The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 88

User Info Menu

Hello friends, I did another take of the standard fixes some bugs and committing other.
    Thanks for your patience.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice, auguss -- play on!

kj

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    Very nice, auguss -- play on!

kj

Thank you very much, you're very kind.

augus- now thats jazz!!!!!!! well played-first time i have seen your name? please play more for us and give us your input. please

User Info Menu

Thank you very much Richard, is a pleasure to play the guitar, if I do is also useful for someone is much better.
    Greetings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by augusjazz
    Hello friends, I did another take of the standard fixes some bugs and committing other.
    Thanks for your patience.

Nicely done! Your previous version was also good, but I think this one was a clear improvement, especially in the single note lines. The octaves were a nice addition, but they stood out a bit because they weren't quite as polished as the rest of your playing. Don't get me wrong, they still sounded good, just not at the same level as the rest.

User Info Menu

My English is google translator, lol.

I meant you to develop a lick melodically and rhythmically instead of playing many licks.

I like your take 2.
    No worries! If you don't mind me asking, what's your native language?

I think I get what you're saying - create a complete solo, with everything connected, having a direction and purpose, rather than just stitching together licks and ideas. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the suggestion - any tips for working on that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    Nicely done! Your previous version was also good, but I think this one was a clear improvement, especially in the single note lines. The octaves were a nice addition, but they stood out a bit because they weren't quite as polished as the rest of your playing. Don't get me wrong, they still sounded good, just not at the same level as the rest.
    I understand and I think alike.
    I have not the same level melodic "single note" in "octaves", that is for me very difficult.
    I hope someday to have the proper octave level.

No worries! If you don't mind me asking, what's your native language?

I think I get what you're saying - create a complete solo, with everything connected, having a direction and purpose, rather than just stitching together licks and ideas. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the suggestion - any tips for working on that?
    My native language is Spanish.
    On the way to work melodically, one way is to develop motivs melodic, both intervals and rhythms.
    If using a lick "learned" to be prepared to play melodically lick is the melodic resolution.

Hi Guys:

First of all, this is one of my favorite tunes ever so it will be fun to get back into Straight No Chaser and search for some new inspiration.

A few questions:

I've always played it in F. Doesn't The Real book 6th edition have it in Bb though? That seemed odd to me that they would change the key. Although, moving a tune by a 5th is a great way to practice it to see if you really know it.

Also, when I listen to my copy of Miles & Monk live at Newport they always add a cool, slightly dissonant chord over the first F7 and Bb7. That odd dissonance is so typical of Monk's compositions. It's one of the things I like about him. Does anyone have any suggested voicing of those odd chords?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Brouelette
    Also, when I listen to my copy of Miles & Monk live at Newport they always add a cool, slightly dissonant chord over the first F7 and Bb7. That odd dissonance is so typical of Monk's compositions. It's one of the things I like about him. Does anyone have any suggested voicing of those odd chords?
    This dissonance (Ab) in the chord F is the tension that leads to IV (Bb chord is the 7th), therefore becomes:

I F7 Bb7 F7 # 9 I .........
    It's a way to create tension in a chord and was 7 th.

User Info Menu

I like it, nice sound and beautiful tone.
    You have things to work, but better than the experienced say that what the forum.
    Not for me to make corrections.
    Thanks very much.
    It surprises how decent a sound you can get plugged directly into the computer.
    And yes, I have many things to work on and not enough life times to absorb it all. I tend to ramble away mainly using the major scale until I find a take I'm half happy with.
    But its a fun journey.

User Info Menu

Here's my version. Enjoy, I hope.

http://www.box.com/s/4uhdc092koop791q64k8
    Last edited by Kman; 01-17-2012 at 11:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kman
    I really liked.
    Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Kman! Warm touch - very nice to hear. Post more and more!

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening guys.

User Info Menu

very soulful. I enjoyed that

User Info Menu

Kman, Great job on this, your tunes have that great "cool" vibe

User Info Menu

Good job, kman! I especially like the way you allow your improv to breathe. very cool lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

Where does the time go, it's already the 20th and I haven't started working on the tune.

Actually, I sat down and tried to play the melody. Thought I had it down, looked at the lead sheet and, "Hey I'm not playing Straight no Chaser at all". Searched through the real book and discovered "I'm playing Blue Monk (in F)". Oh well, start over.

User Info Menu

@ doveman...

Hi, your link isn't working for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeneerJelle
    This is my take, I decided to fill up the whole backingtrack, so I became a little out of inspiration at the end..

Straight No Chaser - MeneerJelle.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Awesome - great job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Sorry to be late on this one, I didn't have time to do much with it. I apologize for the noisy background, (TV in the other room). I used a backing track from BIAB and the first two choruses are me trying to be creative with the comping. The other choruses are my improv, mostly by ear. I tried to stay away from pentatonics to get a more of a "cool jazz" feel and purposely didn't work much from the melody line. If I have time later this week, I will try to do a more up tempo version.

wiz

Straight No Chaser.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Hey Wiz, You're not late (I am though)

Nice tone, sort of acoustic and electric mixed with reverb.

Yes, very jazzy lines... didn't notice the 'blues' notes in your lines. But it still works real well. Nice job, I enjoyed your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    @ doveman...

Hi, your link isn't working for me.
    Yeah ... I did some clean up ... zapped a couple of sites that I really wasn't using. Forgot about this cut. I've been working on the tune a good bit ... so when I lay down a new track I'll set something back up.
    Last edited by doveman; 01-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doveman
    Yeah ... I did some clean up ... zapped a couple of sites that I really wasn't using. Forgot about this cut. I've been working on the tune a good bit ... so when I lay down a new track I'll set something back up.
    I added it to my Reverbnation site ... when I fix it with take 2 ... I'll just replace it. Having fun with it.

Edit: Take 2 is on post #117.
    Last edited by doveman; 01-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

OK. Going to give this a try, but ya'll seem way ahead of me jazz-wise. I've got the melody line down pretty well. I wind up waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get the tune out of my mind. I think that's a good thing. So, what next? I thought that I would take one measure at a time and try to use more or less the same timing as the melody line and work in m7b5 over the dominant 7th arpeggios, trying to connect them with common tones where possible. If nothing else, I figure that will at least help me get to learn my m7b5 arpeggios. Does that seem like a good place to start?