Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi I am a new member to the forum. I have recently become very serious about jazz guitar as a hobby and using this as an anti-stress/ counterbalancing activity to work. Seriously thinking about updating jazz guitar education next summer preferably in NYC, the jazz capital of the world. Just curious to know if any member attended any of these summer jazz camps and willing to share their experience. I am considering the NYU Steinhart summer jazz guitar program.

Look forward to hearing from any of you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't attended any jazz summer camp, but I do know there are summer sessions at the Aebersold camp (of course), and the Player's School in Florida. Keep those in mind as well.

User Info Menu

I've heard good things about Maryland Summer Jazz too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gasvictim
    Hi I am a new member to the forum. I have recently become very serious about jazz guitar as a hobby and using this as an anti-stress/ counterbalancing activity to work. Seriously thinking about updating jazz guitar education next summer preferably in NYC, the jazz capital of the world. Just curious to know if any member attended any of these summer jazz camps and willing to share their experience. I am considering the NYU Steinhart summer jazz guitar program.

Look forward to hearing from any of you.
    Look into the Tritone camps. The guitar instructor is Gene Bertoncini and quite frankly it's going to be hard to do better than that. Gene is the shiznit, man. There is an East Coast camp, Jazz at Naz (Nazareth College in Rochester NY); I go to the Tritone camp in Door County WI and it is a fabulous experience. Master classes with Gene, small combo, big band if you want, theory classes, rhythm classes, jazz history and listening, jams most evenings, staff concerts, and all adult learners. It's about the best week of my year (geez, I need a life, stat) and has become my summer vacation.

User Info Menu

I live outside of the city. I never really looked into any camps; did a bit of "googling," and found this. They have something called a summer summit:

New York Jazz Workshop

I see Vic Juris pictured there, of course he's outstanding. Don't know anything about them though. Their actual camp seems to be for teens.

Here's one for adults:

Summer Jazz Intensives - Summer Camp for Adults and Teens in the heart of NYC | New York Jazz Academy | NYC's Fastest-Growing Music School

And they're pitching it, because when I googled, it came up as a sponsored ad. 1400 for a couple of weeks and "dormitory" housing if you want to lay out an extra 1500 for a week. Unfortunately, there was a March 1 deadline. Much cheaper than any hotel in Manhattan, just make sure the "dormitory" isn't over a take out restaurant in the Bronx. Better yet, it's great if you have a friend you can stay with. The actual camp is in a nice part of the Upper West Side.

Bertoncini is great; I'd look into that, as mentioned in a previous post:

https://tritonejazz.com

Rochester is way upstate, however. No where near Manhattan.

User Info Menu

I've thought about attending a summer camp this year, but I just don't know how much value one would get out of a week at camp vs. spending a week working really hard on some topics at home (assuming one sort of knows what to work on and doesn't just waste that week).

It would be fun to play with other people at camp and probably do some mini-concerts, etc, but in terms of actually learning material...I don't know. It takes time and repetition to ingrain material...with only a day between lessons at a camp, how well can one really absorb the stuff?

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

I am attending the jamey aebersold camp in July, week long. No idea what I am in for, excited, nervous, but I think it will be a good experience.
    Been learning jazz for one year now, taking lessons, modes down, arpeggios, and going thru joe Elliot's jazz book for the second time.
    The aebersold camp is in Louisville in July,,,,,anyone else attending?

User Info Menu

69Chargermd -
    You'll have a blast. I've been going to Aebersold for quite a few years and can still remember the excitement of the first year. It can be a bit overwhelming -- it's nonstop jazz for the full week (combos/theory/concerts) - but you'll be amazed at the rush of being around likeminded jazzers and you will leave it energized and motivated to work on your chops for next year. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. Which week are you going?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I've thought about attending a summer camp this year, but I just don't know how much value one would get out of a week at camp vs. spending a week working really hard on some topics at home (assuming one sort of knows what to work on and doesn't just waste that week).

It would be fun to play with other people at camp and probably do some mini-concerts, etc, but in terms of actually learning material...I don't know. It takes time and repetition to ingrain material...with only a day between lessons at a camp, how well can one really absorb the stuff?

Thoughts?
    At least in my experiences at Tritone this happens and I would expect that to be the case in other jazz camps. For example, with Gene Bertoncini the master classes have focused on specific types of material for several days in a row, so the repetition is very concentrated. The small combos and big band work on 2-4 songs prepping them for performance at the end of the camp, so that's not like new material every day. The theory classes build each day on the previous material. With the jam session every evening there is a built in opportunity to apply the information in a practical setting (although of course the tendency is to fall back on what you know).

My trumpeter went to the Aebersold camps for years and really dug them.

User Info Menu

Solo flight, thanks for the response. I am going the second week. I have a week of vacation time and decided to spend it at the camp, lol. My wife was a bit surprised. I went and bought some of the aebersold books ahead of time, and am trying to learn as many of the standards as I can.
    Pretty weak on theory,
    Don't know what to expect at the Sunday audition, but again I am looking forward to the experience ,,,,
    Thanks for the response, Doug

User Info Menu

Hooray to you guys and gals that are going for it!

Since I can't attend please have some fun for me!

User Info Menu

Looks like we’ll miss each other since I’m there the first week. The audition is pretty low-key. They’ll show you a chart (usually a tune with some simple 2-5’s and ask you to comp while one of them plays a bass line. Then they’ll ask you to solo one chorus while one of them comps the chords. That’s it – takes about 2 minutes. If you’re weak on theory, make sure you go to Jamey’s class, even if you happen to test into the next one up (trust me on this – you don’t want to miss the full Jamey experience and the next one up is rather dry). And don’t be tempted to skip any of the evening faculty concerts thinking you have to practice – they’re amazing and you can practice when you get home. Have fun!

