The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

It seems obvious "Summertime" will be the winner of the Poll for July. For those of you who want to get an early start, here is a BIAB "realtrack" backing track for the song.

Summertime backing track--->Box

PDF File---->Box

have fun with it!

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is my take on Summertime. The group I play with (Starlight) plays this tune a lot as a very slow blues, but I tried to treat is as a pensive ballad and messed around with the melody in a minor sense. I really am a little tired of this one so it probably is not my best version. Shame on me!!

Box

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that track! Really great, and I really enjoyed playing over it

Let me know what you think

User Info Menu

Wiz, I enjoyed your version very much....your playing is always smooth and melodic, with great tone!

Djl...really clean tone and nice runs and lines

User Info Menu

thank you Kris and Tityfamily for the nice compliments. If I have time, I am going to try to do another version just for fun.

Wiz

User Info Menu

dj1.....good job! very clean recording, good tone and some good improv lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

Summertime is one of my favourite pieces, and I am looking forward to working on it.
    Last edited by MPDmike; 06-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.

User Info Menu

been playing this for years...

many versions......6/8.......Paul Desmond played it in 5/4....

Am or Dm?.....
    Am
    |////|////|////|////|

Dm Dm Em7 A7+5
    |////|////|////|////|

try that in a few other keys....

time on the instrument....pierre

User Info Menu

As is my habit, I haven't yet listened to everyone's take as I like to take a swing at it before I get influenced. Just trying to come up with my own thing.

Now I'll start listening to the other versions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I enjoyed listening to your version Tytifamily, there is a lot of nice lines in it and your tone is very nice.

This is my take on Summertime. The group I play with (Starlight) plays this tune a lot as a very slow blues, but I tried to treat is as a pensive ballad and messed around with the melody in a minor sense. I really am a little tired of this one so it probably is not my best version. Shame on me!!

https://www.box.com/s/1b670000c26fb139adb8

wiz
    I like your head, that 9 and the blues notes are real cool. Lots of nice lines, I keep stopping the recording and playing your licks on my guitar. Cool.

Great tone as usual, I dig the reverb, just right.

User Info Menu

Wow Fep....very tasteful and well done. I really like you demo videos and your style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    As is my habit, I haven't yet listened to everyone's take as I like to take a swing at it before I get influenced. Just trying to come up with my own thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

wow! Really nice, Frank! As usual, a great tone, laid back with good lines and a very nice arrangement. I especially liked your choice of chord voicings.

wiz

User Info Menu

First attempt for the Standards Group:

I wish I could do the single line improv stuff like you guys, this one is entirely arranged. It's in Eb which allows a not-very-subtle tritone sub for the V chord (cowboy E7 followed by 7th position E13). I have it in at least one other key but not quite ready to record, meanwhile I'd be interested to hear any comments on this one.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Floorstand
    First attempt for the Standards Group:

I wish I could do the single line improv stuff like you guys, this one is entirely arranged. It's in Eb which allows a not-very-subtle tritone sub for the V chord (cowboy E7 followed by 7th position E13). I have it in at least one other key but not quite ready to record, meanwhile I'd be interested to hear any comments on this one.

Cheers
    Nice sounding arrange and very good acoustic sound.
    Good time.
    Now you have to try improvise over chords you play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cochrane
    Man, I wish I could do chord-melody... that's something I never spent the time to learn. It may s eem rough to you but it's a tough style to play, and I love the way you throw in quite funky slides to keep the momentum going, then let a note/chord hang there for a moment; that really creates some tension and release. Very musical, I'd say.
    Hey, thanks, Rich. After hearing all your jazzy takes, I realize I need to loosen up and just try improvising some melodic stuff over the tracks. The chord melody approach comes naturally to me, coming from classical, but I think its holding me back as a real jazz player - get too caught up in the arranging/memorizing aspect. Need to break free....

User Info Menu

Hello Everyone!
    I'm adding my approach to Summertime.Njoy!

wizard3739 , I like Your high position outside lines.
    tytlfamily, You sound is like fits backtrack.I'm not taking about mixing.

btw.Many of Us backs to this minor pentatonic sound/shape
    but this makes us nostalgia i think.
    I'm going to check the rest.

https://www.box.com/s/5dcc9e5bd59997afe69a

User Info Menu

Nice job, Setpatch! I enjoyed listening to your version and noticed your time is very good and you con go "outside" and come back in with confidence. Welcome to the practical standards group.

wiz

User Info Menu

I think We can add this duo to close a thread:

Pat Metheny with John Scofield:

what other scales can I play over summertime in Dm ?
    I have been using D pentatonic minor over the whole thing...it get boring.. any sugestion?
    gide me thru this one please..
    thanks .
    hudson

User Info Menu

My suggestions:

- Chord tones

- melodic minor in bars 7 and 8

- harmonic minor in bars 7 and 8 and 14

- D melodic minor in bars 1-3 and 9-11 and D Altered in bar 4 and 16

Also if you want to stick with pentatonics, you can use Em and Am pent over the Dm7s and the Am pent works over the Gm7 too.

User Info Menu

On the Dm you can use a Dm7 arpeggio, or superimpose an Am7 or an Em7 arpeggio. You can also use those pentatonic scales as well.
    The various Dm scales are worth exploring as well. i.e. D melodic minor and D harmonic minor. Then there's the D natural minor which is the same scale as F major scale.

The Gm is best seen as a Gm7. So Gm pentatonic, or Gm7 arpeggio. Think F major scale. Also try superimposing Am or Dm arpeggios or pentatonic scales over the top.

For the turnaround at bar 7-8. Em7b5 to A7b9. Use D harmonic minor or Bb melodic minor. If you're not used to finding the color notes in these scales you may think these scales stink. Try superimposing a Gm6 arpeggio over the Em7b5 and a Bbm6 over the A7b9. The best way is to play a short phrase on the Gm6 arp and then slide it up 3 frets and repeat it on the Bbm6. With a little practice you'll discover how cool this sounds.

I hope this helps,

Mark

User Info Menu

insert some chromatic notes here and there...

and spice up the rhythmic variation...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard
    insert some chromatic notes here and there...

and spice up the rhythmic variation...

time on the instrument...
    A good way to add chromaticism is to take any of those arpeggios or pentatonic scales I mentioned in my last post and slide them up one fret. So for Dm pentatonic, play a phrase, then slide up a fret to Eb minor pent, repeat the phrase and then slide back to Dm to resolve the phrase. You can also do this with the Am or Em superimpositions I mentioned over Dm as well. This way you can play all these chords over Dm7. Dm7, Ebm7, Em7, Fm7, Am7, and Bbm7. Is that enough color for you?

User Info Menu

Here's some basic changes that work:

||: Dm/maj7 | Eb9#11 | Dm/maj7| Am7b5 D7#9 | Gm7 | Fm7 Bb9 | E7#9 | A7#5 | Dm/maj7 Bm7b5 | Bb13 A7#5| Ab13 |

| Gm7 C7b9 | Fmaj7 Ab13 | G13 A7#5 | Dm/maj7 | Eb9#11 | Dm/maj7 | Eb9#11 :||

Most of these chords will lend themselves to a nice workout with modal applications for "Jazz" Melodic Minor scales.

For example, use D melodic minor for Dm, then play Bb melodic minor for Eb9#11, and so on. If you don't get it, I can tell you more if you like.

User Info Menu

Been working on this one. Found myself quoting "Wives and Lovers" in the solo. Seems to fit. Anyone else worked that into the tune?