The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

The winner was Green Dolphin Street. I have two backing tracks, both in the key of C major and both have a 4bar introduction. Both tracks are BIAB realtracks in a Bill Evans style. One is a simple track with chords from one of the realbook series. The other one is a bit more complex made from sub. chords I might use. There are 4 choruses and the more complex version has a tag ending. I hope these work for you,

wiz

Green Dolphin Street--->Box

Green Dolphin Street PDF->Box

Green Dolphin Street sub, chords--
    --->Box

Green Dolphin Street sub chords PDF
    ---->Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-09-2012 at 12:01 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's mine...this post is kind of an "audio diary moment" that revealed a big hole in my playing on this tune...

Having really only played this tune with a latin feel during the A sections (and usually a little quicker) I found myself really struggling with this as a slow swing...it was very revealing for me regarding a big gap in my playing...

Anyway, here it is, for all to see...it's good to get this stuff out there, i think...

User Info Menu

Nice swing feel in your solo, Jeff. Is that Godin plugged in, or is the whole video "acoustic?" I'm still trying to figure out how to get a recording of me playing along with a backing track without having to resort to just playing the BiAB file through my speakers while recoding via webcam.

User Info Menu

Thanks...see, I thought I sounded stiff as hell...kept wanting to push the drummer...but there wasn't one!

I plugged it in but kept the volume pretty low...you're hearing mostly the acoustic sound...although the guitar sounds pretty much like that, only louder and with more bass, through my Henriksen...

User Info Menu

Really nice bluesey swing feel, Mr. B., some tasty lines, and no holes are there for my old ears. good job!

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here's mine...this post is kind of an "audio diary moment" that revealed a big hole in my playing on this tune...

Having really only played this tune with a latin feel during the A sections (and usually a little quicker) I found myself really struggling with this as a slow swing...it was very revealing for me regarding a big gap in my playing...

Anyway, here it is, for all to see...it's good to get this stuff out there, i think...

Very nice! I liked how I could tell that you were playing over Green Dolphin Street, not just hitting changes. The jazz blues feel was great, that's the kind of territory I want to take my own playing into.

Not sure what you thought you were struggling with, sounded quite good to me, but then that's all a matter of perspective I suppose. About the only negative I noticed was that the ending seemed a bit abrupt and to me didn't fit with how you played the rest of the song.

User Info Menu

Hey, kris, I like the modulation, and I've never played it like this before. Do I have the gist of it, here? (In particular, I'm looking at the transitions to and from Eb. Does LaVerne's version match this, or ... ? I couldn't find a recording online to check.)

Code:
    intro
     G-7  C7(#9)  | F-7  Bb7(13)  | Eb6(9)  D7(#9)  | Ab6(9)  G7(b13) ||

head
     C/G    | %   | Eb/G   | %     | D/G   | Db/G  | C/G     | %  (A7) |

D-7    | G7  | F/C    | F/Eb  | Ab-7  | Db7   | Gb7sus4 | Bb7     |

Eb/Bb  | %   | Gb/Bb  | %     | F/Bb  | E/Bb  | Eb/Bb   | %  (C7) |

F-7  F-7/Eb  | D-7b5  G7  | C-7     C-7/Bb  | A-7b5    D7         |

G7   C7      | F7    Bb7  | Eb6(9)  D7(#9)  | Ab6(9)   G7(b13)  :||

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Hey, kris, I like the modulation, and I've never played it like this before. Do I have the gist of it, here? (In particular, I'm looking at the transitions to and from Eb. Does LaVerne's version match this, or ... ? I couldn't find a recording online to check.)

