The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Since "Alone Together" will be our obvious winner, here are some backing tracks you can use if you like and a PDF lead sheet. The backing track is a BIAB ballad style real tracks file with a 4-bar introduction. 4 choruses and a standard ending in the key of F Major/D minor. Not being a strong theorist, I would lean toward D minor due to all the minor II V's . I see the analysis as a lot of II - V progressions mostly related to d minor, a good tune for experimenting with melodic minor sounds. I hope everyone enjoys playing on this one.

Box

Box

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 09-01-2012 at 05:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie! Though I was not active in the voting (I must have slept through it) I really appreciate it. The BIAB track is great, and Im already going in for it. Best regards 0zoro

User Info Menu

I've put together a listening list on Spotify for anyone who uses that service; it's named "PSG Alone Together", and contains 38 recordings of the song.

Helpfully, the first is Ella singing a Nelson Riddle arrangement. I'm always better able to dig into a piece if I know the words along with the melody.

In any case, enjoy.

User Info Menu

Ten days in and still no-one posted a version???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    If anyone wants a more uptempo version its here

Tom...
    This is what BIAB sounds like now? It sounds great!

User Info Menu

Perhaps a little inspiration might help !!!!

Tom...

User Info Menu

This is my version!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by equinox
    This is my version!!

Nice melodic solo and good feel.Thinking guitar player!
    Jazzingly
    kris

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I/ve just tested my new recording hardware Balance with Reason Essentials.

I can made studio quality recordings...I think.

User Info Menu

Equinox, lovely melodic version, very easy on the ear..
    Kris, sounding goood as always, that new gear might be good for a version with a backing later??

Thanks to the pair of you for posting..

Tom...

User Info Menu

sounds great guys ... just realizing how many times I've played this tune without really knowing it that well.

I was listening/watching this on YouTube to run through the song some. It's fellow who plays piano an has the score going as he plays it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    Equinox, lovely melodic version, very easy on the ear..
    Kris, sounding goood as always, that new gear might be good for a version with a backing later??

Thanks to the pair of you for posting..

Tom...
    Thanks Tom,
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    ps.
    I will work with the version with backing...

User Info Menu

here's what I have so far :

it's myself playing chords and lead recorded on GarageBand with the computer's built-in mics

User Info Menu

This a quick version I put together this morning but I'm not really very happy with it. This song seems to be hard for me to improvise on. If I have time this weekend, I will try again. This version is mostly by ear.

https://www.box.com/s/l9e1sxmd982eemclrwr8

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This a quick version I put together this morning but I'm not really very happy with it. This song seems to be hard for me to improvise on. If I have time this weekend, I will try again. This version is mostly by ear.

wiz
    Wiz,
    Very nice sounding ,relaxing version.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluegreenguitar
    here's what I have so far :

it's myself playing chords and lead recorded on GarageBand with the computer's built-in mics
    Nice gypsy style acoustic version.
    Good idea with pics...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739

wiz
    Howie, nice and relaxed as usual, you have a very good ear.

Tom..

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom & Kris, I am going to try it again with a Bossanova style (thanks Tom) just for the fun of it.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks kris & oilywrag!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is a fantastic Version!! Thanks for the transcription!!

The bass player is Chris Minh Doky. He is excelent too!

User Info Menu

I've just recorded one chorus of "Alone Togheter" with my Tele.
    I/ve tried 11's D'Addario EXL116 strings.Sounds quite good on my Tele style guitar.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Hey Guys... great tune, nice playing. I think I made a video of AT somewhere... Might be quicker to make a new one. I haven't been on in a while, I want to read some of the post... I'll make video later tonight, same old style. Talk, ( slowly about the tune and how one could approach etc, then play through)
    Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Guys... great tune, nice playing. I think I made a video of AT somewhere... Might be quicker to make a new one. I haven't been on in a while, I want to read some of the post... I'll make video later tonight, same old style. Talk, ( slowly about the tune and how one could approach etc, then play through)
    Reg
    Great Reg,
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

I'll try and join the group again... I made vid of using harmonic concept to help organize how I might play through Alone Together. I posted on My Thread in the theory section
    Here is that Post...

Ok moving on... here's a example of using a concept to control how I might approach playing a tune.
    I'm using MM somewhat like a blanket or template over the tune, "Alone Together".
    I modal interchange all the minor chords to MM... at least as starting point, my reference. Now I add all the related V7#11 chords to those Min chords. I really want to actually change my tonal reference to those related V7 chords.
    If I have a V7 chord, I add related II- with again MM Modal interchange which could change the source of original V7 chord . I always have access to all subs.
    I now have source for Blue Notes and I'm changing the original tonal concept... creating different relationships and what actual note create those relationships.

I'm doing this on the spot... like a head arrangement at most gigs...

I'll write out the arrangement of the tune which will show a set of results... that's part of playing Jazz... every time I play the tune it can change

There is always a balance to use of any concept or technique...
    So here is a vid of result... rough, but I dig the resulting changes and influence on the tune.... I'll make lead sheet and post later.

I somewhat dug the resulting version of the tune, I'll try and make an actual recording of just playing this version...
    Reg