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny, Jack DeJohnette, and Larry Grenadier will also be doing a summer jazz thing in Connecticut in August. Info is on his website. I think it's probably the priciest option at about $3750 if you stay at a hotel, or $4950 if you stay on site, for 5 days. In comparison, Jamey Aebersold's 6 day jazz camp is $495.

User Info Menu

Solo, too bad i can't be there the first week. Sounds like your coming from out of town ?

I live in Louisville,,,,so i can commute.. was hard to pass up this kind of camp,,,especially since it's right here in town.

I have been putting some time in on my Jazz playing, taking lessons every other week,,,got all my major7th, minor7th, dominant, min7b5 arpeggios down in every position on the neck

learned my melodic minor, altered, locrian2, lydian dominant scales

going thru the joe elliot book for the second time,
    ,and am trying to learn some "standards" ,,,eg I went thru and learned......song for my father, autumn leaves, blue bossa(solar flair),cantaloupe island,,I have been going at all of this for about 9 months now, cant believe what i have been missing.

I wish i had a nice hollow body/electric to use....
    I have a old fender strat,,les paul,,and some others,,,that will have to do, not sure what most people are playing,,,,,,Was going to look at a Gibson ES137 this week,,but it sold before i could get there.

Enjoy Louisville,,,have a good week at "camp",,,,
    Doug

User Info Menu

I went to Mrs. Kilmergruntz's Summer Tuba Academy for a couple weeks, we mostly worked on polkas and German drinking songs, your basic oompah stuff. Of course we all found out how much beer it took to fill up a tuba. After that, playing with the circus band when it came to town was much more educating than any music camp. You really can't beat circus music, plus they had a parade. Of course I found out how much weed that Tulsa Sam could smuggle inside his tuba case.

User Info Menu

69Chargermd -
    Since you live in Louisville, you can go to all the faculty concerts the first week as well even without enrolling in the camp - they're free to the public - Comstock Hall, starting at about 7pm. And if you're so inclined, stop by Bearno's pizza on 4th St. on campus this Sat. night, the 30th - I've put together a student trio to play/jam in advance of the camp - hope to start about 7pm. And if you could have someone turn down the main Louisville thermostat in advance of this weekend, we'd all appreciate it!

User Info Menu

How was your week solo flight ?
    I had my audition today. Attending the first concert at the moment.
    Ps. What type of guitar do you have? I attended some of the student recitals last week. Might have seen you ?

User Info Menu

Ps. I attended all of the faculty concerts last week. Awesome

User Info Menu

Great week - except for the sauna-like weather. I've got an Eastman - we played So What on Friday, trying hard to recreate the Miles vibe. I could've played better, as always, but had a blast. Enjoy the week!

User Info Menu

Finished the first day, pretty overwhelming for me. Still very new to jazz. The combo group is very tough for me. We did a total of four songs today, rapid fire, sight reading, comping, improvising, etc. Autumn leaves, blue bossa, song for my father, b flat blues, and a really fast f blues,
    I was very bummed with myself after,,,long ride home,,,embarrassed, frustrated, thought I made a mistake attending.....
    I was pretty nervous, probably cause I'm not up to speed on most jazz numbers.
    I put 5 hours in when I got home,,,,i taped both sessions which helped so i could go back and learn it better,,,wrote stuff out, learned the songs better, and now feel much better.
    We will see how tomorrow and the rest of the week goes.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 69CHARGERMD
    Finished the first day, pretty overwhelming for me. Still very new to jazz. The combo group is very tough for me. We did a total of four songs today, rapid fire, sight reading, comping, improvising, etc. Autumn leaves, blue bossa, song for my father, b flat blues, and a really fast f blues,
    I was very bummed with myself after,,,long ride home,,,embarrassed, frustrated, thought I made a mistake attending.....
    I was pretty nervous, probably cause I'm not up to speed on most jazz numbers.
    I put 5 hours in when I got home,,,,i taped both sessions which helped so i could go back and learn it better,,,wrote stuff out, learned the songs better, and now feel much better.
    We will see how tomorrow and the rest of the week goes.....
    That sounds like about the right reaction to a first-time at a good (i.e., challenging) jazz camp. And it sounds like the right response: dig in and squeeze all the juice out of it you can (although five more hours might be overcompensating- don't give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome or inflamed tendons).

Don't be embarrassed: you are a jazz *learner* and they know that- or you wouldn't be there.

Hang in there, it WILL get better and you will have a great time and learn a lot.

User Info Menu

69Chargermd -
    I remember the feeling all too well - I was in over my head that first year. But not to worry - you didn't make a mistake by coming. It's just a little unnerving, especially when all the 16-year-olds know all those tunes already and the changes are flying by faster than your accustomed to. But here's a tip - find Mike Diliddo, one of the guitar instructors, and have him show you one easy rootless voicing for each of the minor, dominant and major7 chords to get by for the week - he's got a whole chart with dozens of voicings but let him know where you are and what you need. Don't worry about playing lots of notes for your solos - remember less is more. Stick to the roots, thirds and sevenths and trust your ears. It'll be fine. I'll PM you with my email address.

User Info Menu

just found the New york Jazz Workshop from the Vic Juris Website.
    They have weekly courses throughout the year and i'm looking into it..