newbie (I've played off and on in other styles for 20 years, primarily classical), but am most definitely a jazz newbie of a few months. I took Gary Burton's Coursera course earlier this year, and have since realized that while it was a starting point, it wasn't the best starting point for me. I already know scales, and the last thing my solos need are more scales.

The common theme seems to be my timing, and I wholeheartedly agree. It really shows the value of recording yourself -- I often have no idea how off things are until I hear myself played back. I will spend some time getting intimate with straight-8th notes.

pkirk -- Thanks for the suggestions. I actually found this one awkwardly slow, but still wasn't able to nail the changes!

kris -- I agree with your comments. The reason why you aren't hearing any jazz lines is because I don't really have any vocabulary yet, I was just trying to come up with simple melodic ideas. It's all I can do to avoid playing the phrygian repeatedly. Time to get transcribin'!

wiz -- Excellent suggestion to stick closer to the melody for the time being; my understanding is they are a source of a lot of jazz vocabulary anyway. Once I get into 'solo mode', often the melody goes completely out the window.

Thanks again, all. In the short time I've been on these forums, I've learned heaps. (And I appreciate the compliments on that chord-melody!)

User Info Menu

Like Jehu, I also voted for this tune, and also feel compelled to post something.

Here is a simple chord melody version of the tune. The introduction is the rarely heard Verse before the more familiar Refrain.

User Info Menu

Derek

That's nice. And you get an awesome tone out of that guitar (is is a heritage 575?)

User Info Menu

Here's a version I did with a couple guys a number of years ago. I like to think I've improved since then.
    Last edited by Jonathan0996; 08-31-2013 at 09:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I took a shot at it, but I could not get the backing track loud enough on my 1896 squirrel-powered computer, so I just did it blind (and deaf).

User Info Menu

First of all I would like to thank Wiz for these PS threads.

I guess that I am like most that read these threads; full of good intentions to learn the tunes but then life gets in the way.

With 3 young kids I certainly don't have as much time as I would like to have to play guitar (especially after just buying a new Ibanez AFJ85 and Vox AC15 amp).

I did learn the first section of I Remember You as a chord melody and tried to get my wife to sing it so that I could play backing.

I will make a real effort to learn Septembers tune.

All the recordings above are fun to watch and listen too. Well done all and keep them coming!!

Happy picking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Derek

That's nice. And you get an awesome tone out of that guitar (is is a heritage 575?)
    Thank you pkirk

Yes it is a Heritage H575, it dates from 1989. I replaced the pickups with a Racer/Progression combination from Wizard Pickups (UK). I also replaced the original TOM bridge with a rosewood bridge.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment.

Derek

User Info Menu

jseaberry, this is nice, I like really the counterpoint.

User Info Menu

Thank you, I work really hard on hearing different voices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jseaberry
    Thank you, I work really hard on hearing different voices.

Sometimes, they tell me strange thingssssssss......

User Info Menu

cookin' Jonathan! also good comping! You sound like an experienced ear player (meant to be a compliment) I would like to hear more!

wiz

User Info Menu

I like it jseaberry, BTW, I didn't know you were a lefty. I heard some nice voicings in your version. more please!

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 09-01-2013 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Wiz.

I've played some gigs where I was dragged offstage by the ear, so I guess that makes me an "ear" player. One of these days I'll get off my butt and post something that isn't 10 years old.