The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 88

User Info Menu

Thanks Jay, I love this thread, it is my favorite but I am so busy right now I don'f get to work on many of the tunes. The noise at 3:46 was a sneeze and I didn't have time to do another take.

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi everybody.

Wow, I never paid much attention to this tune but now that I do I recognize how hip and challenging it is...

I hope I´ll get around to posting something and I will surely take the time to listen to some of your versions.

Cheers,
    H.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Sorry to be late on this one, I didn't have time to do much with it. I apologize for the noisy background, (TV in the other room). I used a backing track from BIAB and the first two choruses are me trying to be creative with the comping. The other choruses are my improv, mostly by ear. I tried to stay away from pentatonics to get a more of a "cool jazz" feel and purposely didn't work much from the melody line. If I have time later this week, I will try to do a more up tempo version.

wiz

Straight No Chaser.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Really nice sound and vibe there Wiz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayx123
    So , Im the first to post a recording :-)
    here is me and the band having a go at it
    Hey Jayx,

Sounds real good, I like that you mixed it up on your solo with some chord punches and octaves. Nice lines, good groove, and I could hear the changes in your lines.

Nice job on the head and comping for the sax. I think you could try being a little bit more sparse during the bass solo.

Trading fours, nice job with that, your second go at it was hot, 4th one too.

User Info Menu

Thanks fep, waiting to hear your take on it :-)

User Info Menu

Great choice, and thanks to fep for the chart and backing tracks! This is one of the tunes I've never gotten quite right. I welcome the chance to focus on it, hear what others are doing with it, and finally get this sucker down.

User Info Menu

Excuse me. I bring my homework.

User Info Menu

I like your sound and the chromatic movements in your improvisation, AUGUSJAZZ! Nice take! Also, seems like you are using Charlie Parker lick very successfully)) The only one thing is, as for me, it's not necessary to try to play a tone of notes so fast, as you did just few times, your voicing is pretty nice without that))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Sorry to be late on this one, I didn't have time to do much with it. I apologize for the noisy background, (TV in the other room). I used a backing track from BIAB and the first two choruses are me trying to be creative with the comping. The other choruses are my improv, mostly by ear. I tried to stay away from pentatonics to get a more of a "cool jazz" feel and purposely didn't work much from the melody line. If I have time later this week, I will try to do a more up tempo version.

wiz

Straight No Chaser.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Nicely done wiz! How on earth did you recover so smoothly after that sneeze? That would have ended it for me. Also, why the comment about being late? There's still plenty of January left, or is it customary to try get a take in early?

User Info Menu

Great job Wiz!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by augusjazz

Hey Augusjazz. I liked your motifs. You did fine playing 1/8's and swinging.

I liked how you worked off of the melody at first as well.

Some of your quicker playing got you a little lost in the rhythm here and there, but hey, we all do that from time to time!

User Info Menu

I have heard some excellent versions of all of you.
    Thank you very much for the comments on my recording, I'll see you do another take correcting errors.
    There really is here a great deal of guitarists.

User Info Menu

really nice take Augusjazz. some cool lines, my only comment is that some of the fast runs were not that clean.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayx123
    really nice take Augusjazz. some cool lines, my only comment is that some of the fast runs were not that clean.

True, it's something I have to improve and to stop doing.
    Thank you very much for your comment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    A very enjoyable thread, a pleasure to follow, and 'well done' to all for your demonstrations and versions. Good work, very interesting and instructive (although I'm still a few light years away from participating myself, and that's not 'false modesty'..! )

Maybe your takes are just a tad conservative..? I offer this version for comparison...
    Ha! That's beautiful! I only wish I could play in Chick's league. That was fun, though.

User Info Menu

This is my take, I decided to fill up the whole backingtrack, so I became a little out of inspiration at the end..

Straight No Chaser - MeneerJelle.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

MeneerJelle, your jam is excellent, your phrasing is great!
    I loved it.
    Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Here's my first rough crack at it, after working on the head and letting a few ideas form:

Straight No Chaser (Cleaned Up)

I've been working with the 120bpm version so far, I might have to try speed it up a bit, see if I can play to the 160pm version. Hopefully I can get some nice new ideas and fine tune everything. I surprised myself a bit with this one, initially I wasn't too fond of it, but it sort of grew on me and now I like it.

Feedback and suggestions appreciated - thanks for listening!
    Last edited by JazzReggie; 01-09-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Updated version - cleaned up tone

User Info Menu

Good job.
    As a tip (although I'm not qualified to do so) is that you need to improve the vocabulary of jazz and a lick and melodically rhythmic work.
    Anyway, very well and hopes that someone more experienced comment.
    Greetings!

User Info Menu

Good job.
    As a tip (although I'm not qualified to do so) is that you need to improve the vocabulary of jazz and a lick and melodically rhythmic work.
    Anyway, very well and hopes that someone more experienced comment.
    Greetings!
    Thanks for listening and commenting. You're right, I do need to expand my jazz vocabulary! I'm fairly new to jazz guitar though, so I'm definitely working on it. I'm not sure what you mean by "a lick and melodically rhythmic work"?

I've updated my post with a cleaner version, sorry for all the dirt in the initial one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wein
    So I took a whack at this one today...I'm reading the head but I wanted to get a "before" snapshot of what I'm playing on this before I work on it:

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/sou.../SNC1-3-12.mp3

I'm primarily a Rock and Blues player who knows just enough about Jazz to be a danger to himself.

Now I'm going to listen to everyone elses takes and steal yer licks

Good job on this. I enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    I'm not sure what you mean by "a lick and melodically rhythmic work"?
    My English is google translator, lol.

I meant you to develop a lick melodically and rhythmically instead of playing many licks.

I like your take 2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kman
    I enjoyed it, thanks for posting.
    Thank you for listening and commenting.
    Glad you like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeneerJelle
    This is my take, I decided to fill up the whole backingtrack, so I became a little out of inspiration at the end..

Straight No Chaser - MeneerJelle.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Nice sound and good playing. Damn good thread here.