The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

If this link works, this is a backing track for Solar. *bar intro, 8 choruses, Bill Evans Style BIAB realtracks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

box,com problem solved, new links for Solar" backing tracks are below:

https://www.box.com/s/0a9f3d61476d3f280001 ---PDF file

https://www.box.com/s/25ab91ffc144ce9e4287 ---Backing track

wiz

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I don't know if I could get around to playing with the backing track, but I made a vid a few weeks ago of me trying some idea on solar via solo guitar:

I play through the harmony rubato for a few choruses, then in time, then lines, then head. I know it's a little different than how we usually hear the tune, but I enjoyed playing it this way.

User Info Menu

I was determined to start posting to the PSG threads, and I thought I knew this tune until I started trying to record a take knowing how many fine players frequent this board...

Well, I'm not too happy with this but it's a fair representation of where I'm at with this tune this afternoon:

If I have time I may post a second take in a day or two, but I wanted to be sure I wouldn't make an excuse and duck it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Hey guys, I don't know if I could get around to playing with the backing track, but I made a vid a few weeks ago of me trying some idea on solar via solo guitar:

I play through the harmony rubato for a few choruses, then in time, then lines, then head. I know it's a little different than how we usually hear the tune, but I enjoyed playing it this way.
    That was really cool. Really creative use of harmony and the rubato to time worked really well. Nice swing feel. That is really a good video (I wish I could have seen the whole neck without losing the right hand though)

I read through a lead sheet once and didn't really like the tune. You may have changed my mind.
    Last edited by fep; 06-09-2012 at 10:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cochrane
    I was determined to start posting to the PSG threads, and I thought I knew this tune until I started trying to record a take knowing how many fine players frequent this board...

Well, I'm not too happy with this but it's a fair representation of where I'm at with this tune this afternoon:

If I have time I may post a second take in a day or two, but I wanted to be sure I wouldn't make an excuse and duck it
    Right on Rich, I enjoyed listening. Nice tone, good feel.

User Info Menu

Howie, I'm really enjoying your arrangement and playing along with this track. Downloaded everything. Really like the vamp in the beginning, as a way of getting into it. You can play some great stuff over it. You transcribed this from a Bill Evans version? Thanks, as always, for taking the time.

I agree with Jake, this tune never gets old for me. There is so much you can go for in it; a lot to hear.

I will try at some point to post something, which I have not done thus far. My problem is I have the same computer that the Gutenberg Bible was written on, and it only has a mic input, so I'm forced to play my acoustic through the mic, instead of my electric. I run Audicity and that's the other thing; even though I hear it in real time there is delay on the playback so I always have to go in and do a chop job to get my solo to sync with the backing. Not always easy with jazz stuff. Any advice from the more technically inclined would be appreciated.

Great job by all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Howie, I'm really enjoying your arrangement and playing along with this track. Downloaded everything. Really like the vamp in the beginning, as a way of getting into it. You can play some great stuff over it. You transcribed this from a Bill Evans version? Thanks, as always, for taking the time.

I agree with Jake, this tune never gets old for me. There is so much you can go for in it; a lot to hear.

I will try at some point to post something, which I have not done thus far. My problem is I have the same computer that the Gutenberg Bible was written on, and it only has a mic input, so I'm forced to play my acoustic through the mic, instead of my electric. I run Audicity and that's the other thing; even though I hear it in real time there is delay on the playback so I always have to go in and do a chop job to get my solo to sync with the backing. Not always easy with jazz stuff. Any advice from the more technically inclined would be appreciated.

Great job by all.
    Paynow: Thank you for the compliments but I didn't transcribe the backing track, I built it from a realtracks style with BIAB. I'm happy you are enjoying the backing track.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Thanks Kris, good tone, good lines. I enjoyed listening.
    Thanks Frank

User Info Menu

I've recorded a take on my Telecaster today.
    I think it's sound quite good...:-)
    Thanks
    kris

User Info Menu

I figured out a way to get around the delay problem. This is my Ibanez AS73 plugged directly into a mic input on my ancient computer. Sorry, I'm an ancient kind of guy. I have to get some real recording equipment.

User Info Menu

fep -- thanks for the encouragement... listening back this morning I think I just haven't got some of the stuff I was trying to pull off in my ears yet. I'd like to try a simpler, more inside take on it.

Kris -- I'm really enjoying your takes. I particularly liked the way you dropped down to slow triplets at around 1:11 in the tele version, that's really sweet.

Paynow -- I love the way you create a kind of "base camp" and then set out to explore from there... anyway that's the way it sounds to me, and it puts the more dissonant sounds in a context that makes them logical. That's the kind of thing I was struggling to achieve with this tune and it's a bit clearer to me now how to do it.

Jake -- your take was really cool & helpful to watch, and that Wayne / Herbie version is phenomenal. Herbie seems in a rather Monkish mood there... is that a tiny bit of Criss Cross at 2:10??

If anyone has any favourite things to play on specific parts of the tune, that would be interesting to hear about. I quite liked Dorian b9 over the opening Cm7 and DbM7 over the FM7.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rich,
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Just saw this Rich. As Kris said, thanks.

User Info Menu

I wanted to get a last take in here -- sorry about the apalling quality, I think I had the wrong gain setting on the desk but I've been too busy to do another take.

I'm quite pleased that slowing the tempo, more time working with the changes, keeping the tune in mind, letting myself go long and not trying to artificially fit in stuff I've been working on all led to (imho) a better effort:

User Info Menu

This is my version of Solar improvisation. I tried to play around with the melody a bit but got pretty far outside a couple of times. I don't have much spare time right now so I didn't do another take. I think of this song mostly in the key of c minor with some movement to FMaj and DbMaj but more in CMM for some nice tension to play with. As usual, I play mostly by ear because it feels and sounds better to me.

https://www.box.com/s/3765bb322f61075aa061

wiz

User Info Menu

Nice job Wiz!

User Info Menu

Nice groove and sound!
    thanks wiz

User Info Menu

This is my last vesion on Solar.
    I used D'Aspiranta guitar and Peavey Classic-30 amp and mic.
    Fingerstyle without pick.
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

VERY tasty lines, Kris!! great tone and a great groove. I love listening to it and you represent very professional jazz guitar music. Thanks for sharing.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks Wiz,
    Jazzingly :-)
    kris