Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hiya All, Our Poll winner for June is "Here's That Rainy Day". Below is a backing track from a BIAB real tracks trio style. It is 4 choruses with a simple 4 bar Intro and a tag ending. Have fun with this,

    wiz

    Backing Track----->https://www.box.com/s/hs46mxetbahynpsamket

    Lead Sheet------>https://www.box.com/s/qnaxwgdwqyqh0x1h3iva

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for putting this together!

    I'm curious about the tag ending in your arrangement. I thought a tag ending was generally the last 4 bars of the head repeated, and I see the melody has been repeated, but the chords have changed and there are two extra bars. Are the chord changes just a reharmonization? Is this an ending form we should know for the bandstand?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    What you describe for a tag is often used but IMHO, A tag ending is usually a singers'/lead instruments' choice of anything he/she chooses to resolve into an ending note. For the bandstand, especially when backing a singer, you need to be ready and supporting the singer with whatever they want to use for an ending.

    wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 06-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Ah, in minor like Paul Desmond did...

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Ok, so I've played this song for a long time, but I'm trying out a new arrangement with some key changes...it's pretty rough right now, but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at.

    for those keeping track, this will be SOTW #23... Running behind again....



    edit...posted a different take...
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-09-2013 at 05:38 PM.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    well-done Jeff! The originality of the reharmonization and the melody line are both represented and very enjoyable to listen to.

    wiz

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Nice, Jeff.

    Here's my contribution. I'm going to be away from the guitar until the end of the month, so this is not so well worked out. I did the head rubato (not enough time to understand my own arrangment) then I tacked on a couple choruses with Howie's backing track. The arrangement on the head consists of the chromatic maj3 riff you hear a few times, coupled with mostly unrelated chords with the right top note.


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Liked that a lot...some really cool movement below the melody in the intro. Tasty lines with the track too.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Really nice, pkirk! I love your cool lines on this one. Everything, (groove, tone, rhythm, articulation, choice of notes) sounds to me like it is in a good place. great performance!

    wiz

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    thanks for the compliments Jeff and Howie.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Nice, Jeff.

    Here's my contribution. I'm going to be away from the guitar until the end of the month, so this is not so well worked out. I did the head rubato (not enough time to understand my own arrangment) then I tacked on a couple choruses with Howie's backing track. The arrangement on the head consists of the chromatic maj3 riff you hear a few times, coupled with mostly unrelated chords with the right top note.

    I like your playing very much.
    Good feel and exelent sounding jazz guitar!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, so I've played this song for a long time, but I'm trying out a new arrangement with some key changes...it's pretty rough right now, but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at.

    for those keeping track, this will be SOTW #23... Running behind again....



    edit...posted a different take...
    Nice chordal movements, sounds improvised after stating the melody, I have to say that your child stole the show.
    Guy

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Nice, Jeff.

    Here's my contribution. I'm going to be away from the guitar until the end of the month, so this is not so well worked out. I did the head rubato (not enough time to understand my own arrangment) then I tacked on a couple choruses with Howie's backing track. The arrangement on the head consists of the chromatic maj3 riff you hear a few times, coupled with mostly unrelated chords with the right top note.

    Beautiful single line playing.
    Guy

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Nice chordal movements, sounds improvised after stating the melody, I have to say that your child stole the show.
    Guy
    Thanks! Yeah, pretty much all improvised after the melody...actually, improvising a bit then too.

    The little guy snuck in the room and did some great mugging for the camera...then he hugs my arm and runs back to mommy in the other room...he's a scene stealer, all right

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    The repost was really nice.
    You have the chord melody thing completely under control. Makes me want to go back to the woodshed.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The little guy snuck in the room and did some great mugging for the camera...then he hugs my arm and runs back to mommy in the other room...he's a scene stealer, all right
    I can't even remember when my kids were that small......I'd take that kind of distraction any day over the drunk guy who comes up while you are playing and asks you if you know any kenny G tunes.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    nice playing...really...

    It's been in my repertoire for some time now...

    Just straight ahead....med up tempo...single string improvisation....etc...

    do keep at it...

    time on the instrument...

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    thanks Guy and Kris. The key for me to improvising on this tune is nailing the correct (major or minor) 3rds on the F and Bb. One cool thing to do on this tune is to do a major II-V when heading to a minor chord and a minor II-V when heading to a major chord, adding to the surprise.

    If I'd known the tune better I would have addressed the Ab dim too.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Good one pkirk. Great sound, clean lines ... , Wiz said it all.
    And I agree with you about Jeff's playing, evethough I know he is not moderator any more.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    The repost was really nice.
    You have the chord melody thing completely under control. Makes me want to go back to the woodshed.



    I can't even remember when my kids were that small......I'd take that kind of distraction any day over the drunk guy who comes up while you are playing and asks you if you know any kenny G tunes.
    Thanks man, learning in a bubble kind of made this style a necessity...I'm too busy to play with other folks more than once or twice a month...so this style just developed out of really wanting to be able to make music myself...

    As for distractions, I don't even see Nolo as one...he's my toughest critic! Definitely better to get interrupted by him than the drunk at a gig (although on the southside of Chicago, it's always "My uncle Cologero is a great singer, can you play "It was a very good year?") To which my response is "I don't know that tune, but I bet Andrew Jackson could teach me."

