The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Some great rhythmic lines, and as always, your sense of groove is superb.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Guy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just for reference... Here are embellished changes for What's New
    Attached Images Attached Images April 2016 - I Should Care/What's New-whats-new-jpg 
    Last edited by Reg; 04-30-2013 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice, interesting changes Reg, I will give them a try.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hwy Wiz...

Thanks, who knows, they're somewhat more modern. If I played through the tune again, would probably be completely different. I was watching the Warriors basketball game while noodling through tune.

I always dig Lydian / Dorian relationships and where they can develop.

Kind of surprised more don't post examples of playing through tunes.

Thanks again
    Reg

Maybe we should pick some more modern tunes to pull from, might get more players to post? Beside yourself only,
    Taurusgyr
    pkirk
    GuyBoden

posted samples, they were great, but would be cool to have more.

Some possible tunes...

Scofield's...Big J or I'll Catch You
    J Henderson's...Recordame, The Kicker or Punjab
    Wes...Movin' Along, Leila or Jingles
    Silver's...Liberated Brother, Juicy Lucy
    C Walton's...Clockwize or Bolivia
    H Mobley's..Funk in Deep Freeze
    Monk's ...Hackensack
    Zawinuli's...Midnight Mood

Just some thoughts...

Reg

User Info Menu

Reg and wiz

I'm up for anything. I'm using the "practical standards" as a tool to learn new tunes, or if I already know them, to try different things with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Maybe we should pick some more modern tunes to pull from, might get more players to post?
    Good idea Reg, it would be interesting to know why there's not more members posting.
    Guy

User Info Menu

I've committed myself to my 52 week songs thing...sorry I haven't been able to get in on more of these...it's tough finding the time to make one video a week...I'll try to get a take on next month...

I would like to see some more modern stuff though...there's newer "standards."

User Info Menu

So maybe wait and see if more members reply. In the end I don't care that much, I play too much already.

The Best of Sher is good collection of standards, I'll post the index.

I also play out of Sher's The All-Jazz real book, good collection of different tunes along with Sher's The European real book... nice for non states view of jazz tunes. You can go online at Sher site and see indexes and either listen to recorded versions of selected tunes or the version of recording chart is from is listed with links to artist.

I don't think we'll get less players joining in.

Reg
    Attached Images Attached Images April 2016 - I Should Care/What's New-sher-standards1-jpg April 2016 - I Should Care/What's New-sher-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, I put your suggested tunes on my selection list. I'm not familiar with a couple of them so t the his will be another good learning experience.
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-30-2013 at 10:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Howie
    thanks for posting. One of the things you did a couple times (I think intuitively, but it sounded good) that I liked was anticipate the changes, eg go to the Bbmi before the bar of Cmaj is over, so create tension that resolves when the harmony catches up. It's a trick that lots of people dont use that much: many intermediate players (me included) try to keep their improv exactly lined up with the changes. But anticipating (or delaying) the harmony in your lines is a simple way to create and release tension.

One way to practice this is to use to practice this is to reharmonize 4 bars of 4/4 (say with one chord per bar) as 3 bars of 3/4 and one bar of 7/4 in my solo (so 3+3+3+7=16=4x4), while the backing track plays the usual one chord per bar. SO you get to the last chord before the band. ANother version is to do 2 bars of 5/4 and then 2 bars of 3/4 (so 5+5+3+3=16=4x4)

I recorded one or two takes myself of this tune, but never liked what came out. It's a deceptively hard tune. The changes are easy, but it is hard to keep from just running changes, especially since the bridge is the same as the A section (except for the min at the end of the bridge), and so the bridge doesnt really give a break from the A section beyond just the modulation.
    Last edited by pkirk; 05-01-2013 at 07:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you Pkirk, for the nice analytic thinking about my "ear" approach. You probably noticed I kept referring back to the melody. I prefer to improvise around the melody line rather than the changes because that approach allows me to play what is in my head without much thought.

wiz

User Info Menu

I've just listened through all the posts (I've listened to some already, weeks ago, but could not return till now0.

All good. Bluesier and moodier the better.

- in Reg's version of What's new, I heard things I like to hear at G. Benson + analysis = Yeah.
    - Wiz, man, at one moment I thought you'll continue to smoke away, but you showed class and went back to what it really is.
    - Guy is always on a (re)search path, you can never get borred with his versions + the gestalt provided by video and messages.

- I should care, I really liked the Wiz's Ballad version. People often forget Jazz is vocal music, too.
    - PKirk, serious attempt, really good, not my cup of tea, but cudos to you. European Classic "undertone", I can take as a spice only, or a quote.
    - Taurusgtr, similar to previous comment, I believe it's good and everything, recording environment prevent from full enjoyment, but the very moment I hear a speck of Manouche, I don't want to listen to it any more. Blame is on me. I'm of those odballs prefering Django on Stratocaster, or whatever he played, Jaguar maybe, I don't know really.

Hopefully, I've mentioned them all.

Sorry I could not join you past month, but may be I could join for May. No promisses.

BTW, I made my version of Billy's Bounce, f you find some time, you can listen to it either on my Youtube channel, or in Showcase part of this forum.