The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

The poll winner for May is "Angel Eyes". Below is a BIAB real tracks backing track and a PDF lead sheet. Have fun with this song!

wiz

Lead sheet---->https://www.box.com/s/287yhotqubjaoofmob73

Backing Track---->Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-06-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: error

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

one of my favorite slow ballads...

I play it ala Kenny Burrell...slow and bluesy....MM=40-50....

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard

Hey PR: post your version. This series needs more participants.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard

I usually play is slow and bluesy too, but my bass player wanted to do it in double time. Here's a first take, I just played it down, warts and all, tossed in my few blues licks, rather than put any effort into an arrangement like I did the last few months. I may work up something, but let's see if Vladan likes this approach better than my last offering...

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

Your turn guys.

User Info Menu

Very nice groove, Pkirk, well done with some tasty lines and good technique. I enjoyed listening to it and especially liked your chord voicings. I have gigs to take care of so I will post something this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

wiz

User Info Menu

PKirk,

I liked what you wrote in your post, but won't be able to listen to it before late tonight.

In the meantime, just for laughters, feel free to choose a comment from below (I can not listen, so I don't know what they are saying, but something should fit ...):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I usually play is slow and bluesy too, but my bass player wanted to do it in double time. Here's a first take, I just played it down, warts and all, tossed in my few blues licks, rather than put any effort into an arrangement like I did the last few months. I may work up something, but let's see if Vladan likes this approach better than my last offering...

Your turn guys.
    "Angel eyes" is a tune I always really liked. I also hear it mainly as a blues and tend to play not too complicated over it (.... not that I could play complicated over anything :-)). I really liked your sound, your phrasing and your general approach to this tune. The interplay between the guitar and the bass is very interesting and makes for a very lifely and pleasant listening experience. Very well done and a pleasure to listen to!

User Info Menu

Hi Pkirk,

Really nice version of'Angel Eyes,' and I gotta say that I really enjoyed all the cool counterpoint on 'I Should Care' as well. Reminded me of a cross between Jimmy Wyble and Monk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    Hi Pkirk,

Really nice version of'Angel Eyes,' and I gotta say that I really enjoyed all the cool counterpoint on 'I Should Care' as well. Reminded me of a cross between Jimmy Wyble and Monk.
    Wyble is great, isnt he? He definitely needs to be better known: He got a start as a western swing guy, but his 2-line improv book

Art of Two-Line Improvisation Book/CD Set: Jimmy Wyble: 9780786645251: Amazon.com: Books

is definitely way out there "polyphonically" and is a great source of ideas for modern jazz guitar.

This recording of his "etudes for classical guitar"

Jimmy Wyble - Etudes - Interpretations For Classical Guitar - Amoeba Music

captures the vibe in that book.

User Info Menu

Thx very much Pkirk! I have the book, but not the album. Just incredibly inspiring music!

User Info Menu

Pkirk, Soundclick's at 3:10 at the moment, butI cant remove smile from my face, so, I write before it ended, but keep listening, knowing it can't go wrong. It's so good, I could even say I liked the Bass solo, too, and not strech too much.

Ok, it's on 6:45 now, time to post.

And,

The End

User Info Menu

thanks Vladan. I'm looking forward to your contribution. And everyone else.

User Info Menu

I usually play is slow and bluesy too, but my bass player wanted to do it in double time. Here's a first take

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - Angel Eyes
    Top quality playing, very impressive, nice and laid back.
    Guy

User Info Menu

Your turn guys.
    Very good sounding jazz box.
    Good feel and playing.
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

I'll throw one in there...here's my take (I'm also making this one my song of the week)

great tune...very bluesy...pretty straightforward...I like the implications of a tonic minor chord in this setting...lots of possibilities...

User Info Menu

jeff: nice.

User Info Menu

Thanks pkirk. These vids have been rough...having only a week to work on a tune is tough...but it gives me a pretty good picture of tunes I'll keep around and tunes I won't...Angel Eyes is a keeper.

by the way, I really like the little rhythmic motif things you set up in your version during the solo. Very cool.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 05-11-2013 at 11:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thanks pkirk. These vids have been rough...having only a week to work on a tune is tough...but it gives me a pretty good picture of tunes I'll keep around and tunes I won't...Angel Eyes is a keeper.

by the way, I really like the little rhythmic motif things you set up in your version during the solo. Very cool.
    a week is not enough for me to permanently commit a tune to memory at my age (52) if I just use my usual bag of tricks. But I find that if i put a little effort into a chord melody arrangement the tune sticks better.

User Info Menu

I'll throw one in there...here's my take (I'm also making this one my song of the week)

great tune...very bluesy...pretty straightforward...I like the implications of a tonic minor chord in this setting...lots of possibilities...

Nice playing!
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

Good playing Kris. Mr.B that's a nice arrangement and good chord melody playing.

I'm waiting for Reg's analysis.
    Guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Good playing Kris. Mr.B that's a nice arrangement and good chord melody playing.

I'm waiting for Reg's analysis.
    Guy
    Thanks
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Mr. B.,

Finally I got to listen to your entry. For a while I thought, hey, this is similar to how I hear it, occsionally, I just don't have the technique, but then, of course, it got to the place where I could not follow any more. For "polyphonic solo guitar", you're the man, as far as I'm concerned.

User Info Menu

Ok, here's mine.

On 3rd chorus I change the rhythm. On rehearsal I played more "licks" with E natural, but somehow it did not come to fingers on recording. Also, I forgot to play some other licks I tried while practicing, and another 'also", after recording 2 rhythm guitars, I realized I did them on bridge PU, one that's really bad.

All guitar parts played on Squier Tele, including wooshy Synth patch in the center (via Roland GK3 pick up).

Bass was generated by BIAB, then edited to fit my groove, aswell as strings on the left (barely audiable) and guitar on the right (even less audiable).

User Info Menu

Great Playing. I play this all the time it's one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Hey Vladan

Nicely done. I like the various layers. The tune plays itself, doesn't it? It lends itself well to bluesy playing.

I enjoyed the Belgrade drive, although I think you went over the speed limit at 3:21 and you almost hit that streetcar at :43. I hope you yelled at that taxi driver at 1:30, that guy is a jerk ;-)