The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

This is the lesson we are talking about here:

Stella By Starlight - Chord Melody Arrangement For Guitar + Analysis

Share your tips for playing in a guitar trio.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

VERY nice!

I really like being able to watch you play in these video lessons. One of the striking things about watching you (and other highly accomplished jazzers) is how EASY you make it look. You're just relaxed and breezing right through it - no rushing anywhere. You have time to think and all the time in the world to get where you are heading.

Mastery. Yeah... that's the ticket.

Thank you.

User Info Menu

Hey dirk, just got the lesson for Stella. I agree that you make it look easy. Being able to switch between single lines and chords during the song so smoothly is something I am currently working on.

I have a tough time with this as I am either thinking chords, or solo ideas. Thanks for a fine example of playing them both so fluidly. I want to hear you go thru it again soloing off the melody.

I guess that would be another vid. Thanks again for this stuff.

User Info Menu

That was nice! I am curious what guitar you are playing in that video though? It's a nice looking guitar.

User Info Menu

If I am not mistaken, that was a Gibson L4, which is just like an ES 175, except it has a solid wood top rather than a laminate like on the 175.

User Info Menu

Hey
    I just have a question and would be glad if someone could help me find the answer. For how long will I be able to find the stella video on this site? Is there any posibility to download the video to my hard drive?
    Great vid by the way!

User Info Menu

Hi Dirk. Great job! What you do in comparison to other tutorial video-makers is not overwhelming us poor disciples with virtuosity but you make us (me for a start) pick up the instrument and start working on it! Instead of 'OMG I'll never get there!" your videos bring up toughts like 'Hmm, this is worth trying!'. So thanks and ... go on like that!
    I have the full legal version of BiaB for Mac but it did not recognize the 'Style' you used for Stella (J SONCE.STY). Can I get it somewhere?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirkji
    This is the lesson we are talking about here: Stella by Starlight
    Share your tips for playing in a guitar trio.
    Hi dirkji I haven't yet experienced playing in a trio yet but i'm working and studing very hard till that day comes, and when it does i'll still practice very hard, but I have heard trio play in our local clubs in Boston MA. the guitar players doe's have a lot of playing to do the band consists of stand up bass drums and guitar, simple, and sweet,I really enjoy when each musician gets a chance to solo for a few minutes, and then the musics go right back to the song,I do agree with you in what you said about getting away from the original song and start soloing on other feelings from the music , but it's being done,by some musician very well thanks for any follow up on this thread Aaron

User Info Menu

Dirk very tasty version of Stella! Were you using a pick and your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers? Or just the pick and 2nd & 3rd fingers?

I find a good way to practice with just bass and drums is to play line for one measure and then chords for one measure. Then maybe a line for two measures and comp for one and so forth.
    BillK
    California

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind feedback guys!

Gravytrain, Derek: I'm playing an Ibanez Super 70s (35 years old) through a Roland Jazz Chorus. It's a copy of a Gibson L5.

Martin: The video will be there for eternity :-)

Jan: See mail

Billk: I think I'm using the 4th finger as well in some places.

User Info Menu

Old lawsuit Ibanez? Pretty cool. I thought it was a 16" lower bout. Nice sound.

User Info Menu

Very usefull lesson. You play it so easy!
    I need more stuff!!
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video - great arrangement.
    It's not that easy, it took me 4 hours of hard sweat before i finally could play the entire song.
    Keep them coming
    Regards
    Alain
    Gent Belgium

User Info Menu

Thanks for the lesson. This has rejuvinated my desire to learn more on this style of playing.

User Info Menu

Any tips on how to improvise over these changes? Fairly confident with single note soloing, but not chord/melody style.

User Info Menu

I hadn't heard this song before and love the changes and melody. The arrangment is very nice too.

This is the type of song that can be played for years and still find something new in/through it.

Thanks for shareing.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what style Dirk uses in BB to get that swingin' sound? I downloaded the Stella SGU file which has all the chords but it's using a different style that has nothing to do with jazz. I like the one Dirk uses.

Any help appreciated.

BB looks really old development-wise and could really use a new face lift for getting around and using it's features I think.

User Info Menu

I will soon post my reharmonization of Stella BS, which is extremely cool!

User Info Menu

I'll be watching for it

User Info Menu

could you send the 'Style' you used for Stella (J SONCE.STY)? Thanks in advance! and yes, motivating lesson for jazz beginners :-)

User Info Menu

Hi, very nice video and a great lesson.

I'm also having the same problem with locating the correct style. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

All the best,

Nick.

User Info Menu

thanks for this lesson
    great video

Steph - France

User Info Menu

Bravo!!

I really enjoyed it.....very good feeling.

Why you do not create another sweet arrangement for ESTATE of Bruno Martino?

User Info Menu

That's great!
    Thanks

User Info Menu

dirkji, I just got done listening to your "Stella by Starlight". It was so wonderful. As a beginner I can only dream about playing like that. Thanks so much.

mississippi