The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Sorry for a long post, but I have nothing else to do at the moment.
    (Jazzy part is after 2:20 in the video)

First to say, I've never heard this song before this thread. I've entered search on Youtube, the first result was Ray Charles. It had no resemblence to PDF and mp3 provided by Wizard, as far as I'm concerned. The next hit was some girl from a talent show, not worth further word on it.

So, I decided to stick to the letter, but being rather ignorant in reading music, I could not make much sense of PDF either.

I went to that mp3 (it's tempo is 85bpm, while on PDF it says 90). I could do quite a lot of dmin related soloing over it, but was not satisfied, at all.

What could I do? I said to my self, "Let's do it as if I've came up with this melody, how would I harmonize it for my pop/ rock band?". That idea yelded the first part of a recording.

First thingd first. Tempo. I made it 120bpm. At 85 I could play comfortable 16ths. At 120 I have to take care about 8ths, but I like it better, still.

Intro - I won't explain, you'll hear it, all I can say it's quite close to the letter of the mentioned PDF fie.
    - Chords in 1st 4 bars could be heard as similar to "Sitting on a dock...",
    - then it goes into something pop, I think,
    - then the kind of "response" part of a rock/ blues (from IV) with new wave turnarround,
    - ther's repetition with that G E7 A7 D7 part Reg mentioned (actually he said A-, but close enough) for second 4 bars. I promiss I did it before I heard his analysis.
    - For the end it's new wave again, at least that's how I see it.
    There are two choruses of it, one with melody as I read it, the other is a solo, with a quote from a local children song "A crow yelled, jumping in a field..."

After I finaly understood the song, in a way, I got back to PDF, and tried to figure grips that would hold to the letter, but be such to suit the song as if it wasn't a cover, but my own. I came up with something not really chord melody like, but I think it can stand on it's own. Ther's one bar of Satisfaction quote, but it's still really really close to the letter of PDF file.
    There are 3 choruses. The 1st is just chords. The 2nd is with melody over it. The 3rd is with some soloing. I 'm not really satisfied with that solo, i think there are some false notes, but hey, I'll call them "out" and close crticist's mouths.

And here's the redcording:
    Last edited by Vladan; 02-25-2013 at 10:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

IMHO, what it sounded like to me was a rock player trying to play an old standard in a rock style with distortion. If that style was your intent, you did it OK, but if your intent was jazz, it didn't work. As a suggestion, you could spend more time listening to the same song played by some of the old jazz masters to get the feel and rhythm for a jazz sound. I hope these comments are helpful to you.

wiz

User Info Menu

Did you listen after 2:20? It's explained above. There are 2 completely different versions. Even in distorted version, solo in the second chorus, is not distorted, and may sound jazzy to some ears.
    Last edited by Vladan; 02-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.

User Info Menu

@Vladan

Somewhat along the lines of wiz's post, I think the important thing is whether it worked for you. It did not work well for me, and I will try to be clear about why.

When I hear an instrumental rendition of a standard, I always have the lyrics in mind as well as the general emotional tone of the tune. So ask myself "Does the instrumental treatment support the lyrics and emotional tone of the tune?" Based on my personal background and listening experience, the straight eighths and general rockabilly feel until about 2:30 were more out-of-place than I was willing to accept. The distortion per se did not bother me as much, but it did not add anything either.

Other than that, and somewhat on the positive side, I noticed an interesting change of treatment at about 2:30 and another change at about 4:30. I still did not relate these styles to Come Rain or Come Shine, but they were more interesting to me in their own right than the beginning.

Finally, please remember that this post is as much about my tastes and what I am open to accepting as it is about your playing, and of course, I hope it helps.

User Info Menu

I actually liked the rock treatment...but those unison bends gotta be a little more in tune for my ears.

User Info Menu

Spoon, I understand you. You can read in my post why is it so.

Mr B., I guess you mean at the very begining? If so, that's leftover of a earsed take that accidentaly managed into final version, but sounded to cool to remove it. In the old days when tape multitrack was a norm, it happened quite frequently. I agree it should be played bette for real recording, but again, this is just kind of "pay attention" trick.

