The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hello all, The poll winner for July is Donna Lee and below you will find 2 backing track versions of the song, One fast and one slow (for people like me). The backing tracks are: BIAB realtracks in a jazz trio style with a 4-bar intro and a standard ending. Have fun with this!

wiz

PDF file--->Box

Slow Backing Track--->Box

Fast Backing Track--->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thanks for the backing tracks wiz!

User Info Menu

You're more than welcome, have fun with them, AlanGM!

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    ... To put a historical perspective to it, Miles wrote this head over the changes to (Back Home Again In) Indiana, which is a classic standard from all the way back to "Dixieland" days.
    Donna Lee is a Charlie Parker head, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great version o bass solo! ...
    Jaco's version is classic - and what a debut! Comp along through his solo - he's playing some hip stuff. Note how he changes key to play the last head and out in E.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    sure "Donna Lee" is Charlie Parker head...:-)

User Info Menu

Jaco's version is classic - and what a debut! Comp along through his solo - he's playing some hip stuff. Note how he changes key to play the last head and out in E.
    I like this tempo and exelent feeling!

User Info Menu

No, Miles wrote it, but it was first recorded when he was in Charlie Parker's group and the copyright was assigned to Bird, so it's always been a source of confusion.

BTW, Donna Lee was bassist Curly Russell's daughter, who happened to be the bassist in Powell's Trio version of Indiana...

I've read that Donna Lee included every set of changes you would ever encounter in any classic bebop composition, making it the perfect tune to practice vocab over.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 07-27-2013 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

No, Miles wrote it, but it was first recorded when he was in Charlie Parker's group and the copyright was assigned to Bird, so it's always been a source of confusion ...
    Interesting.

Donna Lee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, I stand corrected.

User Info Menu

No, Miles wrote it, but it was first recorded when he was in Charlie Parker's group and the copyright was assigned to Bird, so it's always been a source of confusion.

BTW, Donna Lee was bassist Curly Russell's daughter, who happened to be the bassist in Powell's Trio version of Indiana...

I've read that Donna Lee included every set of changes you would ever encounter in any classic bebop composition, making it the perfect tune to practice vocab over.
    Interesting.
    The tune was also copyrighted under Parker's name.

User Info Menu

Interesting.
    The tune was also copyrighted under Parker's name.
    Bird is Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

Bird is Charlie Parker.
    Trane is John Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Donna Lee wasn't a great choice for a Practical Standard song, the head's too much work.

I'd suggest the following change to the rules:
    Display a list of who voted for the winning song and hope they will post a recording of the song.

Personally I think that Just voting and not posting a recording is ruining this thread.

Guy

User Info Menu

:--) young Parker and Miles played this tune....what is a problem?

User Info Menu

:--) young Parker and Miles played this tune....what is a problem?
    The problem is this: where are the posts of recordings from the people who voted for "Donna Lee".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    The problem is this: where are the posts of recordings from the people who voted for "Donna Lee".
    I'm working on it, hope to have it posted by December

User Info Menu

It has and always be the same Guy. People want tunes but don't want to post. Then when you do away with the poll guys MOAN they have no choice in the tune selection. Perhaps Wiz should nominate a member to host the next month and then let each host pick someone every month. Only players that post can be hosts..

User Info Menu

Donna Lee wasn't a great choice for a Practical Standard song, the head's too much work.
    You could play the original head (Back Home Again in Indiana), instead. It's much simpler, if that's your preference.

User Info Menu

Normally I would be posting my version of "Donna Lee" but my home studio is broken (audio interface has failed). I have ordered a new interface (M-Audio Track Plus) and will be able to record again when it arrives.
    I am also disappointed with the poor response for this song, but the problem is not new to me. The forum members who actually participate by posting their version of the selected song has never come close to equaling the number of votes in the poll. I have always assumed that many of the voters are interested in the analysis response as well as listening to their peers approach to the tune.

wiz

User Info Menu

You don't have to play it fast...Forget the head and just blow over the changes: at a moderate tempo the changes are standard bebop fare....

User Info Menu

The "Standards" thread has never been a showcase thread. There is nothing wrong with just posting one chorus of improv for example. It doesn't have to be note perfect, it's about learning how to, not just about doing it right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    The "Standards" thread has never been a showcase thread. There is nothing wrong with just posting one chorus of improv for example. It doesn't have to be note perfect, it's about learning how to, not just about doing it right.
    I suspect a lot of people download the backing tracks and lead sheets that Howie generously
    provides every month, so the thread is probably doing a lot of good even if we don't hear much evidence.

It's natural for participation to be somewhat low: some beginners are scared to put themselves out, a few are genuinely too tech-challenged to record themselves, some hate standards, others are more into the instruments than the music, some people who post as "authorities" on the forum don't play so well and dont want to be found out, etc.

But perhaps Donna Lee is too intimidating, explaining the no participation this month. In fact it's one of those "rite of passage" tunes that anyone serious about jazz has to go through. Hopefully a lot of people put some time in it, even if no one posted anything.

User Info Menu

well, since I'm the only one who posted, I'll just put out these little bits of analysis: the most important note when blowing on this tune is the 3rd of the Bb7 (D). If you can place this in the appropriate place, and flat it when the chord changes to Bbmi7, you'll sound like you know what you are doing. (Same trick applies in tons of other tunes with A dominant II changing to a minor II: eg "take the A train")

Another tip is to use Melodic or harmonic minor on the Fmi7 rather than sit on an Abmaj scale.

User Info Menu

Thx very much Pkirk for the analysis, and also for your previous post explaining
    some of your process/techniques utilizing the transcription. Very helpful, and as usual very nice playing.
    Last edited by srlank; 08-02-2013 at 09:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I recorded that a few months ago. Walkin' bass part could have been better.