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Wow, I wish I had that freedom on the instrument Jeff. I am very impressed. Great work. Hard earned freedom. they all sound really nice. I am busy working on other standards and solo pieces right now but I'll record something one of these days.

    Very inspiring you all,

    -a

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Great, I voted for this one!

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, so I've played this song for a long time, but I'm trying out a new arrangement with some key changes...it's pretty rough right now, but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at.
    Mr B, I really like your style, one day I'll be there! Watch out for the kid though! Mine's 20 and he takes my strat to University

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    We have many good responses for "Rainy Day". IMHO, this song is inspiring for improvisation possibilities because of the melody and chord structure. This is my input for the song, mostly by ear again. My assessment is probably too many notes but I have to go with what came out of my head. Some of it is pretty far outside of what I usually play, I hope some of you will enjoy it.

    https://www.box.com/s/m939d9ygr0cir01p9207

    wiz

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Nice contributions all! Wiz, I like your laid back approach to the song and excellent tone. Great song - Jimmy Van Heusen is definitely one of my favorite composers.

    As an aside, perhaps better asked in the gear section, but could you tell me what would be the correct BIABox system with Real Tracks to get for creating this type of accompaniment. I just love that option.

    Jay

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Hey wizard3739,

    Sounds really good sir. The only thing I am going to say about it is that after the first 3 minutes or so I felt that the solo wasn't going anywhere. Please do not take this the wrong way. Those kind of commentaries always sound harsh but believe me it is just an observation. Some really nice moments too. I'll give it another listen later on today.

    -a

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Very nice tone, Wiz!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Nice sounding guitar,Wiz.
    Thanks

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Great performances from all of you I follow with great interest and look forward to the day I can contribute!
    Back to practice!

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by trevorS
    Great performances from all of you I follow with great interest and look forward to the day I can contribute!
    Back to practice!
    LOL I agree with you Trevor. This thread is the best thing since pockets in t-shirts. Amazing contributions.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    We have many good responses for "Rainy Day". IMHO, this song is inspiring for improvisation possibilities because of the melody and chord structure. This is my input for the song, mostly by ear again. My assessment is probably too many notes but I have to go with what came out of my head. Some of it is pretty far outside of what I usually play, I hope some of you will enjoy it.

    https://www.box.com/s/m939d9ygr0cir01p9207

    wiz
    I thought that was awesome. I hope that I'm not out of line since I haven't posted on this (I hope to have some time to get into posting on this next month when work settles down a bit) but I thought that your note selection was great but would sound greater if there was a little more variety rhythmically-sounded like a lot of eighth notes in the improve. Otherwise I really liked that a lot.

    All of the contributions sounded really good. There are some great players here and it can be intimidating working oneself up to post something.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    I love Jimmy Van Heusen songs, but I think that incredible melody is one of the hardest to sing well. "Maybe I should have saved those left over dreams..." That first part is not easy to sing. Beautiful guitar work from everyone.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    I love Jimmy Van Heusen songs, but I think that incredible melody is one of the hardest to sing well. "Maybe I should have saved those left over dreams..." That first part is not easy to sing. Beautiful guitar work from everyone.
    My wife (Colleen Brown) sang this song at our weekend gig last Saturday and it was wonderful! Our audience (mostly retired folks) really loved it. I wish I would have recorded it.

    wiz

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Different chords I /ve used in my version.
    Best
    Kris
    Attached Images Attached Images

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Certainly far from perfect, but in the spirit of finally contributing to this thread, here we go!



    Wasn't familiar with this song, but really enjoyed playing and checking out the the lyrics. "Funny how love becomes a cold rainy day"

    Feedback appreciated

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cap rad
    Certainly far from perfect, but in the spirit of finally contributing to this thread, here we go!



    Wasn't familiar with this song, but really enjoyed playing and checking out the the lyrics. "Funny how love becomes a cold rainy day"

    Feedback appreciated
    Nice playing, the Hofner guitar sounds good, I have a Hofner John Stowell model. Playing with the thumb is difficult. One thing, I'd like to hear the chord tones outlined more in your solo.

    Enjoyed
    Guy

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Cap rad
    Nice Playing. In contrast to Guy, I do hear you addressing the chord tones, especially the min and maj 3rds. Sounds like jazz to me......


    The tone is pretty bad on my laptop speakers, I hear a pop whenever you dig in.
    Raise the camera angle next time, and go wolverines!....

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Guy, Cool. Nice groove. I should really practice octaves more, it is such a strong thing. There's this wierd thing living near Indianapolis, though, that you either have to totally give in to Wes or avoid him entirely. Whenever the big name guitarists play in indy they always overdo the octave thing.....

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Cap rad
    Nice Playing. In contrast to Guy, I do hear you addressing the chord tones, especially the min and maj 3rds. Sounds like jazz to me......


    The tone is pretty bad on my laptop speakers, I hear a pop whenever you dig in.
    Raise the camera angle next time, and go wolverines!....
    I also hear the pop and I didn't care much for the tone but I did enjoy many of the ideas for improv.

    wiz

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Hey guys, thanks for the comments! I'm definitely still working on finding the balance between outlining changes and having harmonic ideas that are a little less rigid.

    I'll try and record a little different next time. I've been messing around with this thumb business for a little while now and still have no idea what I'm doing. Definitely where the pop is coming from.

    Go blue! Cheers!