User Info Menu

hey Vladan...

The style might not be my thing... but I kept listening, I was very interested to see where you were going, musically and with vid. Generally I can tell where somethings going in a few bars...

It seem to work, looks and sounds like a lot of time put into project.

The 2nd version... you do well with implying harmony with your improve.

So sounds like you don't read well and you don't know many jazz standards... yet you still post example of monthly tune. Gots to give you a lot of credit... keep it up. Is there anything you want me to listen for?

Both you and Guy put out very cool finished products, again keep it up...

Reg

User Info Menu

First to say, Thank you Reg.

You are just about right - I do not know any jazz standards. Except, about 2 weeks ago I made my rendition of My Funny Valentine, it's there in Showcase, aswell as on my Youtube channel. It's the only video where you can actually see me playing. If you happen to arrive there, maybe you could take some time to read notes about the process.
    I did veresions of "I can't help falling in love with you" and "L'ete indienne", it's not jazz but there is some resemblance.
    I covered some local pop rock songs, aswell as Roxy Music and The Beatless, all in versions very far away from originals.
    It's all there on my channel.

My goal is not to learn too many standards, but to improve knoweledge and grasp the way Jazzers think and work, so I could apply it to my own thing. However, learning an odd standard, or few, along the way may grow from practical bonus into affection, one can never know.

I took this song to see if I can do it, how long it will take me, ... Funny Valentine was much easier, becasuse I knew the tune, so I could relate to various versions. This one, I've never heard before in my 45yr life, believe it or not.

Re Jazz standards, my general itention is to do Summertime, Don't blame me, Armando's Rhumba, Black Orpheus, maybe Blue Moon and Autumn Leaves (but those last two are "very very maybe"). Cantaloope, and that other groovy one, I can't recall the title of right now. Maybe even Birdland.

I think I'll do Crazy Fingers from Gratefull Dead, too.

I'll see wher it all will lead me.
    Last edited by Vladan; 02-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Vladan... cool, I checked out your channel, nice.

Keep us informed of where your going etc... I'll gladly answer any ?... I am a jazz player, understand most jazz concepts and approaches...

Reg

User Info Menu

Reg, I'm very much aware of your presence. I think I'm subscribed to your channel, maybe from a different acount than this one you've visited.

Your style of writing may appear rather cryptyc to "us" non native speakers, but as much as I can understand, it resonates well with my own thoughts (like G E A D from couple posts above). You're verbal explanations are too fast for me to follow with ease and understand fully, but ther's always something I manage to grasp, so ... I'm learning. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I think the retro rock thing is very much Vladan's wheelhouse, and I think he's being very true to himself...even the jazzier section of his version swung more like a Chicago blues band than a jazz quartet--and that's cool--it's a tired old song...time to do something new with it.

User Info Menu

Hi Wiz, really liked your take, nice pace and great effect on your delayed timing - really like your tone too.

I've always felt this to be deceptive tune - the melody is more monotonic than one note samba but there's so much harmonic potential.

cheers
    Pat

User Info Menu

Thanks Pat, I appreciate your comments.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Here are my takes: Like Jeff, I never liked this tune much, and never bothered to learn it, but I like the exercise of learning one new tune a month, so I spent an hour trying to internalize the chords, then recorded these two takes... (excuse the sloppiness/dropped beats, I'll probably remove these before too long.)

A solo chord-melody

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

and single note/backing myself in 5.

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads
    Very nice sounding guitar and nice playing.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    OK, this will be my input for this month. It may sound strange to some of you, I have tried some new things (for me) on this one. I tried some octave phrases (not too good at these), and messed around with the time a la Jimmy Raney thoughts. I tried to use some of the material from the "Line Games" book and basically played by ear on this one. I used only BIAB bass and drums to get a trio sound without any chords. I'm still not playing chords very well (left hand is still healing).

wiz

https://www.box.com/s/kg59wwzpw0x2kfxtzavpt
    Exelent sounding guitar!
    Nice feel!