The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Hiya All, Our Poll winner for June is "Here's That Rainy Day". Below is a backing track from a BIAB real tracks trio style. It is 4 choruses with a simple 4 bar Intro and a tag ending. Have fun with this,

wiz

Backing Track----->Box

Lead Sheet------>Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for putting this together!

I'm curious about the tag ending in your arrangement. I thought a tag ending was generally the last 4 bars of the head repeated, and I see the melody has been repeated, but the chords have changed and there are two extra bars. Are the chord changes just a reharmonization? Is this an ending form we should know for the bandstand?

User Info Menu

What you describe for a tag is often used but IMHO, A tag ending is usually a singers'/lead instruments' choice of anything he/she chooses to resolve into an ending note. For the bandstand, especially when backing a singer, you need to be ready and supporting the singer with whatever they want to use for an ending.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 06-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah, in minor like Paul Desmond did...

User Info Menu

Ok, so I've played this song for a long time, but I'm trying out a new arrangement with some key changes...it's pretty rough right now, but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at.

for those keeping track, this will be SOTW #23... Running behind again....

edit...posted a different take...
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-09-2013 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

well-done Jeff! The originality of the reharmonization and the melody line are both represented and very enjoyable to listen to.

wiz

User Info Menu

Nice, Jeff.

Here's my contribution. I'm going to be away from the guitar until the end of the month, so this is not so well worked out. I did the head rubato (not enough time to understand my own arrangment) then I tacked on a couple choruses with Howie's backing track. The arrangement on the head consists of the chromatic maj3 riff you hear a few times, coupled with mostly unrelated chords with the right top note.

User Info Menu

Liked that a lot...some really cool movement below the melody in the intro. Tasty lines with the track too.

User Info Menu

Really nice, pkirk! I love your cool lines on this one. Everything, (groove, tone, rhythm, articulation, choice of notes) sounds to me like it is in a good place. great performance!

wiz

User Info Menu

thanks for the compliments Jeff and Howie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Nice, Jeff.

Here's my contribution. I'm going to be away from the guitar until the end of the month, so this is not so well worked out. I did the head rubato (not enough time to understand my own arrangment) then I tacked on a couple choruses with Howie's backing track. The arrangement on the head consists of the chromatic maj3 riff you hear a few times, coupled with mostly unrelated chords with the right top note.

I like your playing very much.
    Good feel and exelent sounding jazz guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, so I've played this song for a long time, but I'm trying out a new arrangement with some key changes...it's pretty rough right now, but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at.

for those keeping track, this will be SOTW #23... Running behind again....

edit...posted a different take...
    Nice chordal movements, sounds improvised after stating the melody, I have to say that your child stole the show.
    Guy

User Info Menu

Nice, Jeff.

Beautiful single line playing.
    Guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Nice chordal movements, sounds improvised after stating the melody, I have to say that your child stole the show.
    Guy
    Thanks! Yeah, pretty much all improvised after the melody...actually, improvising a bit then too.

The little guy snuck in the room and did some great mugging for the camera...then he hugs my arm and runs back to mommy in the other room...he's a scene stealer, all right

User Info Menu

The repost was really nice.
    You have the chord melody thing completely under control. Makes me want to go back to the woodshed.

The little guy snuck in the room and did some great mugging for the camera...then he hugs my arm and runs back to mommy in the other room...he's a scene stealer, all right
    I can't even remember when my kids were that small......I'd take that kind of distraction any day over the drunk guy who comes up while you are playing and asks you if you know any kenny G tunes.

User Info Menu

nice playing...really...

It's been in my repertoire for some time now...

Just straight ahead....med up tempo...single string improvisation....etc...

do keep at it...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

thanks Guy and Kris. The key for me to improvising on this tune is nailing the correct (major or minor) 3rds on the F and Bb. One cool thing to do on this tune is to do a major II-V when heading to a minor chord and a minor II-V when heading to a major chord, adding to the surprise.

If I'd known the tune better I would have addressed the Ab dim too.

User Info Menu

Good one pkirk. Great sound, clean lines ... , Wiz said it all.
    And I agree with you about Jeff's playing, evethough I know he is not moderator any more.

User Info Menu

The repost was really nice.
    You have the chord melody thing completely under control. Makes me want to go back to the woodshed.

I can't even remember when my kids were that small......I'd take that kind of distraction any day over the drunk guy who comes up while you are playing and asks you if you know any kenny G tunes.
    Thanks man, learning in a bubble kind of made this style a necessity...I'm too busy to play with other folks more than once or twice a month...so this style just developed out of really wanting to be able to make music myself...

As for distractions, I don't even see Nolo as one...he's my toughest critic! Definitely better to get interrupted by him than the drunk at a gig (although on the southside of Chicago, it's always "My uncle Cologero is a great singer, can you play "It was a very good year?") To which my response is "I don't know that tune, but I bet Andrew Jackson could teach me."

User Info Menu

Wow, I wish I had that freedom on the instrument Jeff. I am very impressed. Great work. Hard earned freedom. they all sound really nice. I am busy working on other standards and solo pieces right now but I'll record something one of these days.

Very inspiring you all,

-a

User Info Menu

Great, I voted for this one!

Mr B, I really like your style, one day I'll be there! Watch out for the kid though! Mine's 20 and he takes my strat to University

User Info Menu

We have many good responses for "Rainy Day". IMHO, this song is inspiring for improvisation possibilities because of the melody and chord structure. This is my input for the song, mostly by ear again. My assessment is probably too many notes but I have to go with what came out of my head. Some of it is pretty far outside of what I usually play, I hope some of you will enjoy it.

https://www.box.com/s/m939d9ygr0cir01p9207

wiz

User Info Menu

Nice contributions all! Wiz, I like your laid back approach to the song and excellent tone. Great song - Jimmy Van Heusen is definitely one of my favorite composers.

As an aside, perhaps better asked in the gear section, but could you tell me what would be the correct BIABox system with Real Tracks to get for creating this type of accompaniment. I just love that option.

Jay

User Info Menu

Hey wizard3739,

Sounds really good sir. The only thing I am going to say about it is that after the first 3 minutes or so I felt that the solo wasn't going anywhere. Please do not take this the wrong way. Those kind of commentaries always sound harsh but believe me it is just an observation. Some really nice moments too. I'll give it another listen later on today.

-a

User Info Menu

Very nice tone, Wiz!