The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Since we had a tie for first place in thle April poll, we have two good songs to work on for April. Here are a couple of backing tracks to start things going. Use either one or both if you like for the April selection. Both are Made from BIAB realtracks, have a 4 bar intro and 3 choruses to play with.

Have fun!

wiz

I should Care backing track.---->Box

I should care PDF lead sheet---->Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie.

User Info Menu

OK... so here is how I might look at What's New. Pretty standard analysis with basic references...

I didn't post a playing version of tune... I will, I'll try and get a clip from some gig I play this week. It's a cool tune, should be able to talk someone into videoing ...

This is pretty typical target approach tune with Relative and Parallel concepts of harmonic organization.

Check out the vid and if I need to clear anything up just ask... I know. I talk too fast and expect everyone too know way too much already... so please ask...

Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, I agree with you, it is a good analysis with a typical AABA format with C Maj to Cmi (Eb) for the "A" sections and repeated in FMaj for the "B" (bridge). I tend to use it as a groovy ballad as it offers good, expressive improv opportunities, perhaps fertile ground for melodic minor sounds. Thanks again Reg.

wiz

User Info Menu

Wow nice explanation, I learned something. Thanks Reg!
    Last edited by Bigmagic; 04-08-2013 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a vanilla analysis...

Cmaj7...(A-7).../ Bb-7....Eb7..../ Abmaj7........../D-7b5.... G7alt...
    Imaj7....VI-7.../ II-V7/ bVImaj7 / bVImaj7........./ II-7b5 V7alt...

C-.... C-/Bb..../Abmaj7...G7alt../ C6.... A-7....../ D-7..../ G7....
    I-7....I-/bVII.../bVImaj7..V7alt../ I6.....VI-7....../ II-7..../ V7... //

This is how a jazz player might look at tune... If he has classical background, he might use classical analysis, because that's what he's comfortable with. I am comfortable with both... but when playing and talking about jazz... I use jazz analysis and nomenclature.

I know Abmaj7 is typically from "C" Parallel Minor. Just as I know A-7 is VI- in key of C. I don't need to have perfect analysis for one specific version of the tune... I want to also leave possibilities open...I really didn't need to notate the G7alt... they would be implied or heard...as tune unfolds.

I use all large case... because, with jazz usage of modal interchange... I'm really just implying root motion and basic starting harmonic references... Basic chord with relationship to Diatonic context. I'm not implying a specific Key... as with traditional practice.

User Info Menu

I tried something different this month. Inspired by seeing Peter Mazza last weekend, I did a head arrangement of "I should care" in an attempt at imitating him. In fingerstyle, which I dont do enough of anyway. What I tried to do is keep a moving bass line in straight 8ths under the melody, mingled with some reharm and pattern stuff. I have trouble playing it, so I stopped when I got a decent take, and didn't do an improv chorus.

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

User Info Menu

nice arrangement Pkirk, I enjoyed listening to your fingerstyle approach.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    nice arrangement Pkirk, I enjoyed listening to your fingerstyle approach.

wiz
    thanks wiz. are you going to post one?

User Info Menu

Yes, I will post one but it will have to be an old one, my recording system is temporarily down.

wiz

User Info Menu

This is an old version Colleen & I worked on for a gig a few months ago. We both really like this song, this practice version was recorded in my home studio, We hope you like it. My recording system wil be back up in a couple of days and I will try to put something together for "What's New".

wiz

https://www.box.com/s/af0yh0rp0r4dxshpslyq

User Info Menu

Hey wiz. Sounds real good. I'm curious how you did this. It's a BIAB backing track? did you do the comping? Also, I suspect the singer (your wife?) recorded the track at the same time as you recorded the guitar, or did you add the guitar later? I like how you fill in between her phrases. And on your solos, I like the feel on 8th note triplets things you throw every now and then. Do more of that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Hey wiz. Sounds real good. I'm curious how you did this. It's a BIAB backing track? did you do the comping? Also, I suspect the singer (your wife?) recorded the track at the same time as you recorded the guitar, or did you add the guitar later? I like how you fill in between her phrases. And on your solos, I like the feel on 8th note triplets things you throw every now and then. Do more of that!
    Thank you pkirk! This is a BIAB backing track that uses a guitar trio for comping and I added the guitar improv track later. I'm still trying to learn how to get a good, clean recording. Thanks to FEP, I am learning to use the Reaper program with an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra to inteface with the computer. As for filling in between her phrases, we have been working together for so many years I usually know what she is going to do before she does it. As you may have noticed, My improv is mostly by ear and comes out pretty close to what we do for a live performance. My recording system is working again so I will be working on "Whats New" for a while.

User Info Menu

Wiz, I enjoyed it very much, something about a Jazz ballad strikes a note with me anyway. You and your wife sound very good. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Great job , Guy! I liked your rhythmic approach and the good tone. Very nice video, Graphene looks really important, I've been following its' progress on the stock market.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hi everyone! It would appear as if people are interested in hearing a version of I should care....
    Well here's mine complete w email notification around one min. Recorded on unplugged electric gtr into mobile phone soundcloud app. Hope u like it.

User Info Menu

Guy
    Thanks for sharing. Nice swinging use of octaves on the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by taurusgtr
    Hi everyone! It would appear as if people are interested in hearing a version of I should care....
    Well here's mine complete w email notification around one min. Recorded on unplugged electric gtr into mobile phone soundcloud app. Hope u like it.
    Taurusgtr: I liked this. Can you make a less "lo-fi" (otherwise known as hifi ;-) ) one? or at least use an amp? I bet it would sound pretty good. I want to hear some of your voicings more clearly.

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening pkirk! I'll try to plug in next time. Most times I don't in order to be more considerate of my neighbors....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by taurusgtr
    Thanks for listening pkirk! I'll try to plug in next time. Most times I don't in order to be more considerate of my neighbors....
    I checked out Juju on your soundcloud page: burning!

User Info Menu

Thank u!

User Info Menu

Hey PKirk
    I really enjoyed listening to u on your sound cloud page this am! I thought at first it might have been softly as in a morning sunrise but was a great original tune instead! Plus the blood count was awesome! The comping was cool and really subtle. I thought it was a piano at first! I actually thought it was like 50's jazz bootleg or something initially! That track was real nice! And the Potter tune Train was cool too! Nice solo on that one w some cool outside notes. Thats a GREAT band u got there! I can only imagine, this " bears" gig must be a BLAST!
    BE WELL

User Info Menu

thanks Taurus. It is "softly": the bass states the melody.

the quintet stuff is a band I get together (and put the book together for) whenever I get a pure jazz gig, which for me is about 3 times a year. The bass player is the Jazz bass professor (jeremy allen) and the sax player is the jazz saxophone professor (tom walsh) at Indiana university. The drummer Ben Lumsdaine is incredible, but he is leaving town in a few weeks (and leaving a huge hole behind) and the trumpet player kyle quass is a friend of mine who has studied with several contemporary classical composers and I do other projects with him. I dont know why these guys play with me....

If you are interested, check out a CD I made with a great group a few years ago, you can stream it here:
    Watercourse Records: (x)tet

User Info Menu

That's some nice stuff! Just listened to Cherrywood... I'm gonna listen more later.

User Info Menu

Some cool versions... of tunes. Would dig seeing more... Anyway, I used BIAB and made a version of Whats New...

Took me way to much time... then played through tune in like 5 or 6 min. A little sloppy, sorry... the changes are similar but used a little modal interchange etc... If i ever play through again, might find something.