Code:
    intro
     G-7  C7(#9)  | F-7  Bb7(13)  | Eb6(9)  D7(#9)  | Ab6(9)  G7(b13) ||

head
     C/G    | %   | Eb/G   | %     | D/G   | Db/G  | C/G     | %  (A7) |

D-7    | G7  | F/C    | F/Eb  | Ab-7  | Db7   | Gb7sus4 | Bb7     |

Eb/Bb  | %   | Gb/Bb  | %     | F/Bb  | E/Bb  | Eb/Bb   | %  (C7) |

F-7  F-7/Eb  | D-7b5  G7  | C-7     C-7/Bb  | A-7b5    D7         |

G7   C7      | F7    Bb7  | Eb6(9)  D7(#9)  | Ab6(9)   G7(b13)  :||
    Hi,
    I put to attachment chords for that reharmonisation.
    very similar to yours ...:-)
    Jazzingly
    kris

hey howie-am working on green dolphin street and come across your a7alt. chord. i cant get any info on how to play this chord and what it means. can you give me a leg up??????????

User Info Menu

The A7alt chord is a dom7 chord that give you the option of using any combination of #5,b5,#9,b9 tones, for example, A7b9, A7#9, A7b5b9, A7b5#9, etc...... It is your choice to add some tension and your ear will tell you the chord that sounds best to you.

wiz

hey wiz- Thank you very much for the answer. gives me a lot of room to work with. hope this will work w/all the alt chords.

User Info Menu

I've been preoccupied with other things, but I do want to participate. So, late to the party, hopefully not too late.

Sometimes I like to do my own thing before I listen to other takes. That's what I did this time. I find I learn more by finding my own way and then listening to your takes. It focuses me in better to the different approaches. Then I'll probably steal some ideas from you all.

User Info Menu

nice relaxed approch, good chord voicings and some really nice lines. Plus, a good and very relaxed groove. I love it!

wiz

User Info Menu

Nice playing fep. I really like your treatment of the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    nice relaxed approch, good chord voicings and some really nice lines. Plus, a good and very relaxed groove. I love it!

wiz
    yes I agree.

except that Fep spooked me a little looking at the camera, thought he could see me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    yes I agree.

except that Fep spooked me a little looking at the camera, thought he could see me.
    Yah, he does that in all his videos. It's like a Dead show with Jerry looking right at me the entire time, man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739

wiz
    Thanks Wiz

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Nice playing fep. I really like your treatment of the head.
    Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    yes I agree.

Yah, he does that in all his videos. It's like a Dead show with Jerry looking right at me the entire time, man.
    Mark and Jeff,

Ha ha, it spooks me too. I'm going to have to stop doing that. One has to look at something.

I've tried to break the habit of always looking down at my left hand. Now I have the habit of watching my left hand on the screen as I'm video taping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Digging it Jeff.

I don't hear it, I thought your phrasing was good. Has a gypsy flavor with the way you attack the strings, the acoustic sound and your phrasing.

Really cool lines, I dig how you embellish the melody. Beyond embellishment at spots actually.

User Info Menu

Where do I get the backing track that fep used? I like the bossa/swing aspect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    Where do I get the backing track that fep used? I like the bossa/swing aspect.
    I guess you need to get it from me.

I made that with BIAB. It was a kind of a pain as I had to input so many 'style changes' throughout the tune.

See the attached mp3.

The 1st 4 bars of intro || C6 / / / | / / G7alt / | C6 / / / | / / G7alt / |

The tag | Em7 / A7alt / | Dm7 / G7alt / | Em7 / A7alt / | Dm7 / G7alt / | C6 / / / | / / / | C6

The rest is the same as the Real Book.
    Last edited by fep; 05-24-2012 at 03:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's my take - warts and all. I still haven't figured out how to do a decent recording, so this is me with BiAB coming out of my computer speakers, and my Roland Cube 80X, all direct into my MS LifeCam.

thanks for submitting your version of this great old tune, I enjoyed listening and am looking forward to hearing more of your music. Welcome aboard Jeff! I missed this when you put it up: good stuff, nice tone and good presentation.

wiz

User Info Menu

I am well aware that it is not May of 2012, but I took a crack at this one recently so I thought I'd throw it out there. Any pointers on what I need to work on would be awesome.

Last edited by Jehu; 12-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.