The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 88 of 88

User Info Menu

Larry after learning the melody, I like to start with playing chords thru the chord progression in one position. Then do the same choosing a couple of other positions. Then the same working up and down the neck.

Next I like to run arpeggios over those same chord fingerings that I come up with from the above exercises.

Next run scales over those fingerings/position(s).

And last try to jam on the chord progression trying to use those tools, and I love hearing the blues notes so I like to sprinkle that in hear and there.

And if I find something I like I try to remember it, better yet write it down in my lick diary (I don't do that enough though).

When I get some time I'll write up some examples.

Yes, a lot of steps... I'm sure the more advanced players don't have to do any of this, but it seems to work for me and is a good learning experience.
    Last edited by fep; 01-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Larry after learning the melody, I like to start with playing chords thru the chord progression in one position. Then do the same choosing a couple of other positions. Then the same working up and down the neck.

Next I like to run arpeggios over those same chord fingerings that I come up with from the above exercises.

Next run scales over those fingerings/position(s).

And last try to jam on the chord progression trying to use those tools, and I love hearing the blues notes so I like to sprinkle that in hear and there.

And if I find something I like I try to remember it, better yet write it down in my lick diary (I don't do that enough though).

When I get some time I'll write up some examples.

Yes, a lot of steps... I'm sure the more advanced players don't have to do any of this, but it seems to work for me and is a good learning experience.

User Info Menu

Here you go Larry,

I thought it would be quicker for me to post a video than write up these examples.

Like I said, the advanced players probably don't go thru all of this, but I find it useful:

User Info Menu

Thank you, Fep. This is really helpful. I guess the concept is to use a song to learn whatever chords, arpeggios, scales, licks, etc it takes to make it work and then move on to the next song and do it all over again. Makes complete sense and a lot more focused and interesting than learning all the pieces out of context.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tytlfamily
    Ok, A late attempt, but here is my go....very rough and no head, just the solo. Please crituqe !

Thanks, Tytl

Straight No Chaser.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Hey ty

sounds like your fingers were dancing on the fret board. very nice feel in your playing

User Info Menu

On Jan 4th Howard said:

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Sorry to be late on this one, I didn't have time to do much with it.
    Hey Howard, Now here is a submission that is really late.

I did Blue Monk as an intro... yeah that's what I'll call it, an intro to Straight No Chaser:

Wondering away from the traditional jazz guitar sound....

Last edited by fep; 01-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

On Jan 4th Howard said:

Hey Howard, Now here is a submission that is really late.

I did Blue Monk as an intro... yeah that's what I'll call it, an intro to Straight No Chaser:

Wondering away from the traditional jazz guitar sound....

Hey fep -- I like it! Good playing throughout, and I especially liked Blue Monk on that wild guitar w/ wild sound! A Godin???? (I've been wrestling lately with the idea of the "traditional guitar sound" vs. every other possible sound on guitar -- some new sounds *do* work very well, I think.)

Love your music room, too (mine's here somewhere - I just can't always find it....)

Thanks for sharing -- post more!

kj
    Last edited by Kojo27; 01-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Frank, that was really fun! good lines for both! Was that a wah-wah or something else? As you can probably guess, I liked the Straight No Chaser best, especially with the good comping I saw and heard with your groovy jazzy version. Really nice blues lines for both songs. thanks for sharing.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    Hey fep -- I like it! Good playing throughout, and I especially liked Blue Monk on that wild guitar w/ wild sound! A Godin???? (I've been wrestling lately with the idea of the "traditional guitar sound" vs. every other possible sound on guitar -- some new sounds *do* work very well, I think.)

Love your music room, too (mine's here somewhere - I just can't always find it....)

Thanks for sharing -- post more!

kj
    Thanks Loren,

I think it's funny, I started humming and singing the melody to "Straight No Chaser" and when I did I was singing with a wah wah affect. Then I sat down and worked out the melody on the guitar. In the mean time I listened to some posts on this thread and realized... What I was singing and learned on the guitar wasn't Straight No Chaser, I was singing and learned Blue Monk, ha ha.

The wah wah sound I was after came from my memory of where Steely Dan plays East St. Louis Toodle-Oo , where a guitar sounded a bit like a trumpet with a plunger mute.

I tried with a wah wah, but couldn't work it out to my liking. So, I used an envelope filter, that's what you hear.

The guitar is a Godin as you guessed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Hey Frank, that was really fun! good lines for both! Was that a wah-wah or something else? As you can probably guess, I liked the Straight No Chaser best, especially with the good comping I saw and heard with your groovy jazzy version. Really nice blues lines for both songs. thanks for sharing.

wiz
    Thank Howard,

It was an envelope filter, something in my pedal board that I never tried before. It sounds like a wah wah, but is trigger by how hard you pick, pick soft - no effect, pick harder - you get the effect. You can dial in the sensitivity too.

I like the comping best also. I think it's because I've done it so much. Single line soloing is more difficult for me.

User Info Menu

Yep, that was pretty cool....... Really loved the second half. Comping and solo/melody. Nice tone also, a little bit of grit in there!

User Info Menu

Thanks Loren,

The wah wah sound I was after came from my memory of where Steely Dan plays East St. Louis Toodle-Oo , where a guitar sounded a bit like a trumpet with a plunger mute.

I tried with a wah wah, but couldn't work it out to my liking. So, I used an envelope filter, that's what you hear.
    Ah - my effects board has that, but I never really knew what to do with it. Guess what I'm about to fiddle around with now. : )

(Cool Godin!)

User Info Menu

Here you go Larry,

I thought it would be quicker for me to post a video than write up these examples.

Like I said, the advanced players probably don't go thru all of this, but I find it useful:

After reading a hundred times that the best way to learn jazz is to learn some songs, I finally decided to start learning some songs. This thread seemed a great place to start and your video was really helpful. Thanks!