The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 88

User Info Menu

Here we go...

A lead sheet pdf

Straight No Chaser 160bpm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

An mp3 backing track, note that for bar 12 of each chorus I added a ii V, Gm7 C7 for all but the last chorus where it stays on F7:

Straight, No Chaser.pdf - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Box

And here's one for learning and practicing the melody

Box

If someone wants a fast tempo, I'll do one more backing track. Let me know what tempo you want.
    Last edited by fep; 01-03-2012 at 12:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the most important thing from this is, is that the 6th chord, which is normally a m7 (with alterations if you please) has been turned into a 7th chord for easier sounding chord passages. I think I heard him say that you could do this with any chord in the major scale, and turn it into a 7th for this reason, though I think it should be done with caution.

User Info Menu

So , Im the first to post a recording :-)
    here is me and the band having a go at it

User Info Menu

That's a great jam man! You had some super tasty blues-jazzy licks, and I especially enjoyed the little octave part(s) .

I will be transcribing some of those to see what you were doing. Great sax solo as well, you're lucky with a group like that! Would love to have something like that going in the near future....

User Info Menu

Well ... this might be a good one for a blues player wanting to play around with some jazz. I may play around with this one myself ... and will surely listen in to the discussions and posts.

User Info Menu

Good job, Jay! good feel, good lines, good tone with a nice laid-back version of the tune. Sounds like you have a fun-loving band.

wiz

User Info Menu

10x guys, I love the blues so many possibilities on those Dom7s

User Info Menu

Very nice job. I enjoyed it!

fs

User Info Menu

personal goal: first jazz song attempt ever. just get comfortable.

User Info Menu

(Holy crap this is fast)

User Info Menu

Don't let the tempo cause you any grief! Blues are played at many different tempos from 60 to over 300. Also, many jazz players put II chords in front of the V chords and many also use a lot of altered dominant chords as subs for the the V chords. The improvisation possibilities are unlimited and the resulting lines are more about a good groove and how you feel at the time you are playing "jazz" blues. IMHO, of course.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 01-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jessesmit
    (Holy crap this is fast)
    I'll post a slower backing track... within the next few days. How about 130bpm?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That would be great, appreciate that!

User Info Menu

Ok ... having some fun with this ... here's what I'm doing:

Step 1: Just run through the changes like I would at a jam session. Played with a Tele ... through a Tweed amp. It has some hair on it in a few places ... I can't help myself. And bends ... but just having fun with it.

Edit: Newest version is on post #117 ... has the head now ... still needs some work ... take 3 will be needed.

Step 2: Need to learn the head ... frankly it's throwing me a bit ... but I'll get it. Listening to Jayx123's excellent take will surely help.
    Step 3: Apply some of the learning from a jazz in blues course I'm working through ... try to apply some of the lessons.
    Step 4: Re-record another take and see if there is a difference. I'll add in the head in the beginning and end ... jam some in the middle.

I'll probably not walk away from here playing my semi-hollow totally clean through a solid state amp ... but I think this will be good for me. Feel free to give constructive criticism. Take it easy on me though ... I know I'm not a jazz player at all ... but hope to learn.

Last edited by doveman; 01-29-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Updated take on post 117

User Info Menu

doveman - you have a great bluesy vibe going on there. I can hear the your main vehicle is the minor pentatonic/blues scale. I hardly use this scale when improvising on the blues (I should use it more). IMHO if you are looking for a more "jazzy" sound this will be obtain if the minor pentatonic/blues scale is only one of the tools used to improvise on the blues and not the main vehicle.

When I improvise on the blues (or on any tune) I usually think in layers the basic layer is the key center so in the blues there are 3 key centers (on for each of the dom7 chords) then the next layer will be the arps and the top layers will be the rest of the tools such as using the blues scale, the melodic minor, triton subs etc. connecting all these layers are chromatic notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'd appreciate a slower version too, thanks! Perhaps even a touch slower - 120bpm?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayx123
    doveman - you have a great bluesy vibe going on there. I can hear the your main vehicle is the minor pentatonic/blues scale. I hardly use this scale when improvising on the blues (I should use it more). IMHO if you are looking for a more "jazzy" sound this will be obtain if the minor pentatonic/blues scale is only one of the tools used to improvise on the blues and not the main vehicle.

When I improvise on the blues (or on any tune) I usually think in layers the basic layer is the key center so in the blues there are 3 key centers (on for each of the dom7 chords) then the next layer will be the arps and the top layers will be the rest of the tools such as using the blues scale, the melodic minor, triton subs etc. connecting all these layers are chromatic notes.
    Thanks for the feedback. In fact, I went through a good course on Truefire during the holidays on the subject and wish to try more of those scales, arpeggios, subs and chromatic connections. So I thought this tune was a really good first target. I thought I would just take a run through as I would in a jam session. Then ... learn and insert the head ... and think through some specific changes in the course ... see how it turns out. This tune is a nice target project. I just wish I was still on vacation ... but back to work today. So it may be next weekend.

During 2012, I really want to spice up my chops a bit and maybe record some jazz specifically. I'll still be a blues player in the end but I think my time spent here will help. Thanks again ...

User Info Menu

Yeah, truefire has some great lessons on jazz blues. I ripped a few from it last month.

I think when you start adding some 1 oatave arps mixed with chromatic and diatonic lines you will start hearing more options. There are some really cool idiomatic sequences to be incorporated as well. keep up the good work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brwnhornet59
    Yeah, truefire has some great lessons on jazz blues. I ripped a few from it last month.
    The Truefire lessons that I consumed were Bluesology 1 & 2 by Brad Carlton. Most of the ideas were really good and match some of the good feedback I've been getting here. That's the reason this tune caught my eye. I made a lot of notes and will try to incorporate them in a later version of this tune.

User Info Menu

Make sure you check out the 50 jazz blues licks. They are Taylor made for this template.

User Info Menu

I will definately check those out! Thanks for the tip.

User Info Menu

My favorite so far is the Benson lick.

I am glad that you are making head way. Keep up the good work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jessesmit
    (Holy crap this is fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    I'd appreciate a slower version too, thanks! Perhaps even a touch slower - 120bpm?
    Check the 1st post, I've added backing tracks at 120bpm

User Info Menu

Sorry to be late on this one, I didn't have time to do much with it. I apologize for the noisy background, (TV in the other room). I used a backing track from BIAB and the first two choruses are me trying to be creative with the comping. The other choruses are my improv, mostly by ear. I tried to stay away from pentatonics to get a more of a "cool jazz" feel and purposely didn't work much from the melody line. If I have time later this week, I will try to do a more up tempo version.

wiz

Straight No Chaser.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by wizard3739; 01-04-2012 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice work Wiz, I especially like what you do on the turnaround at the end of each chorus. and you surly have a cool vibe going on there.

what was that on 3:46?
    Jay